AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

anita.brown76
Message 1 of 13 (809 Views)
Accepted Solution

Angled/Curved lines appear grey in PDF format

809 Views, 12 Replies
01-23-2013 02:02 PM

I've recently had to export DWG files to PDF and the lines print in black whether they are angled/curved or straight.  The problem I'm experiencing is that a number of objects that have been rotated at an angle or lines that are curved appear dark grey on the screen in PDF format.  I'm using the DWG to PDF. pc3 with monochrome setting selected.  I've checked the Plot Style Table Editor and all colours have been selected to print 'black'; greyscale is 'off' and screening is at 100%.  Is this a 'bug' or is there a fix for this problem?

Thanks

Anita

I use FOXIT Reader: I understand from others the current Adobe Reader does not have this problem, but I don't know that for a fact.

Mentor
Nik-D
Message 2 of 13 (795 Views)

Re: Angled/Curved lines appear grey in PDF format

01-24-2013 01:19 AM in reply to: anita.brown76

Just so that i understand correctly,

You print using the built in PDF printer, All lines etc are set to black, your plot style table is monochrome, and only some of the lines (not all) are printing in dark grey, while others print in black?

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 3 of 13 (790 Views)

01-24-2013 05:55 AM in reply to: anita.brown76

Which PDF reader are you using? Adobe Acrobat's current versions (9 and up) are notorious for screen-tricks to speed up their bloated software: actually check these "gray" objects by zooming in on them in the PDF reader you are using, bet they look the same as the straight lines next to them.

For many, plotting to an Adobe purchased PDF driver fixes the problem in Adobe Acrobat reader's display for some reason, not sure why or how. Using a different PDF reader seems to fix it for those of use not willing to pay Adobe any more money.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
anita.brown76
Message 4 of 13 (779 Views)

01-24-2013 10:10 AM in reply to: Nik-D

Nik-D

Yep, the printer selection is DWG to PDF.pc3 and monochrome has been selected in Plot Table Style.  I've deduced that only lines that are curved or angled (not using ortho mode) appear grey in PDF format.  I've created a test drawing to show this. 

Thanks

Anita

anita.brown76
Message 5 of 13 (778 Views)

01-24-2013 10:12 AM in reply to: pendean

Pendean,

I'm using Adobe Reader 9.  I've heard that this is a common issue with Adobe - if you're suggesting using a different PDF reader which one should I use?

Thanks

Anita

Mentor
Nik-D
Message 6 of 13 (774 Views)

01-24-2013 10:57 AM in reply to: anita.brown76

Pendean is correct in his assessment of the fault. At first glance the pdf created seems to have grey lines on items that have been rotaed however if you zoom in a bit you will see that the lines become black. I suspect that if you print the draing from pdf to paper all will be well.

anita.brown76
Message 7 of 13 (769 Views)

01-24-2013 11:07 AM in reply to: Nik-D

Nik-D

Yea, I'm sensing that the problem is the PDF Reader and yep when you zoom into the PDF the lines do become black but if you send this drawing to a client - for professional standards it would be nice if they could look at the entire drawing with consistent black lines without having to zoom in!  It just looks a little off when some lines are black and some aren't!!

Thanks for your reply.

Anita

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 8 of 13 (749 Views)

01-26-2013 05:55 AM in reply to: anita.brown76

Hi,

>> I'm sensing that the problem is the PDF Reader

And what PDF-reader do you use? For me it does not any line looks grey (opening with Acrobat Reader X).

Another question (again, as this was also asked by Nik-D): does it look grey if you print it? If no ==> that would be the same question I would ask your client.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 9 of 13 (742 Views)

01-27-2013 07:34 AM in reply to: anita.brown76

I use FOXIT Reader: I understand from others the current Adobe Reader does not have this problem, but I don't know that for a fact.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
anita.brown76
Message 10 of 13 (734 Views)

01-27-2013 08:20 AM in reply to: pendean

BINGO!!!  Thank you Pendean!!!  I just downloaded Foxit Reader and all the lines are now black!!  Result!!! :smileyhappy:

Anita

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.