AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

*Joe Burke
Message 11 of 26 (325 Views)

Re: Mtext and grips

09-28-2007 12:12 AM in reply to: *naturat
Jon,

The program is intended to adjust mtext grips as shown in your example.

Regarding, "Number of mtext objects modified: 0", it reports how many objects were
actually modified. If none needed to be changed it will report zero.

Regarding mtext with zero width, if any of those are found in the selection set
there's an additional question asked at the command line. "Modify zero width mtext
objects? [Yes/No] : So you have a choice whether to change them or not.

I have not tested it with annotative objects.

Post an example file if it's still not doing what you think it should. I'd be happy
to take a look.

Joe Burke

wrote in message news:5734078@discussion.autodesk.com...
Weird... it looks my news reader is completely messed up. grr... not only are the
attachments screwed up and missing random parts of text and the messages this morning
are coming in all mixed up between the body and subjects.

It downloads fine from the web based discussion groups.

I can load it, and run it. It asks for a piece of mtext, I select 1 or 2 pieces of
mtext and then it replies back Number of mtext objects modified: 0 Doesn't seem to
be doing anything and doesn't seem t
o matter if it's annotative or not.

In '07 it does seem to do something, but not sure what it's doing and it's not fixing
the grips.

I've attached a couple of screen shots in a single jpg - the top shot is showing the
grips in the correct location. The lower one is showing what happens when you move a
grip vertical rather than horizontal.

The question we're having is how to fix the grips to make them go from Wrong to
Correct (accurately) location?
Contributor jon
Contributor
jon
Message 12 of 26 (325 Views)

09-28-2007 10:58 AM in reply to: *naturat
"The program is intended to adjust mtext grips as shown in your example."

Why? To what end is ACAD doing this? It didn't used to do this back around '05 or '06. I see no reason to have this "feature".

This takes me back to the original question - how to get the grips back up or down to where the text ends?

I have played more with it and found that the Defined Height field in the properties is grayed out based on whether the text is annotative or not.

It doesn't matter if the anno is on in the style or just an individual setting. It also would appear that the ability to reset the height of the mtext box is more of a random chanced thing that's still there in non anno text rather than a thought out and planned idea.

I've attached a sample showing what I mean.

Thanks for the input.
-Jon
*Joe Burke
Message 13 of 26 (325 Views)

10-01-2007 02:55 AM in reply to: *naturat
Jon,

Thanks for the sample file.

I'm working on a new version for 2008. It's not easy because developer documentation
for annotative objects is lacking. Plus the values which control the handles are not
the same as before and apparently those values are read only when an mtext object is
annotative.

I don't know when the new version will be ready or whether the solution will be
acceptable.

I saved your example in 2004 format and opened it in 2006. The code you have works
and the objects which were annotative are still so when the file is opened in 2008.
This might also work in 2007, but I don't have that to test it.

Joe Burke

wrote in message news:5735431@discussion.autodesk.com...
"The program is intended to adjust mtext grips as shown in your example."

Why? To what end is ACAD doing this? It didn't used to do this back around '05 or
'06. I see no reason to have this "feature".

This takes me back to the original question - how to get the grips back up or down to
where the text ends?

I have played more with it and found that the Defined Height field in the properties
is grayed out based on whether the text is annotative or not.

It doesn't matter if the an
no is on in the style or just an individual setting. It also would appear that the
ability to reset the height of the mtext box is more of a random chanced thing that's
still there in non anno text rather than a thought out and planned idea.

I've attached a sample showing what I mean.

Thanks for the input.
-Jon
Contributor jon
Contributor
jon
Message 14 of 26 (325 Views)

10-01-2007 11:57 PM in reply to: *naturat
Thanks for the added info. I've put in a service request with Adesk and if I get anything of usefullness out of them I'll pass it along.

-Jon
*Joe Burke
Message 15 of 26 (325 Views)

10-03-2007 03:24 AM in reply to: *naturat
Hi Jon,

I think I've solved the code issues so a new version will work with 2008. New version
in the sense it will only work with 2008.

Check back in a day or two.

I'd appreciate it if you or anyone else would try the old code with your example file
in 2007. I need to know what happens in 2007 before I can think about a version which
works with 2008 and earlier versions.

Joe Burke

wrote in message news:5737529@discussion.autodesk.com...
Thanks for the added info. I've put in a service request with Adesk and if I get
anything of usefullness out of them I'll pass it along.

-Jon
Contributor jon
Contributor
jon
Message 16 of 26 (325 Views)

10-03-2007 09:51 AM in reply to: *naturat
I popped it open in '07 and tried SMT on two pieces of bad mtext. It asks for the objects, I select them, it accepts them saying two have been modified and kicks me back to the command prompt. At that point I check the offending mtext objects' grips and they have not changed. I did this on both the anno and non-anno examples to the same result. I tried it with a single object and multiple mtext objects - same result.

I can't try it in '06 as I don't have that version able to be installed on my machine.

-Jon
*Joe Burke
Message 17 of 26 (325 Views)

10-04-2007 06:47 AM in reply to: *naturat
Jon,

Thanks for testing under 2007. I won't be sure what it means until I post the new
code and you try it under 2007 and 2008.

I'm working on it. Please stay tuned...

Joe Burke

wrote in message news:5739429@discussion.autodesk.com...
I popped it open in '07 and tried SMT on two pieces of bad mtext. It asks for the
objects, I select them, it accepts them saying two have been modified and kicks me
back to the command prompt. At that point I check the offending mtext objects' grips
and they have not changed. I did this on both the anno and non-anno examples to the
same result. I tried it with a single object and multiple mtext objects - same
result.

I can't try it in '06 as I don't have that version able to be installed on my
machine.

-Jon
Contributor jon
Contributor
jon
Message 18 of 26 (325 Views)

10-04-2007 10:10 AM in reply to: *naturat
thanks for the efforts.

I'm out of town till Tuesday.

Thanks,

-Jon
*Joe Burke
Message 19 of 26 (325 Views)

10-09-2007 04:42 AM in reply to: *naturat
Jon,

Attached is ShrinkwrapMtext v2 for your testing. I don't think it's done because it
needs more testing and I don't know if it will work in 2007. Please let me know about
that.

Please read the header comments. This in particular:

;; The handles of annotative mtext with multiple scales may
;; vary for each scale. The program does not modify such objects.
;; It will modify objects with multiple scales if the handles
;; are proportionally the same.

The shortcut is ST2.

The shrinkwrap mtext idea was fairly simple in 2006 and prior versions where it
applied. It's much more complex given annotative mtext. At this point I'm not sure
the program is viable. Basically I'm dealing with a feature I haven't used, which is
not a good idea from a programming standpoint.

Joe Burke
*Joe Burke
Message 20 of 26 (325 Views)

10-12-2007 09:30 AM in reply to: *naturat
I found some problems with the code I posted. I'm not posting an update since no one
seems interested.

It was not a futile effort on my end since how the bounding box of non-annotative
mtext is handled in recent versions is different than it was before.

Regards
Joe
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.