Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

‘Longbow Software’ for installing earlier version of AutoCAD on Windows 8.1

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Dhrd
7710 Views, 12 Replies

‘Longbow Software’ for installing earlier version of AutoCAD on Windows 8.1

In browsing the internet, I came across a program call ‘Longbow Software’ which is supposed to allow earlier versions of AutoCAD (AutoCAD 2001 thru 2009) to install and run on Windows 8.1. Has anyone used this program?

If so, what is your experience and does it work?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
pendean
in reply to: Dhrd

Seems quite popular on these boards as a solution: they offer your money back if it fails to do it's job too.
Message 3 of 13
WFTDesign
in reply to: pendean

I know that post was 3 years ago, but I go ahead and reply anyhow.

Yes, I own AutoCAD Architecture 2008 as latest version I have. And I installed Longbow Software for Windows 7, it worked perfectly. I also installed Longbow Software for Windows 10, it also worked perfectly!!! Awesome! I was so happy that I know that Longbow Software will be good forever because their testimony is that some of their customers are still using AutoCAD R13!!! That would be 1998 version of AutoCAD, almost 20 years ago!

All of sudden... I just learned that I could afford to lease AutoCAD Architecture 2017 for less than $215 instead of having to purchase $5000 AutoCAD software. Now I wonder will Longbow Software continue beyond 2017? 

Message 4 of 13
pendean
in reply to: WFTDesign

>>>...Now I wonder will Longbow Software continue beyond 2017...<<<
You will have to ask the Longbow folks.
Message 5 of 13
john.vellek

HI @Dhrd

I see that you are visiting as a new member. Welcome to the Autodesk Community! 

I don't personally have any experience with this product but @pendean seems to be a proponent of it as he as mentioned in many posts.

I know that there are a good number of customers that have used it but I am not aware of how well they felt it performed.

I did take a quick look and there seem to be quite a few support cases logged with this product. In my opinion, I would suggest running current product that is designed for your current operating system and drivers.  This is likely to produce the least number of headaches and issues.

Either way, you might try it and report back with your findings in order to help other Community members.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 13
john.vellek

Hi @Dhrd,

I am checking back to see if my post or others helped you with your problem. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 7 of 13
kjerrems12
in reply to: john.vellek

Dear Forum members.

Has anyone successfully run a very old version of Autocad, namely R14, on a windows 10 64 bit computer using Longbow software?

Ken 

Message 8 of 13
pendean
in reply to: kjerrems12

Why not go grab a freeware CAD program like DraftSight that looks and acts like R0014 but is actually designed for Win10?
Message 9 of 13
WFTDesign

If Longbow brags about having run R14 on Windows 10 then be it, but try contacting them.
Message 10 of 13
kjerrems12
in reply to: pendean

Pendean, I already have Draftsight, and don't like it.

I'm well and truly well versed with R14, but the main reason is I have my version heavily customised

Ken

Message 11 of 13
WFTDesign

Yup, tell me about it. I do have heavy customized, too. Hope it works. But my another suggestion is to upgrade Windows 10 to PRO version.  They claim it can run a very old program like R14 on Windows 10 PRO.  I will try that soon. 

Message 12 of 13
ralphbakerEHLHR

I have been using AutoCAD 2002 with Raster design R3 for quite some time now, (20 years) when I switched over to Win7 I was able to load both programs onto my latest computer, however there was no improvement in performance and occasionally there were unhandled errors which of course caused AutoCAD to crash.  My experience has been that unhandled errors are usually due to AutoCad running out of memory or trying to use memory that is already in use.  Using Long Bow reviver to reinstall AutoCAD 2002 on Win7 seems to have eliminated this problem by allow AutoCAD to use more available memory then before.  Also AutoCAD runs considerably faster with redraws taking less time.  It has also improved the performance of Raster design even though I did not use it to install that program.  I would highly recommend using Long Bow software if you are trying to install older AutoDesk Software on a newer operating system like Win7 or newer. 

Message 13 of 13

I have successfully run version R14 through 2000 with Longbow on Windows 10 64 bit without issue. A remarkably stable product which does exactly what it claims to do. Best software product available to run older versions of CAD on new operating systems. 

Currently running AutoCAD 2000 32 bit on Windows 10 64 bit 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost