AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

oscarodent
Message 1 of 11 (4,732 Views)

multiple drawings in a single application

4732 Views, 10 Replies
05-20-2009 06:41 AM
Until about a week ago if I clicked on a drawing file in explorer this would automatically open my autocad programme, and if I selected a second drawing this would open in the same open programme. Now, however, every time I click on a new file it opens a new Autocad programme. I have had this problem once before many years ago but cannot remember how to resolve it - Any help would very much appreciated.

Oscar
Distinguished Contributor
joeself
Message 2 of 11 (4,731 Views)

Re: multiple drawings in a single application

05-20-2009 07:18 AM in reply to: oscarodent
type SDI at command line. it should be 0 for multiple files in same window.
oscarodent
Message 3 of 11 (4,731 Views)

05-20-2009 07:32 AM in reply to: oscarodent
It is set at 0 - I don't think the solution lies here because it is not a case of wanting multiple files in a single window - I only want a single file in each window. If I open a new drawing by the file/ open route a new file is opened in a new window. But if I select the files using explorer I end up with 4 or 5 autocad applications open - but thanks anyway
*Tim Decker
Message 4 of 11 (4,731 Views)

05-20-2009 11:55 AM in reply to: oscarodent

Are you sure that there are actually that many "applications"
open (the TASKBAR variable can make it externally look this way)?  Check
your TASKBAR variable, and set it to 0 (and assuming your SDI variable is set to
0) that may be what your looking for.
jdraft
Message 5 of 11 (4,731 Views)

05-20-2009 01:46 PM in reply to: oscarodent
I am having a similar problem. I am working current projects in ACA 2008 and if I double click on another drawing to open it it opens in ADT 2006, the only other Autocad program I have loaded. Even if the drawing was last saved in 2008!! Which, as you know, is an invalid format to open in 2006. Pain in the neck and a big waste of time.
I hope there is a way to fix this problem other than unloading 2006!
Distinguished Contributor
mwgrutter
Message 6 of 11 (4,731 Views)

05-20-2009 08:44 PM in reply to: oscarodent
This has been a problem recently (well, for a while now). Did you or someone at your company recently install a service pack? Has the application used to start AutoCAD (file association) been changed to acad.exe from AcLauncher? The practice of opening drawing files from Windows Explorer is an old one, and causes problems more often than not with the newer versions of AutoCAD and it's verticals.

The SDI variable would change whether AutoCAD allows more than one open drawing in a session but it has nothing to do with opening multiple sessions. If SDI were set to "1", it would simply prompt you to close the open draiwing before opening another.

Here is a reply I gave to a recent post on the same issue.

>>Every version of AutoCAD uses ACAD.EXE as it's application. This is also true of most if not all the vertical products. Each AutoCAD version tells Windows to associate .dwg files with that version when it is opened. If you open DWG Trueview, it will become the application associated with .dwg files. Using the AcLauncher does not fix this issue. AcLauncher was included and is associated by default to be able to open multiple Autodesk files from sources other than the application's OPEN dialog. Since, I believe 2008 (maybe 2007), AutoCAD has opened multiple sessions of itself with one drawing in each session if using ACAD.EXE and DDE properties instead of one session with all drawings open in that session. AcLauncher still has it's problems with handling files but nothing changes the fact that no matter whether you use AcLauncher or Acad.exe to open files, the last Autodesk product that was opened is the one associated in Window. A multiple version office doesn't mean that each user has multiple versions. If you don't have licenses for the most up-to-date version on each station, have the newer versions save to the lowest version in the office until you can upgrade. As for dealing with outside sources (clients, vendors etc.), have them supply you with the lowest version in your office or get the appropriate conversion tools. And always make customizations in the lowest version in your office (2006 on).<<

Michael Grutter
Cedar Engineering and Design Service, LLC
http://www.cedarengineering.com
oscarodent
Message 7 of 11 (4,731 Views)

05-20-2009 11:28 PM in reply to: oscarodent
Yes - that was the problem - The file association was to acad exe, I changed it back to the AcLauncher and all works perfectly now.

Many thanks

Oscar
mpcad
Message 8 of 11 (4,731 Views)

06-08-2009 07:23 PM in reply to: oscarodent
Instead, When the DWG file association was to Aclauncher,I got troubles . So I changed it back to acad exe, and everthing got well.
jlee
Message 9 of 11 (4,356 Views)

10-13-2010 06:30 AM in reply to: oscarodent

I have the same problem. I download trueview yesterday, and when I open a new drawing a new application window starts up. My SDI is set at 0.  Any suggestions?

*Pro
Modman_4
Message 10 of 11 (4,341 Views)

10-14-2010 05:51 AM in reply to: jlee

Most of us use launcher with no problems :smileywink:

I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! :smileyhappy:
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.