AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

Distinguished Contributor
leonardlorden
Message 1 of 6 (67 Views)

Sheet Sets - quirks I haven't figured out

67 Views, 5 Replies
06-12-2007 01:09 PM
I started playing with the SSM when I upgraded to 2008, but have reverted back to 2007 and have some issues with each version that perhaps you can help me with.

1) In both the 2007 and 2008 versions, whenever I place a named view in paper space (via right click on a previously named/created Model View through the SSM), the associated block that is placed with the VP gets tagged with a "(2)" suffix to the view name, such as "SECTION A(2)". I can remove the suffix after insertion by using the Rename/Renumber option in the sheet views tab of the SSM after insertion. I would believe this is telling me that there is already another placement of this VP but this happens with the very first placement of any view. Is there a method or a step I might be missing that would prevent this suffix from being tagged on? *baffled*

2) 2007 Allows me to create View Categories when creating a named view, 2008 does not and forces me to create them after all views are loaded into the SSM. I assume this is a new bug or is there a new method to accomplishing this?

3) I read in other posts that a SS cannot share a drawing with another SS. I have several manufactured parts that are utilized in several different assemblies and creating a SS that allowed me to point to a file at any network location to include for printing would be a very handy tool. Any suggestions on how this might be accomplished? Message was edited by: llorden
leonardlorden
Message 2 of 6 (67 Views)

Re: Sheet Sets - quirks I haven't figured out

06-12-2007 02:31 PM in reply to: leonardlorden
Something else I forgot to post...

Let's say I've got this large SS going, some 30 sheets or so and I get a revision and now must add another sheet and I opt to relocate some views to another sheet. Is there a process to move the VP to another sheet and keep the association with the callouts located throughout the various positions in the drawing? Assume in this case that all 30+/- sheets are different layout tabs in one file though would be curious to know if it would work in seperate files I suppose. From my experiments I have to delete the original VP, place a new VP at the new desired location, then go back through the entire drawing and delete/replace all the callouts to that VP. Copying the VP to another sheet didn't keep the association either. Surely there is an easier method?
*Jason Piercey
Message 3 of 6 (67 Views)

06-12-2007 03:59 PM in reply to: leonardlorden
wrote in message news:5624054@discussion.autodesk.com...

> 1) gets tagged with a "(2)" suffix to the view name,

Is model view you defined in the same sheet as the
one you are placing it on? If so, that is why. The
view already exists in the drawing so I presume the
SSM needs to make the placed view name different.
If you define your model views in an xref, that does
not happen.

> 2) 2007 Allows me to create View Categories
> when creating a named view, 2008 does not
> and forces me to create them after all views are
> loaded into the SSM. I assume this is a new bug
> or is there a new method to accomplishing this?

I've not seen this behavior. I can assign view them
at the time of view creation. Is this something you
can reproduce at will?

> 3.) creating a SS that allowed me to point to a file at
> any network location to include for printing would
> be a very handy tool. Any suggestions on how this
> might be accomplished?

Nope. A single layout can only be part of one set.

--
Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator
*Jason Piercey
Message 4 of 6 (67 Views)

06-12-2007 04:00 PM in reply to: leonardlorden
Unfortunately, no.

--

wrote in message news:5624186@discussion.autodesk.com...

> Is there a process to move the VP to another
> sheet and keep the association with the callouts
*Jason Piercey
Message 5 of 6 (67 Views)

06-12-2007 04:03 PM in reply to: leonardlorden
Say what?

ahem...

I can assign view categories at the time
of view creation.

--

"Jason Piercey" wrote in message
news:5624278@discussion.autodesk.com...
wrote in message news:5624054@discussion.autodesk.com...

> I can assign view them at the time of view creation.
leonardlorden
Message 6 of 6 (67 Views)

06-13-2007 06:08 AM in reply to: leonardlorden
1) Oh, I think I see. The SSM is really designed to work with seperate files and not just a single file with multiple layouts. The (2) suffix is simply because the view I named in model space is placed within the same file, though in paper space.

2) I no longer have 2008 loaded, but when I created a named view the field for setting categories would not allow me to type in anything and was consistent in its perfromance. Maybe I just had a bad load as it appears you are able to. Perhaps it will work fine when next I load it after a service pack is released.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.