AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

Contributor
pamdhntr
Message 1 of 10 (386 Views)

osnap inaccurate

386 Views, 9 Replies
07-10-2007 09:51 AM
I have been noticing that my osnaps are not selecting the points I think they are. It is always very subtle - I have to zoom in extensively to see it, but when trying to join polylines it became apparent that the lines were not connected. My markers highlight when selecting, and appear to snap to the location indicated. Any ideas?
Distinguished Contributor
C O Jones
Message 2 of 10 (386 Views)

Re: osnap inaccurate

07-10-2007 10:20 AM in reply to: pamdhntr
Try turning off Otrack, Polar and Snap. I bet your Osnaps will be accurate after that.
leonardlorden
Message 3 of 10 (386 Views)

07-12-2007 10:52 AM in reply to: pamdhntr
There are also some running osnaps that don't work well together, and some you just shouldn't use unless attempting to achieve a specific goal. I have found that for arcs, you shouldn't have both the CENTER and QUADRANTS options selected, use one or the other. A big "no-no" in my book is having the NEAREST snap always on, that should always be a manual override selection. Even though you may have other snap options selected and perhaps even the desired snap box is being displayed, that snap can change while you're mouse clicking and end up with an undesired result. My personal favorite combinations that have worked very well for me over the years is an OSMODE value of 111 (for center snaps) or an OSMODE of 123 (for quadrant snaps). Hope this helps.
Contributor
pamdhntr
Message 4 of 10 (386 Views)

07-17-2007 01:50 PM in reply to: pamdhntr
Thank you, but I already do have these off. Any other ideas?
Contributor
pamdhntr
Message 5 of 10 (386 Views)

07-17-2007 01:55 PM in reply to: pamdhntr
I typically have only Endpoint, Midpoint, Center, and Intersection set. I do avoid Nearest because I have experienced the same frustration you have.

I have never experienced this error in the manner I have recently, and to such a minute degree that I have to zoom in about 4 times to see the error.
leonardlorden
Message 6 of 10 (386 Views)

07-17-2007 02:56 PM in reply to: pamdhntr
I can't see why you would be having a problem. Let's look at this from another angle. You mention you have to zoom in several times to see that the objects do not meet. Are you concluding that because the visual effect may show an open after a few zooms, that the objects are in fact not connected or are you performing some other test to verify a desired intersection does not exist?

If it's only been a visual display to this point, it may simply be a graphics display issue and the intersection is indeed as desired. After you've zoomed in, execute a REGEN command to refresh the display if you haven't already. This is particularly true when you're dealing with arcs and circles. Another problem may simply be your graphics card. I had an older card and driver a few years back that was terrible at drawing arcs, the intersections was never at the locations the object was being displayed at, too polygonal in appearance. I was able to prove this by starting to draw a line at an intersection and the intersection flag would appear at some point near my intersection, but not at where it was displayed. Some may say it's an isolines setting but never helped with this card and driver.

This may not be the case with you, but is something to explore.

*Additional thought - create a triangle or polygonal shape using seperate line entities with the line command and your desired snaps. Use PEDIT to convert and join the objects together in an attempt to create a closed polyline. If the object fails to create one, you definately have a snap issue. Message was edited by: llorden
Contributor
pamdhntr
Message 7 of 10 (386 Views)

07-17-2007 03:19 PM in reply to: pamdhntr
Exactly. I was trying to join the lines I had laid out into a ployline when I discovered that they were not picked to the points I had specified.

Yikes, huh?
DarrylBster
Message 8 of 10 (288 Views)

01-25-2013 12:22 PM in reply to: pamdhntr

I am actually having the same issue.  Nearest is never on for me, it's used rarely as an override, as with perpendicular as I have had random snap issues with it in the past.  I am certain that my lines are off, it becomes obvious in my dimensioning.  Although lines are set out using offset, the dimensional stack error will add up to be a millimeter off over the course of a few clicks.  A millimeter may not seem like much from an architectural standpoint, but consider the same stack error over the span of a 150' curtain wall and you might appear 3/4" short over the complete run, and this becomes a major concern during the creation of fabrication drawings.  I've been using autocad since release 14 and have not had this issue until using 2012.

*Expert Elite*
braudpat
Message 9 of 10 (273 Views)

02-01-2013 04:29 AM in reply to: DarrylBster

Hello

Just an idea : are you very far from X=Zero and Y=Zero ?

Bye, Patrice

Bye, Pat

Vitornis
Message 10 of 10 (129 Views)

04-23-2013 06:56 AM in reply to: pamdhntr

I have ran into this bug with drawings sent to me using the e-transmit feature in Autocad.   I think it happens when a drawing is saved back to an earlier version. Usally the offset snap point happens with ojects in a block.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.