AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

Active Contributor
fishman1
Message 1 of 16 (540 Views)

rendering simulating trees and people with opacity maps

540 Views, 15 Replies
06-06-2008 01:30 PM
i am using a 2008 student version of autocad,i am self taught i have made pretty good progress drawing in 3d and creating some simple renderings but i am trying to add trees and people with opacity maps i already can insert 3d models of trees and people but i would like to learn how to use the maps too , i have the book mastering autocad 2008 and autocad lt 2008 by george omura, i am trying to do the example he gives starting on page 679 simulating trees and people with opacity maps i can create the material and planar surface but when it comes to rendering the planar box still shows up i thought it would be invisible and just the tree would show up i hope someone can help thanks
Distinguished Contributor
JNieman
Message 2 of 16 (540 Views)

Re: rendering simulating trees and people with opacity maps

06-08-2008 10:34 AM in reply to: fishman1
Is your opacity map set to "fit to gizmo" ?

It's actually hard to trouble shoot your case without the actual object, really. There're many things that could make it fail that are common mistakes.

To make an object that you want, there're a few things that need happen.

I usually use a box with minimal thickness, myself, but a region or surface would work the same, I assume.

First, the object must have the diffuse map set to the image of the tree as it would appear in reality.

Second, it must have an opacity map that marks the parts NOT to be shown in black. The remaining area that WILL be shown can be in any color, but generally and simply put, the darker the pixel, the more transparent it'll be. That's why you typically see black-and-white images, or in certain cases, greyscale images. Sometimes you want varying transparency, but usually it's just a black/white "cutout"

Third, make sure these maps are sync'd up with eachother. Make sure all scale, rotation, offset, tiling, etc settings are equal. I suggest using "Fit to Gizmo" for trees and such, which is basically meaning "scale to fit" the map to your object, and just scaling the physical surface/box/region to get the size of the tree. Sort of backwards to normal, but more intuitive to me, for landscaping.

Those are the minimum requirements I can think of. I'm pretty sure I didn't leave anything out, let me know if it doesn't work and I'll dig.
Active Contributor
fishman1
Message 3 of 16 (540 Views)

06-09-2008 06:19 AM in reply to: fishman1
i am using a diffuse map and an opacity map of a tree that is from an autocad 2007 mastering autocad book exercise book they both are tfif in your second step you say it must have an opacity map that marks the parts not to be shown in black what remaing area are you talking about the darker pixel the box that was created to place the tree on i am trying what you posted now i will let you know if it works thanks
Active Contributor
fishman1
Message 4 of 16 (540 Views)

06-10-2008 06:17 AM in reply to: fishman1
i can not get the remainder of the box that the tree is on to be transparent the tree and the box that it is on show up when i render it
JNieman
Message 5 of 16 (540 Views)

06-10-2008 08:09 AM in reply to: fishman1
Well, sorry, without at least a screenshot, render image, or the file, I can't really help. Provide any of these, and I'll be happy to address any issues.
*John Schmidt
Message 6 of 16 (540 Views)

06-10-2008 10:35 AM in reply to: fishman1
It's been a while, but don't you have to have something like "ray trace"
rendering turned on?

John

"nephewm" wrote in message news:5953236@discussion.autodesk.com...
i can not get the remainder of the box that the tree is on to be transparent
the tree and the box that it is on show up when i render it
Active Contributor
fishman1
Message 7 of 16 (540 Views)

06-10-2008 01:48 PM in reply to: fishman1
sorry to bother you again i am sending you a drawing with the maps attached let me know if this is sufficient thanks again
JNieman
Message 8 of 16 (540 Views)

06-10-2008 03:20 PM in reply to: fishman1
It's no bother at all.

You'd have to send me the maps as well.

The maps are separate image files and do not get sent automatically with the DWG file.

However, in looking at the material "Tree" I can see that you have the map's scale (Under the Material Scaling and Tiling section of the materials palette) set to a specific height and width (300) using the units 'feet'.

I understand that the object is exactly 300' x 300' but... I suggest setting the scale to "Fit to Gizmo" to see what happens. This is my normal process and have never had a problem.

Also, I'm not sure what your results have been looking like, but is what you see, perchance the side faces (your 3D Solid has a thickness of 1/8") ? If the thickness of the results you talk about seems along the lines of that, it could be possible. In that case I suggest using a rectangle-turned-region (via region command) or a rectangular surface. That would be a 2D object that can still be assigned a material.

Send the maps, then I can render it myself, I can see exactly what is going on, and suggest something that will get the results you desire. Without knowing 100% for sure what your actual problem is, by seeing it specifically, I am grasping at straws a bit.
Active Contributor
fishman1
Message 9 of 16 (540 Views)

06-11-2008 06:56 AM in reply to: fishman1
thanks for all your on going help i tried to attach the diffuse and opacity maps for the tree but a message came up file too large to send so i am sending you a diffuse map and an opacity map of people the concept of placing people in a rendering and trees are the same i want to place them on a box like the tree i hope this will help this message has the diffuse map the next one will have the opacity map
Active Contributor
fishman1
Message 10 of 16 (540 Views)

06-11-2008 07:03 AM in reply to: fishman1
here is the opacity map i hope this can help you and i greatly appreciat how much you are trying to help me
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.