AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

darcyalaska
Message 1 of 7 (1,084 Views)

When linking to a .jp2 file, junk .png files get created in our temp folder

1084 Views, 6 Replies
06-30-2009 09:02 AM
When we reference .jp2 images into our drawings, AutoCAD creates duplicate .png files in each of our hard drives. When I pull up the File References list in one of these drawings, I see an unreferenced .png file linked to a temp folder belonging to every employee who has ever opened this drawing. Nowhere in that list do I see the original .jp2 file saved to our network.

As far as I can tell, this is only happening with .jp2 files, not with .sid, .tif or .jpg files.

What is going on here? Is there a setting or plug-in needed for CAD to process .jp2 files? Or if it cannot, is there a way to get CAD to drop these .png files it is generating to the original location of the .jp2 image on our network, instead of saving them to our hard drives?

Please advise!

Best,
Stephanie
darcyalaska
Message 2 of 7 (1,084 Views)

Re: When linking to a .jp2 file, junk .png files get created in our temp folder

08-31-2009 09:59 AM in reply to: darcyalaska
We are still having these issues will all jpeg 2000 files. (If it helps in troubleshooting, we have the new object enabler). Can anybody help us with this?

If it helps, I have attached an image of what our pathing issue looks like. The original jp2 file (in the example: AUSTIN_EAST_SWC3.jp2) is saved on our network, but a separate series of numerically differentiated png files is automatically created, saved to our individual hard drives & re-referenced to that new location. The png files created & saved to our hard drives are huge files.

We are stuck & any advice you can give us would be greatly appreciated.
*Dean Saadallah
Message 3 of 7 (1,084 Views)

08-31-2009 10:04 AM in reply to: darcyalaska
JPEG2000 is not a supported format with plain AutoCAD2009, see Help for
details on supported formats. Installing the RasterDesign Enabler might be a
workaround, or you could just change formats.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
darcyalaska
Message 4 of 7 (1,084 Views)

09-01-2009 09:10 AM in reply to: darcyalaska
We actually do have the RasterDesign Enabler installed. From what I've gathered, it looks like we have no option but to convert our jp2s to tifs... which then become insanely huge. Sigh.

Oh, & I forgot to mention another problem we have with the jp2s. Once we bring in the image, we can neither detach nor unload it, which is a huge problem, obviously.

Dear Autodesk: please fix this problem!
*Expert Elite*
ToanDN
Message 5 of 7 (1,084 Views)

09-02-2009 11:54 AM in reply to: darcyalaska
Why not convert them to PNG or JPG instead of TIF?
rmthompson
Message 6 of 7 (1,084 Views)

05-18-2010 08:48 AM in reply to: darcyalaska
Did you ever find a solution to your problem? We have this same issue with a sid file. I have created a support request so we will see what they have to say about it. I will post any solutions they find.
jmartin
Message 7 of 7 (720 Views)

07-21-2011 09:50 AM in reply to: darcyalaska

Also desperately looking for a solution to this, though due to SID format files as in message 6, connected with FDO in Civ3D LD Companion 2008. Sometimes the temporary PNG files disappear on their own, sometimes they don't. What I really need is a way to remove the endless phantom "! Unreferenced" entries from the External References palette (see screen capture) that point to temporary PNG files long since vanished. Unloading, detaching, purging, -purge regapps, classicimage detach, disconnecting FDO, deleting FDO - all fruitless. I've attached a typical dwg as well.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.