Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer Manager Issues

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
647 Views, 10 Replies

Layer Manager Issues

Hi out there.  We are running XP and AutoCad LT 2009.  Whenever any of our office computers has the Layer Manager open, panning and zooming or moving a viewport becomes almost impossible.  The cursor jumps around the screen after much hesitation.  The various machines all have different graphic cards and this issue has presented itself on old computers and also much new computers we have.  Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

create a new drawing (based on an AutoCAD template), draw a rectangle on layer 0, open the layermanager and try to pan now ==> really slow?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

When I opened a 'New' file from the template and created the rectangle as asked it was not as herky-jerky as my other files to pan or to resize the viewport.  It seemed to react "normally".

We had often felt that it was the result of a large drawing file that had hatching, but at the same time, as our machines have been upgraded we thought the issue would go away because of increased computing power - and it hasn't.  Could this be an issue with AutoCad 2009 specifically?  Thanks

Message 4 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> When I opened a 'New' file from the template and [...]  It seemed to react "normally".

Well, then it's drawing dependend and maybe we need one of that drawings so we can compare them on our systems.

>> We had often felt that it was the result of a large drawing file that had hatching

Hatching is one of the objects, that have a associativity to other objects, dimensions are the others, but all that has nothing to do with an opened or closed layermanager. That makes me curious, what elements are in the drawing that are only slow when the layermanager is active.

Anyway, what servicepack do you have installed.

And what are the system info's: how much memory have you built in, what graphiccard do you have and how big are those drawings?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

The most frustrating issue is that viewports are totally unmanagable in that they can't be re-sized or moved with the layer manager open.  When tried they jump around the screen and the resizing doesn't react till 5+ seconds after entering a move.  And otherwise opening and closing the LM takes time.

We have version 4 installed.  And the big issue is that the problems occur across different equipment profiles.  I have an old machine - Pentium 4 with a NVidia GeForce 7300 GT running XP with 2.5 Gb of ram.  But the same issues occur on an i7 with an AMD 7770 running Windows 7 with 8 Gb of ram.  Whether drawing file sizes are big or small hasn't matter much.  All of our files probably have hatching but we haven't done any conclusive tests to determine on a given file if adding significant hatches changes the way the drawing reacts.

Some other threads have suggested the issue is related to AutoCad LT 2009 specifically.  That would be unfortunate, but help me with the fact that we want to purchase new computers and i keep hesitating about the graphic card choice.  If its AutoCad's problem then I can't go wrong with a new, decent card.  If this issue is related to the CPU and card interface, then i'm worried about choosing the proper card.

I hope someone can offer an experiantial answer.

Message 6 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> running Windows 7

AutoCAD 2009 is not built for/supported on Windows 7

>> Whether drawing file sizes are big or small hasn't matter much

Can you upload one of the drawings?

You told that this does not appear within a new drawing.

>> Some other threads have suggested the issue is related to AutoCad LT 2009

Where have you read that? I know that I'm not used to LT, but that this should be a generally known issue?

>> but help me with the fact that we want to purchase new computers

If there are defects in the drawing (what I assume first) a new workstation will not help anything.

And as long as you stay at release 2009 remember that this is supported for XP and Vista I think.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

I've understood that LT 2009 isn't "supported" by Windows 7 but we've had no issues running it on a new machine and i think this is typical CYA for old programs.

As i've scanned other threads in this forum i've run into comments that similar issues have disappeared with AutoCad LT 2010.  I was hoping for a fix rather than a "buy a new program" answer.

This problem has occurred for years and is not limited in any way to a particular file or file size.  It happens universally and - as i noted previously - across different software and hardware configurations.

I guess - the best thing is was looking for was a setting or an update that would fix this issue.  I'm still hoping for this!!!

Message 8 of 11
pendean

Use CLASSICLAYER instead of the palette version of LAYER: most likely your system can't handle the palette being open (your experience) IF and only IF the problem is not your file. You seem to scared to try to fix the file for some reason.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I'm back - same problems.

The reason i don't think there is a "file issue" is that this has been occurring for years, with different computer configurations and hundreds of different files.  The only common thread has been AutoCad LT 2009.

We originally believed it was that our 2005 graphics cards couldn't support the demand and felt that panning and zooming with the Layer Manager open was crippling the computer.  But a new i7 processor and a brand new graphics card hasn't faired any better.  So - it seems like the only other variable is AutoCad itself.

If there are other fixes or things we could try - i'm open to suggestions.  Thanks

Message 10 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> The reason i don't think there is a "file issue" is that this has been occurring for years

I have seen drawings with a defect title-block ... that also appeared for many years and with all CAD-workstations that customer had 😉

I'm not saying that this is the same case for you, but at least a problem that exists with many different drawings does not mean that it is drawing-independent.

So to reproduce: if you have now again a file where this phenomen exists can you upload that drawing here? Or at least a drawing that shows that issue in a reproducable way?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 11 of 11
pendean

So you are now using CLASSICLAYER command and still have this issue?
You sure don't respond to suggested fixes, not sure anyone can help without more information.

If it's been happening for years, maybe it's time to change from R2009 or test better by putting your files on your local PC, unplugging from the network and seeing if the issue is fixed. Download a trial of R2014 or R2015 and find out. Do something different. Start testing. Start reporting findings.

Please "do somethng" others are suggesting and provide feedback: just repeating your issue over and over again is no way to seek remote assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost