AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

dabgdk
Message 1 of 13 (538 Views)
Accepted Solution

XP Pro SP3 Reboot On start Autocad

538 Views, 12 Replies
12-14-2012 05:54 AM
Hello, I cleaned up a client computer (windows xp sp3) which had autocad 2008 and photoshop cs6 on it. After doing so, everything is running smoothly, with two exceptions: autocad and photoshop both refuse to start. In fact, starting either program causes the computer to reboot before they fully load. I've tried removing autocad and reinstalling it, with the same results: starting autocad reboots the system. I've also tried re-installing the graphics drivers. Same results. If it helps at all: I was unable to install photoshop cs 6, too. Attempting to install it causes the system to crash at the point that the product activation service attempts to start. I attempted re-installing XP SP3, but this did not change anything either. Does anyone have any suggestions whatsoever? Is there some hidden dependency for these programs that I might have disabled when cleaning the computer?

As long as you are using a disk with the same version of the OS, it won't matter if you installing over the top.

For example, Win XP Pro disk over a Win XP Pro install will work but a Win XP Pro over a Win Xp Home won't.

Go to the My Computer icon and right click on it, then select properties. The General tab in the box that pops up should show Who the software is registered to and the activation key. Write those down for safe keeping.

Start the Win re-install and install to the main directory. You should get a box saying that an existing version of windows is there and asking to confirm to install over it.

The install program should pick up the existing activation key without you having to do anything there.

As for the paragraphs, I use two hits of the enter key to spread things out. You must make sure that you have a US keyboard setting in windows otherwise your linefeeds are stripped out of the text.

Regards Brad

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 13 (534 Views)

Re: XP Pro SP3 Reboot On start Autocad

12-14-2012 06:20 AM in reply to: dabgdk
What "cleaning" did you perform exactly?
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 3 of 13 (523 Views)

12-14-2012 07:32 AM in reply to: dabgdk

Hi,

are Photoshop and AutoCAD the only applications with high memory usage? If so I would test the memory modules.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
dabgdk
Message 4 of 13 (517 Views)

12-14-2012 07:55 AM in reply to: pendean
Multiple services disabled, startup entries removed. However, I think the problem may have occurred upon removal of some programs from the control panel. One particular instance comes to mind: "This file is in use by other programs. Are you sure you'd like to remove it?" That particular message occurred when removing one of many strange entries in the control panel. Bear in mind that this system was a mess- multiple "smiley" programs installed, and the like. As for the services I disabled: things like "Apple Mobile Device Service", "Computer Browser", "Error Reporting Service" and other garbage. I have done this many times before, though not on systems with autocad/photoshop, so I have a very good idea of which services are necessary for the system to run and which are questionable. For example, the "FLEXnet Licensing Service" must not be disabled, otherwise adobe products (such as photoshop) will not start. I have never seen a situation like this, though, in which attempting to start a program consistently causes the system to reboot without a blue screen.
dabgdk
Message 5 of 13 (510 Views)

12-14-2012 08:29 AM in reply to: dabgdk
Looking back on this, I think that Photoshop was having trouble starting BEFORE I removed any of the programs with the control panel. So this issue might be solely caused by my disabling programs / services from starting. If that is the case, I'd be more inclined to think that a disabled service would be the cause of the issue. Are there any known services that Autocad MUST have enabled to run? Alternatively, perhaps this is still an issue with graphics drivers? From what I've read and heard, Autocad and Photoshop have some strange relationship with the Windows graphics drivers. The thing is, the graphics drivers were reinstalled, and the issue remains.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 6 of 13 (491 Views)

12-15-2012 06:48 AM in reply to: dabgdk
Ensure XP's DEP is not blocking the startup: otherwise I suspect you did more harm than good and it's time to reformat the HD and start from scratch (OS and apps).
dabgdk
Message 7 of 13 (478 Views)

12-16-2012 06:19 AM in reply to: pendean
Is DEP enabled by default? The services have all been re-enabled (set to automatic). The system still reboots on starting autocad. There are no other suggestions than to wipe the system?
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 8 of 13 (470 Views)

12-16-2012 01:46 PM in reply to: dabgdk
DEP has the ability to ignore apps: start it up and explore, wondering from afar is not the best approach.
*Expert Elite*
Icemanau
Message 9 of 13 (464 Views)

12-16-2012 02:56 PM in reply to: pendean

Computer Browser is a required service. Try enabling it again and see if that helps.

If all else fails, Try a re-install over the top of windows. This should enable all the required services as well as replacing any modified files without disturbing any installed programs.

From the sounds of it, this user may need to be restricted from installing any add ons or additional programs.

Apple Mobile Device service is for I-tunes and I-Pad/I-Pod connections, so that is not a loss unless your company uses I-Pads in the field. Bonjour is the service that actually connects the I device to the internet so you may want to disable that as well.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman)

dabgdk
Message 10 of 13 (450 Views)

12-17-2012 05:41 AM in reply to: Icemanau
The computer browser service is not a required service for Windows itself unless you are trying to share files in a workgroup. Are you saying Autocad requires this service to run properly? That would be extremely odd if that was the case. Yes, a reinstall over top of Windows would be ideal, but the problem is that this computer is a personal home computer that might not have the original disks (if it even came with them). So I wanted to avoid a complete reinstall if possible (hence re-installing service pack 3). I have no love of Apple software on the Windows platform. All kinds of hidden little startup routines and services are added to your system without any explanation or valid reason for their being placed there.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.