AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

fabfab1
Message 1 of 2 (281 Views)

3D Solid from 2 3dpoly = getting only a surface

281 Views, 1 Replies
06-26-2012 10:39 AM

Hello! I'm having a problem creating a 3D Solid from two 3dpoly lines. I'm attaching a script file which reproduces the two 3dpoly lines to use for the LOFT command. As you can see when running it, I have two closed 3dpoly lines which use exactly the same X,Y coordinates and differ only in the Z axis. I'd like to make a 3D Solid with these lines, which should be possible using the LOFT command... but I only get a surface around the 'sides'.

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions you can give me. Thanks in advance for your time!

Ian Kelly

PS. I needed to remove the .scr extension from the file in order to attach it, so to run it you need to replace .txt with .scr at the end of the filename. It's a standard ASCII script file. If someone prefers I can also give the coordinates of the 3dpoly lines as a post.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 2 (249 Views)

Re: 3D Solid from 2 3dpoly = getting only a surface

07-03-2012 04:28 AM in reply to: fabfab1

Hi,

the above polyline is not planar, so you have to create the cap manually. There are multiple solutions possible of how this cap could be solved, so there is no automatism by default available ==> but you can look to command _SURFPATCH, select the upper edges, play with the tangent-options and be surprised)

BTW: it's not a good way to create add a vertex on the end of a poly that has the coordinates of the start-point. Skip this point before you close your poly.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.