AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

Active Contributor
shurch
Message 1 of 7 (1,246 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to change linetype globally

1246 Views, 6 Replies
08-26-2010 10:48 AM

I have some drawings that were converted a few revs back from Microstation.

All of the drawings entities have a linetype of DGN Style <x>.

I'd like to convert to using standard linetypes - centerline, phantom, hidden, etc...

I can use quick select and filter by property to select items and chance them that way, but quick select doesn't work past the block container.  i.e. I can't select items internal to the block without being in the block editor for that specific block.

Does anybody have a LISP or know of a way to globally substitute linetype in a similar fashion as the way you can change text styles or similar to that?  i.e. All text is  style Standard.  Standard references a font romans.shx.  If i change standard to reference arial.shx, all text that is of style Standard is instantly changed.

I'm picturing a dialog box that accesses the list of linetypes available in the drawingeffectively replaces the linetype definition say take all entities with a linetype of x and change them all to linetype y.  I've looked through the forums, but only seem to find the more general use of quick select or something similar.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thank you all for your replies.

I hadn't noticed before that the rename command could do more than blocks.  Good option if starting from scratch with a converted drawing, but needs more thought when there are existing entities of the linetype you want to convert to.  The rename routine reports an error due to the pre-existing linetype.

I haven't tried the vlx script, but I'm guessing that is something like what I was planning on originally.

While waiting for replies, I sort of answered my own question.  I was able to use the "CAD Standards" feature to audit linetypes.  If the correct linetypes are all set up and saved in a standards file then used for comparison, the audit routine will find the offending linetypes and reassign them per the users direction.  So far, this seems to be the best solution.

Thank you all for your time.

Pendlet0n
Message 2 of 7 (1,239 Views)

Re: How to change linetype globally

08-26-2010 11:47 AM in reply to: shurch

Ok, I didn't read through the entirety of your post but have you gone to FORMAT/LINETYPe or FORMAT/LINEWEIGHT?

Active Contributor
shurch
Message 3 of 7 (1,234 Views)

08-26-2010 11:53 AM in reply to: Pendlet0n

Yes, I've looked through that dialog box, but don't see how that helps - as far as I know, your only option is to load / unload / remove linetypes in general.  I don't see any way to affect the properties of the entities in the drawing en masse.

*Expert Elite*
Icemanau
Message 4 of 7 (1,166 Views)

08-29-2010 04:13 PM in reply to: shurch

If all the blocks are on one layer, and have their internal linetype settings to by layer, you can just change the linetype for that layer.

Other than that I think you may be out of luck.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman)

*Expert Elite*
3wood
Message 5 of 7 (1,157 Views)

08-30-2010 12:15 AM in reply to: shurch

You can try updated CHZ20.vlx, which can change the linetype of selected objects to user defined matching rules.

eg. Linetype A -> Linetype B, Linetype C -> Bylayer, etc.

3wood

CAD KITS

Valued Mentor
Randy_Culp
Message 6 of 7 (1,141 Views)

08-30-2010 01:58 PM in reply to: shurch
Use the RENAME command to rename the current linetype in the drawing to the one you want it to be, then reload that linetype with the LINETYPE command.
Active Contributor
shurch
Message 7 of 7 (1,117 Views)

09-01-2010 08:05 AM in reply to: shurch

Thank you all for your replies.

I hadn't noticed before that the rename command could do more than blocks.  Good option if starting from scratch with a converted drawing, but needs more thought when there are existing entities of the linetype you want to convert to.  The rename routine reports an error due to the pre-existing linetype.

I haven't tried the vlx script, but I'm guessing that is something like what I was planning on originally.

While waiting for replies, I sort of answered my own question.  I was able to use the "CAD Standards" feature to audit linetypes.  If the correct linetypes are all set up and saved in a standards file then used for comparison, the audit routine will find the offending linetypes and reassign them per the users direction.  So far, this seems to be the best solution.

Thank you all for your time.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.