AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

Contributor
jennielowery
Message 1 of 8 (302 Views)
Accepted Solution

Modify Tools not functioning properly

302 Views, 7 Replies
02-14-2012 08:43 AM

Ok, this may or may not be an odd question, but here goes.

I am currently using AutoCAD Mechanical 2007, up to date on all hot fixes and updates.

I've been working all morning (and in the past) just fine, I click my objects, I type in my command (like CO for example) and I modify my object.

I get up and walk away from my desk, come back and sit down, go to copy and object .. doesn't work right.

It still works, but now it's as if I didn't select the object first.  Now if I select an object, type in the command CO (or any other modify command) or click the toolbar button, it turns my crosshair into the suare and asks me to select an object, thenI have to hit enter to select it.

Now I know tons of peopel don't select their objects first, but imo it's a lot faster to select them type in your command .. it saves me an extra step (I modify 3d objects all day so saving 1 step for each time i have to modify something really adds up for me ).

Here was my step process: (for exampls to copy an object multiple times)

Select Object(s)

Type in command CO, enter

Click object and start copying

Here is my step process now: (same example, copying)

Select Object(s)

Type in CO, enter

Select Object again

Hit enter

Select object and start copying

Even if I type in Co first .. I still have to hit enter .. which is an extra step and while it may seem like it shouldn't add that much .. I'm not used to having to do it and I have to mentally stop and think about it which means my productivity is slowing down ARGH!

I've checked my DEMANDLOAD and it's at 3 where it should be.  I've rebooted both ACAD and my PC.  And this is a fresh install (I had another problem last week so IT came and just re-installed it on my pc).  It was literally fine 1 minute and not the next. SHM

Help, Please ..?

Maybe it's the PICKFIRST should be 1

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 2 of 8 (300 Views)

Re: Modify Tools not functioning properly

02-14-2012 08:59 AM in reply to: jennielowery

Maybe it's the PICKFIRST should be 1

Contributor
jennielowery
Message 3 of 8 (294 Views)

02-14-2012 09:05 AM in reply to: Patchy

OMG .. I so LOVE you right now!  :heart:   :smileyvery-happy:

I have NO idea how that got changed (as I've never typed in that command in my life, or needed to) but it worked!

:happy dance:

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 4 of 8 (293 Views)

02-14-2012 09:06 AM in reply to: jennielowery

I would dust the keyboard, lift the fingerprints and kick somebody's behind

Contributor
jennielowery
Message 5 of 8 (274 Views)

02-17-2012 10:43 AM in reply to: Patchy

lol, funny thing is .. there are only 2 AutoCAd operators here .. and the other lady wouldn't have had a clue how to do that haha .. I have to draw most of her 3D pieces for her to insert.

My AutoCAD has been acting stupid lately though.  I'll be glad when the IT guy gets my new PC ready (I'm looking at it in the next cubicle lol) and I can start using 2012 .. maybe then I won't have so many weird issues (like now I can't subtract without fatal excepting .. i give up haha) lol.

Thanks again!

Valued Contributor
jruifer
Message 6 of 8 (266 Views)

02-20-2012 12:56 AM in reply to: jennielowery

Certain commands like MVSETUP and others can change several variables by themselves.

Contributor
jennielowery
Message 7 of 8 (233 Views)

06-27-2012 06:49 AM in reply to: jruifer

I just had the same problem happen again and I do believe it was the MVSETUP, as mentioned above (as that is the command I was using right before it happened).

Any idea of why this changes the PICKFIRST?

That's very curious! :smileyindifferent:

Contributor
jennielowery
Message 8 of 8 (224 Views)

06-27-2012 07:35 AM in reply to: jennielowery

Really?  Hmm .. well I am using 2012 AutoCAD .. any idea why mine is doing this then?

I figured out why my co-worker's never does this .. she never uses MVSETUP to rotate the view in her viewports (she just rotates it in Model, which isnt' optimal as it rotates the text/dimensions as well).

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.