Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing AutoCAD 2011 files over the WAN

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
billshaffer5767
964 Views, 4 Replies

Accessing AutoCAD 2011 files over the WAN

I have a user who has been accessing drawings on another server over the WAN. Occasionally he has not been able to save files to that server and have been given "file write protected" message. The userI called a team member in that office to see if anyone is accessing the files and they tell him no one has been accessing any of his files. What he does to resolve the problem is to save the file under a different name. Exit Autocad. Restart Autocad. He then can save the file to that server. The user has full access rights to the server and files. Is it some configuration inside AutoCAD? Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
braudpat
in reply to: billshaffer5767

Hello

Welcome to the Autodesk/AutoCAD Forums !

Q1) Have you tried on this "special" PC with Anti-Virus and Firewall disabled ?

Q2) Which kind of Server : Win 2003 , Win 2008 , Win 2012 , other ??

Q3) Have you installed the SP1 then the SP2 on your ACAD 2011 ?

I think it's not the problem ! But it's better !!

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
pendean
in reply to: billshaffer5767

WAN is not reliable: if it times out or hiccups AutoCAD assumes the file is locked so your user gets that message.
It has nothing to do with anyone else touching their file: AutoCAD requires 100% all the time live access to the file.

Start working on your WAN and any time-out settings etc. From both ends, user and "office".
Message 4 of 5
billshaffer5767
in reply to: braudpat

Q1) Have you tried on this "special" PC with Anti-Virus and Firewall disabled ? YES

Q2) Which kind of Server : Win 2003 , Win 2008 , Win 2012 , other ?? Win 2008 R2

Q3) Have you installed the SP1 then the SP2 on your ACAD 2011 ? No, my other machines have the same build and service pak.

I will look at other options and see what I can find to resolve.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Shaffer
Ops IT SD Engineering Group Atlanta
Norcross, Georgia 30093
678-966-4438
770-313-4293 cell

POWER Engineers, Inc.
Energy ? Facilities ? Communications ? Environmental
www.powereng.com
Message 5 of 5

Hi Bill,

To add to what has been mentioned so far, have a look at these links:

http://qvlweb.blogspot.com/2009/03/autocad-error-unable-to-save-to-drawing.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684

With only one person accessing the DWG file in question, the first link seems to be a common fix. If more than one person is involved with accessing the same file, then there is probably a timing issue between your workstation, network, and file server. Make sure that your computer isn't turning on a screen saver or going to sleep. That could help "break" the connection to your file server. You might also check your network adapter to make sure its duplex setting matches your server's.

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost