AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Distinguished Contributor
cnibbe
Message 1 of 28 (1,553 Views)

3Dconnexion: What was the point?

1553 Views, 27 Replies
12-13-2010 07:20 AM

What I want to know, from Autodesk, is this: What was the point of making the programming native in Autocad2011 for the 3Dconnexion mice? 

When these devices are purchased they come with the firmware and drivers needed anyway to make them work with many types of software.  Why would Autodesk only partially take something over if the end result is NOT going to be as good, or better, than the previous version? 

It wasn't broke before, so why did you "fix" it to make it worse for no apparent (end user based) reason? 

I can not come close to duplicating the smooth functionality of the mouse for 2011, no matter how many combinations of settings I try, that I enjoy(ed) in Acad2010.

Valued Mentor
JohnHolder
Message 2 of 28 (1,517 Views)

Re: 3Dconnexion: What was the point?

12-13-2010 11:01 AM in reply to: cnibbe

yeah I found that too.  I have a 3dconnexion mouse aswell and I never use it.  The regular mouse works so much smoother.

aswell as the mouse, I use a G13 logitech gamepad for an extra 28 macro keys for the commands I use alot.

great combo.

but for the 3d mouse, I wish I never bought it.

An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't.
-------------------------------------
"Do or do not... there is no try"
Master Yoda.
Valued Mentor
stevenelliott3894
Message 3 of 28 (1,514 Views)

12-13-2010 11:26 AM in reply to: cnibbe

Yeah, the crappy 3DConnexion internal implementation is the exact reason I went back to using 2010. Why would they let somebody so brain dead design the interface for the controls? It boggles the mind. This program is on a steady decline, in my opinion.

Steven Elliott

When I was a little bitty boy, my grandmother bought me a cute little toy. Silver bells hangin' on a string... she told me it was my ding-a-ling-a-ling!
Valued Contributor
clrbedwards
Message 4 of 28 (1,467 Views)

12-15-2010 07:27 AM in reply to: cnibbe

I too am very disapointed in this change.  My $100.00 3D mouse is now useless to me with AutoCAD 2011.  As well as being very slow, there is no longer an option to pick a center of rotation.  Response from Autodesk is that this is a well known issue, and they are working on it.  Grrrrrrrrr.

Valued Mentor
stevenelliott3894
Message 5 of 28 (1,465 Views)

12-15-2010 07:30 AM in reply to: clrbedwards

Hopefully, you have the option of going back to 2010, as I did. None of the new features of 2011 are worth the productivity loss of gimping my 3D mouse.

Steven Elliott

When I was a little bitty boy, my grandmother bought me a cute little toy. Silver bells hangin' on a string... she told me it was my ding-a-ling-a-ling!
plawton5092
Message 6 of 28 (923 Views)

04-27-2011 06:55 AM in reply to: cnibbe

You folks all have experience with the 3D mouse, so I have a question:  What IS the point?  I mean, can you perform any editing functions on your model while you are rotating it?  I bought one, used it for 15 minutes, and concluded that it is the exact same thing as the 3dOrbit command, using your left hand.  Why bother?

Am I missing something?

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 7 of 28 (913 Views)

04-27-2011 07:47 AM in reply to: plawton5092

plawton5092 wrote:

I mean, can you perform any editing functions on your model while you are rotating it? 
Am I missing something?

Ask the people using real 3D CAD like Inventor, SolidWorks or Pro/E.  They would not be willing to give up their 3D mouse.

If only it worked as smoothly in AutoCAD.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
cnibbe
Message 8 of 28 (908 Views)

04-27-2011 07:56 AM in reply to: plawton5092

have you ever worked in a 3D file and had to constantly orbit and pan around in the file in order to get the proper position for proper editing, and had your mouse hand ache because of the repetition, then you learn to use and appreciate the 3D controller type mice.

If you don't have the repetitive motion discomfort, then you don't need or have a use for the left-handed 3D mouse.

It's that simple, really.

So Autodesk, has this issue been satisfactorily resolved in the 2012 release?

Valued Mentor
stevenelliott3894
Message 9 of 28 (905 Views)

04-27-2011 07:59 AM in reply to: plawton5092

The point is that, using the 3D mouse, I can change the view at any time... even in the middle of commands. Once you get used to using it, it becomes indispensable for serious 3D work. Even in a 'non-real' 3D app like AutoCAD :smileywink:. At least it was that way until AutoDesk took over the driver development and royally screwed everything up. And no, it isn't fixed in 2012. They don't seem to care about us 3D mouse users at all... which makes me ask why the hell did they take over the driver development if they weren't going to do it right? The only reasonable answer I can think of is whomever was put in charge of the driver development didn't have a clue what he/she was doing. And AutoDesk doesn't care, as I already mentioned.

Still using AutoCAD 2010... at least until JDMather decides to gift me a 'real' 3D modelling application. :smileyvery-happy:

Steven Elliott

plawton5092
Message 10 of 28 (900 Views)

04-27-2011 08:11 AM in reply to: stevenelliott3894

For me the best answer is

"If you don't have the repetitive motion discomfort, then you don't need or have a use for the left-handed 3D mouse. It's that simple, really."

However, other answers have generated another question:  Is it possible that the 'non-real' 3d AutoCAD is actually more difficult to manipulate?  The Real 3D CAD programs (for big boys! ;---) must have extensive enahancements to model manipulation, right?  Considering that, is it safe to conclude that my using vanilla AutoCAD for creating complex 3d models and assemblies for nearly 20 years (since R12) has made my hand less prone to any form of repetitive motion issues? (That, and the past three years of pure Revit MEP, which is nearly all 3-D)

In any case, I'm just asking - I've already returned my 3d mouse, but I believe that it helps the folks who like it.

Thanks!

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.