Accepted Solution

how make shx font file?

4981 Views, 7 Replies
07-22-2007 05:23 PM
hi
i want to make my own shx font file ,but i don't know how
and exactly which software do i need ?
please help me...thx
No software required. Basically all you need are some programming skills, a Wordpad file, an eye for typographical design and some quite a bit of time. If you're looking for an "easy button", there ain't one.

You could use one of two or three font generation programs available free on some web sites like CADDEPOT.COM but they are pretty elemental and their versatility is extremely limited. These are NOT push a button and a letter will appear type programs.

Basically, the easiest way is to open a new drawing, set it up for full size drawing in model space. Set limits 100 by 100 inches and turn the grid ON and set snap to 1 inch.

Make a drawing of each character with the endpoints of each segment in the character ending on a grid point.

Open a Wordpad document and define each character in UNIFONT format. Save the Wordpad file with a .SHP file extension.

Switch to the Autocad file and type COMPILE on the command line and select the .SHP file you just saved. If everything is written correctly, Autocad will produce a compiled shape font file with the same name as the SHP file but with and SHX extension instead.

Basic definition information and syntax is in the Autocad help files. Search for topics like "Advanced Shape Techniques" or something similar. Since the developer regularly change the names of topics to produce the illusion of something "New", you may have to look around a bit.

There should be a text SHP file of ROMANS.SHP and TXT.SHP somewhere in your help files. These are examples of the definitions expressions used. It would be well worth your time to study them to learn how certain expressions are used and their purposes.

You should also go to the UNICODE.ORG web site and download their character charts which list the proper computer address for each character. This is especially important if you plan on creating a font of the alphabet of a non-western and/or non-US country.

The shortcut method would be to pay me to teach you how to program fonts. Rates start at $50 USD per hour but results are guaranteed.
Distinguished Contributor
teiarch
Message 2 of 8 (4,980 Views)

Re: how make shx font file?

07-22-2007 07:51 PM in reply to: mehdi0016
No software required. Basically all you need are some programming skills, a Wordpad file, an eye for typographical design and some quite a bit of time. If you're looking for an "easy button", there ain't one.

You could use one of two or three font generation programs available free on some web sites like CADDEPOT.COM but they are pretty elemental and their versatility is extremely limited. These are NOT push a button and a letter will appear type programs.

Basically, the easiest way is to open a new drawing, set it up for full size drawing in model space. Set limits 100 by 100 inches and turn the grid ON and set snap to 1 inch.

Make a drawing of each character with the endpoints of each segment in the character ending on a grid point.

Open a Wordpad document and define each character in UNIFONT format. Save the Wordpad file with a .SHP file extension.

Switch to the Autocad file and type COMPILE on the command line and select the .SHP file you just saved. If everything is written correctly, Autocad will produce a compiled shape font file with the same name as the SHP file but with and SHX extension instead.

Basic definition information and syntax is in the Autocad help files. Search for topics like "Advanced Shape Techniques" or something similar. Since the developer regularly change the names of topics to produce the illusion of something "New", you may have to look around a bit.

There should be a text SHP file of ROMANS.SHP and TXT.SHP somewhere in your help files. These are examples of the definitions expressions used. It would be well worth your time to study them to learn how certain expressions are used and their purposes.

You should also go to the UNICODE.ORG web site and download their character charts which list the proper computer address for each character. This is especially important if you plan on creating a font of the alphabet of a non-western and/or non-US country.

The shortcut method would be to pay me to teach you how to program fonts. Rates start at $50 USD per hour but results are guaranteed.
*Gehenna
Message 3 of 8 (4,980 Views)

07-22-2007 08:55 PM in reply to: mehdi0016
mehdi0016 wrote:
> hi
> i want to make my own shx font file ,but i don't know how
> and exactly which software do i need ?
> please help me...thx
>
Good grief - Tiearch has been doing that for years and I wouldn't even
THINK of attempting it. I get a headache even thinking about it.
mehdi0016
Message 4 of 8 (4,980 Views)

07-23-2007 03:15 AM in reply to: mehdi0016
thank you .
but i don't have problem with drawing and design characters .
my problem is setting unicode for every character . i don't have a idea for this .
can i use autocad dwg file for drawing character ? so from where i can set the unicode for them (in acad) ? or i must use shp editor or wordpad for unicode setting ?
i have some utilities that like shx2shp or shx2dxf or dwg2xyz...
Distinguished Contributor
teiarch
Message 5 of 8 (4,980 Views)

07-23-2007 08:32 AM in reply to: mehdi0016
Please go back and re-read my previous post. You can (and should) use an Autocad file to create your characters.

Character addresses are listed in the character character charts which can be downloaded in PDF format from the UNICODE.ORG web site.

A SHP file is simply a Wordpad file which includes a list of definitions. Each character gets its own address; this is so your computer knows which character to display when you press a key on the key board.

I repeat; if you read and study the resource materials I mentioned in my previous post, many of your questions will be answered.
mykelautocad
Message 6 of 8 (4,611 Views)

02-22-2011 09:39 PM in reply to: mehdi0016

Hi,

I was wondering if the compile cmd is in AutoCAD Lt version, I have 2011 Lt add the command is not valid?

Or is it not in the current 2011 versions of AutoCAD??

Mike.

padmasiri
Message 7 of 8 (3,205 Views)

10-04-2012 01:32 AM in reply to: mehdi0016

I want to know how i design my own fonts

thanks

Padmasiri

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 8 of 8 (3,200 Views)

10-04-2012 02:06 AM in reply to: padmasiri

Hi,

>> I want to know how i design my own fonts

that is the point I would start: >>>click<<<

Good luck, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.