AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

jasonpit
Message 1 of 6 (1,592 Views)

multiple layouts vs multiple drawing files

1592 Views, 5 Replies
01-13-2011 05:20 AM

i just started working in a new office and they do things a little differently here.  i am used to having multiple layouts in a single drawing with different layer manager layouts and just refreshing each one with respect to the appropriate tab.  here they have a separate sheet for each drawing x-refed back.   we are using civil 3d 2009 so it is project based and you have to close one drawing in order to open the next (ex. site plan over to grading plan)  instead of just swithcing tabs.  i know that you can change the settings to allow multiple draiwngs opened in project based but i just want to know what is more typical.  it seems like separate drawings instead of separate layouts for each sheet in a set of drawings is very redundant and ends up creating a lot of extra drawing files. 

thanks for the input

jay

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 2 of 6 (1,579 Views)

Re: multiple layouts vs multiple drawing files

01-13-2011 08:03 AM in reply to: jasonpit

That depends on the use.  You may find better feedback in the Civil3D area.  For us, having a separate drawing per file allows us to throw a lot of low-cost manpower at a project to meet deadlines, whereas if we did multiple drawings per file all of those drawings would be bottlenecked at whoever is working on that particular file.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

gilbert.jubinville
Message 3 of 6 (1,295 Views)

10-12-2011 12:18 PM in reply to: jasonpit

We have the same issue. Document control wnats us to use multiple drawing files and we want to use multiple layouts for road plan and profiles.

*Expert Elite*
Bob_Zurunkle
Message 4 of 6 (1,283 Views)

10-13-2011 08:59 AM in reply to: gilbert.jubinville

Based on my own experiences, I'd say that multiple tabs works great when the project is small and self-contained. I use that approach now on projects of up to 20 sheets, give or take a few.

But as the file gets larger (including the sheets), it can adversely affect the performance, and as time constraints become an issue, there can sometimes be problems with one CAD person having sole responsibility for meeting deadlines on that project. That's when individual sheet files start making sense. Another thing is it's sometimes the format the customer wants their CAD files in (I know Walgreens does). Believe it or not, it's a more "team-friendly" approach...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted :smileyhappy:
*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 5 of 6 (1,277 Views)

10-13-2011 11:56 AM in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Good point about client requirements.  Those are usually based around their document management system, which are frequently limited to one drawing per file/document.  Among other reasons, for physically large project areas it allows them to send out multiple projects at once, piecing out only the affected drawings; if everything for that area is in a single file, then only one project can be worked on at once, and only by one company.  A single small upgrade or as-build to match field conditions could conceivably hold up a much larger project.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

*Expert Elite*
azrdgldr
Message 6 of 6 (1,260 Views)

10-15-2011 07:58 AM in reply to: jasonpit

Jason, this also depends on how your office deals with work flow.  If they like to distrube the work around in a group to get the work done.  If everything is in one drawing with layouts then only one person can work on the project at a time.  If each sheet is in it's own drawing, then multiple people can work on different parts of the project.  I have done both, but my preference is having individual drawings for each sheet.  I have seen drawing get corrupted and if this happens in a project with multiple layouts, you could lose all your work or a good portion of it.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.