AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Active Contributor
RSasser
Message 1 of 8 (1,589 Views)

Annotative Power Dimensions

1589 Views, 7 Replies
10-25-2010 06:45 AM

I've created a dimension style named "Temporary" that is Annotative and set it as my current dimension style.  I set my annotation scale to 1/4"=1'-0", created a linear power dimension, and placed it below the object in Model space.  When I look at the Properties of the newly created dimension it shows:

Dim Style = Temporary$0

Annotative = No

I changed the annotation scale to 1/2"=1'-0" and power dimensioned the same object but placed the dimension above the object in Model space.  The new dimension does not look any different than the first one created (size-wise), however, the snapped distance away from the object was closer than the first (as expected).  When I looked at the Properties of the new dimension it showed:

Dim Style = Temporary$0

Annotative = No

I went to Layout1 (Paper space) and created two viewports.  One was set to an Annotation scale and Standard scale of 1/2"=1'-0" and the other was set with an Annotation scale and Standard scale of 1/4"=1'-0".  Both viewports showed the dimensions.  I went back into Model space and manually changed both dimensions to be Dim Style = Temporary (which automatically reverted both to show Annotative = Yes and both defaulted to the 1/2"-1'-0" Annotative scale).  I set the lower dimension to ONLY have the 1/4"-1'-0" annotation scale, however, it did not change in size (as I would have expected).  In Paper space, the appropriate annotatively scaled dimension is shown in each viewport (as expected), however, the annotative properties (i.e. 1/8" text height) was not maintained for the 1/4"-1'-0" dimension.

I'm sure that I am not doing something that I should be doing with annotative dimensions and power dimensions, however, I have not figured out what I should be doing and have not found any information on the matter, yet.  How do I use annotative dimensioning styles (which includes the visibility control in viewports) with power dimensions?  What process should I be using to set them up?

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 8 (1,579 Views)

Re: Annotative Power Dimensions

10-25-2010 07:32 AM in reply to: RSasser

Did you remember to also create a text STYLE that is annotative and assign it to your annotative dimstyle? In your post I did not see mention of that requirement being done.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 3 of 8 (1,532 Views)

10-25-2010 12:16 PM in reply to: RSasser

The clue that something is wrong is when you listed the dimstyle and got temporary$0 instead of temporary.  Audit and purge your drawing and try with another dimstyle name.

And no, you don't need the text style to be annotative for it to work in dims.  I just tried it and it worked fine with a non-associative text style (r2011).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
*Expert Elite*
ToanDN
Message 4 of 8 (1,527 Views)

10-25-2010 01:13 PM in reply to: RSasser

Save your typing by just posting the drawing, perhaps?  And what the heck is a power dimension?

*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 5 of 8 (1,514 Views)

10-25-2010 02:40 PM in reply to: ToanDN

ToanDN wrote:

Save your typing by just posting the drawing, perhaps?  And what the heck is a power dimension?

Power  Dimension is a Mechanical Desktop dimension. Which may be the problem seeing they used a different style and settings than Standard AutoCAD dimensiions style.

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.
Active Contributor
RSasser
Message 6 of 8 (1,430 Views)

11-01-2010 12:27 PM in reply to: RSasser

I had experienced this in another drawing and started with a fresh file (acad default dwt) to test the results.  The results were the same which is why I came to the forums to try to find a solution.

Active Contributor
RSasser
Message 7 of 8 (1,428 Views)

11-01-2010 12:33 PM in reply to: ToanDN

I do not believe it is a drawing specific issue so I did not post a drawing.

A power dimension is as follows:

The AMPOWERDIM command prompts you to select two points to create a linear dimension. The dimension line appears in the drawing area and the program prompts you to specify the dimension location. As you move the dimension line, depending on the direction of drag, the dimension line snaps to become a horizontal, vertical, or aligned dimension.

(Source: AutoCAD Mechanical 2011 Help)

Active Contributor
RSasser
Message 8 of 8 (1,428 Views)

11-01-2010 12:39 PM in reply to: Murph

All dimensioning tools in the Home and Annotate ribbons utilize some option of AMPOWERDIM.  Without creating a separate toolbar to use regular dimension commands (i.e. dimlinear or dim1, horizontal), can I control the power dimensions via annotation scales?  Will I have to revert to creating dimension styles for each dimension scale needed (considering I dimension in model space and not in paper space)?

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.