AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

Contributor
asquires
Message 11 of 16 (363 Views)

Re: Tool Palettes

05-24-2010 07:49 AM in reply to: Kells
I don't believe the Tool Palettes are a part of the CUI, so if this does get corrupted you are still going to have your tool palettes? Toolbars maybe, and AutoSave isn't going to do much for your CUI. I noticed it does however create a backup of your CUI everytime you change it for example it creates a acad.cui.bak file when the acad.cui has been changed. I assume this is automatic and I haven't seen any setting where this can be disabled. I wouldn't think you would want to disable it either. I have since begun backing up my whole Support folder just incase these things occur. I would recommend this to everyone.
*Expert Elite*
PaulMunford
Message 12 of 16 (363 Views)

05-24-2010 01:56 PM in reply to: Kells
Toolpalettes are a separate entity to the CUI. The CUI/workspace may control which toolpalettes are on view, but that's all.

I think it's important to find out why your tool palettes aren't being created. I'm in uncharted waters here, but here's a another thing to try...

Open your options, scroll down to the tool palettes node, add a new path to a folder on your C:drive - a new palette should be created automagically.
The CAD Setter Out Blog @CadSetterOut

Inventor Surfacing | AutoCAD | CAD Standards

Please use the Mark Solutions! Accept as Solution or Give Kudos! Kudos functions - Thank you!
Contributor
asquires
Message 13 of 16 (361 Views)

06-30-2010 01:52 PM in reply to: PaulMunford

Paul,

I am just getting around to your suggestion, I was able to get the program to create a new palettte when I removed the default tool palette location path and added a one to a folder located on my desktop. I then looked into the folder and it had a New Palette file in there which reads....

New Palette_85401254-29B9-482A-A2B3-74F49C88CED2.atc

Now the problem is I can't change the name from New Palette, as I am wanting to call it what the palette will be named. For examle to:

Testing Palette_85401254-29B9-482A-A2B3-74F49C88CED2.atc

I close the program, rename the file and then upon starting up AutoCAD it creates another New Palette file in addition to the one I renamed.

Distinguished Contributor
sschwartz
Message 14 of 16 (345 Views)

07-06-2010 01:16 PM in reply to: asquires

We use shared tool palettes on a server. When changes are made, I need to manually "export" each palette to a single location (theoretically this could be on your local), delete the sub-folder with the same name, and overwrite the tool palette (.xtp) file you are exporting. AutoCAD will re-create the subfolder it just deleted.

I hope this info helps.

*Expert Elite*
PaulMunford
Message 15 of 16 (333 Views)

07-14-2010 05:01 AM in reply to: asquires

I don't think re-nameing the file out side Autocad is a good idea.

You can create two copies of your files, one on the server and one on your C:smileyvery-happy:rive. Use Profiles to switch the paths betwhen the two. when you are happy with the changes, copy them from your C:drive to the server - overwiting the origionals. Make sure that you lock the ones on the server so that the other users don't overwrite your changes.

The CAD Setter Out Blog @CadSetterOut

Inventor Surfacing | AutoCAD | CAD Standards

Please use the Mark Solutions! Accept as Solution or Give Kudos! Kudos functions - Thank you!
1awhite
Message 16 of 16 (110 Views)

09-30-2011 07:42 AM in reply to: Kells

I am in Autocad 2012 and the same issue is happening for me.  When I try to create new palettes, the palette is created but with nothing in it.  I can only drag blocks onto the "out-of-the-box" palettes.  I am able to copy and paste blocks from the "out-of-the-box" palettes to my new, empty palette.  However, none of the new palettes I create are saved when I exit my AutoCAD session and re-launch AutoCAD.  Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.