Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventory Management Network license: how to tell who's using it?

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
pcooper2
4748 Views, 18 Replies

Inventory Management Network license: how to tell who's using it?

Title says most of it-

I am NOT a power user in Autocad. I can't even get around in it- but I am an IT guy and have to support my users at the new job.

The head of drafting wants a way to tell who is using her Network license's 5 seats, so when she tries to start up Autocad and gets an error saying there's no more licenses, she knows who to go beat.

I haven't the foggiest. I assume I am looking for a Network license manager, but google hasn't shown me much on that subject that approaches answering my question. Please help!

< Edited Content for better support. > 

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: pcooper2

This should get you pointed in the right direction.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=7459915&linkID=9240617

--

Murph
http://map3d.wordpress.com/

"pcooper2" wrote in message news:6351573@discussion.autodesk.com...
Title says most of it-

I am NOT a power user in Autocad. I can't even get around in it- but I am an
IT guy and have to support my users at the new job.

The head of drafting wants a way to tell who is using her Network license's
5 seats, so when she tries to start up Autocad and gets an error saying
there's no more licenses, she knows who to go beat.

I haven't the foggiest. I assume I am looking for a Network license manager,
but google hasn't shown me much on that subject that approaches answering my
question. Please help!
Message 3 of 19
pcooper2

looks like a good start, thanks!
Message 4 of 19
pcooper2

What I really need is a utility that can say "here are the people using the network licenses, right now".

Anyone got intel on this?
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

Set up the SamReports for the LM then create a simple bat to fetch the
report file and read it.

--

Murph
http://map3d.wordpress.com/

"pcooper2" wrote in message news:6352304@discussion.autodesk.com...
What I really need is a utility that can say "here are the people using the
network licenses, right now".

Anyone got intel on this?
Message 6 of 19
pcooper2

Did ya miss the part where I said I know nothing of autocad? 😉

Samreports- is this a third party app?
LM?
Message 7 of 19
dgorsman

Fortuneately you don't need to know anything about AutoCAD (ok, well not much at least) to query the license manager - you just need access to the computer the license server process is running on. There is a utility called "lmtools.exe" which provides some diagnostic tools, including who has which licenses.
----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 19
pcooper2

Thanks for the help, I'll look into it...

if anyone else has info, please post up!
Message 9 of 19
BBS_mleipert

I have here a *.txt file on a network drive, which is written every 15 minutes.

So i know the people, which are using a license, but while i live and work in germany, there is some issue called "data privacy", so I'm not allowed to give other people access to this file.

You can propably use the file to get informations about which person is working, and how long or if the application is just open for reservation of license and so on.

I will include an optionsfile to my license server to be prepared of license reservation.

More information about this can you find here: http://ww3.cad.de/foren/ubb/Forum54/HTML/013758.shtml#000000 (in german 😉 )

With a little bit configuration and programming it should be possible to make an rss-Feed of license-using with lmtools and Samreports. I'm looking forward to something like this, if i can ignore the data privacy for this case.
Message 10 of 19
TravisNave

Your server license manager will tell you who is using licenses at any given instance. Open LMTOOLS from the server and go to the Server Status tab. Click Perform Status Enquiry and under your available licenses it will tell you how many are in use and the username/hostname of the computers who have the licenses.
You can either do this physically from your license server, use Remote Destop or other similar connection, or install LMTOOLS locally on your client and connect via 27000@servername.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 11 of 19
ronald_plesh
in reply to: TravisNave

Is there anyway to get the information in a more user friendly way?  If I tell people user XXYYYY is using 86445ACD_2016_0F, it will not help them.  They will ask what is 8644ACD_2016_OF?  I need an easy way to list by user name what products they are using, not what product ID they are using.  Is that possible?

Message 12 of 19
pendean
in reply to: ronald_plesh

Are you using network licenses, or stand-alone licenses? The latter is like trying to herd cats, you're going to be very challenged to control it all.
Message 13 of 19
ronald_plesh
in reply to: pendean

Network licenses.

Message 14 of 19

I'm in mobile mode and unable to provide a link.   But Google Autodesk network license feature code. 

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 15 of 19

Thanks @Mark.Lancaster, that helps.  It shows me how to understand the license file and pointed me in the direction of the FLEX LM manual.  I am still unable to find a way to output the product ID's as product names along with user id's.  Maybe I need to create a report. Hmmm, food for thought..

Message 16 of 19
natasha.l

Hello @ronald_plesh

I would like to provide this link for someone with a similar question, Network License Feature Codes .

Just to add you can use the License Parser described in the article, to create a list of the Feature Codes & the corresponding product. This will be helpful to distribute in communication with others.

Thank you for posting. 

PleaseAccept As Solution” if a reply or replies have helped resolve the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 17 of 19
ronald_plesh
in reply to: natasha.l

Thank you @natasha.l that is helpful.  It still does not give me what I want though.  I can go and find all the pieces, but I have to do it every time.  I want to find a way to preform the status enquiry with an output that is formatted in a more user friendly way.  The current output has a lot of information that is difficult to understand unless you are very familiar with autocad.

Message 18 of 19
dgorsman

I wouldn't say familiar with AutoCAD; we have some good AutoCAD users here and they aren't familiar at ALL with the licensing contents.

Have a look at JTB tools, they have some good stuff for monitoring and reporting on network licensing.  At one point we had it generating an HTML file on the network so you could see exactly who was using what and how many were unused, +/- 30 minutes or so.  It's third-party (I don't work for them) and will cost you something but from experience it's a good purchase.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 19 of 19
natasha.l

Hello @

I see you need something that will constantly be monitoring this for you in that case, you can use theAIA scan tool. It took sometime for me to remember & find this but it may do the trick for you. 

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Please “Accept As Solution” if a reply or replies have helped resolve the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report