AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

war22cat
Message 1 of 6 (303 Views)

Modifying a 3D object

303 Views, 5 Replies
12-14-2012 11:21 PM

Dear Forum Members,

I have AutoCad 2007 and am using it to generate a 3D model shape and to then calculate the volume of the shape.  I'm new to 3D modelling and I'm expriencing difficulties in generating the required shape.  I started off with a rectangle then extruded it.  I now want to edit the front and back faces of the rectangle so that they are slanted in at an angle of 60 degrees.

I have tried various methods (Taper Face, Move Face) however having gone through the various steps (select face, select point o origin, etc. ) it just reverts back to "Enter a face editing option" with the drop down list (Extrude, Move, Rotate, Offset, Taper, Delete, Copy, coLor, mAterial).  I'm not sure if I have any settings or views incorrectly set.  I've tried various things but no success.

Can anyone please help me out here.  My file is attached.

war22cat
Message 2 of 6 (299 Views)

Re: Modifying a 3D object

12-15-2012 01:09 AM in reply to: war22cat
After a lot of trial and error I managed to get one of the faces tapered however, when I used the same procedure it doesn't work on the other face. I wanted the same taper applied to the other face (see attached file). I've tried orienting the 3D shape in various ways to select the face however it just doesn't seem to work. If anyone can provide some guidance it would be appreciated.
Valued Contributor
Patchy
Message 3 of 6 (284 Views)

12-15-2012 07:17 AM in reply to: war22cat

How about draw a rectangle, copy it and then use LOFT or if not copy it use EXTRUDE command

(They provide different grip points)

(I'm not sure 2007 has LOFT command)

After that you can click on the grip and make taper.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 4 of 6 (277 Views)

12-15-2012 08:05 AM in reply to: Patchy

Hi,

>> I'm not sure 2007 has LOFT command

it has :smileywink: (>>>click<<<)

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 5 of 6 (267 Views)

12-16-2012 03:12 AM in reply to: war22cat

Maybe these tutorials will help

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/CAD238/AutoCAD_2007_Tutorials.htm

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
war22cat
Message 6 of 6 (225 Views)

02-14-2013 08:03 AM in reply to: JDMather

Do you know of any way of creating a horizontal slice through a 3D object at a particular volume ?  MASSPROP gives the volume of the overall 3D solid but I want to set a horizontal slice through the object at a particular volume with origin at the bottom of 3D shape.  I need this to set the level of the shape at set volume.

If there is no way then I guess its trial and error setting slice then checking volume through MASSPROP 

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.