AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

Contributor
chmoore01
Message 1 of 7 (292 Views)

Holding customizations

292 Views, 6 Replies
12-22-2012 08:59 AM

I have ACAD 2009 on a stand alone computer.  It has stopped working (won't load) with the instruction to reinstall.  I have no problem doing that but I'd like to retain the customizations (menu's, etc.) I have.  What files do I copy onto a flash drive and then copy back after the install?  I have searched for CUIX and CUI files, but none show up in a search.  HELP!

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 7 (285 Views)

Re: Holding customizations

12-23-2012 12:50 PM in reply to: chmoore01

Hi,

>> but I'd like to retain the customizations (menu's, etc.)

What files have you modified? Especially the ones you mean by "etc"?

We don't know what you did, so to give you tips is not as easy.

>> I have searched for CUIX and CUI files, but none show up in a search.

Depends on what operating system you have (Vista or XP)  as the paths are different. In any kind verify that you search the whole drive C: and include hidden and system folder.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 3 of 7 (271 Views)

12-26-2012 06:34 AM in reply to: chmoore01
CUI menu files are under your Windows Profile Folders, set to be hidden in Windows by default. Probaby why you can find them.
Try a google search of your Windows version and "how to search hidden and system folders" to find how to do what you seek to find.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
scot-65
Message 4 of 7 (261 Views)

12-26-2012 03:27 PM in reply to: chmoore01

The most common files that are overwritten when reinstall, that affect third-party customizations:

ACAD.cui

ACAD.pgp

ACAD.lin

And maybe some shape file declarations.

If your CUI is uniquely named, it will still be there after the reinstall.

If you added SHX fonts to the ACAD folder, these will also be there after the reinstall.

If you added TTF to the windows/fonts folder, ditto.

If you added PC3 or CTB/STB other than what AutoCAD provided, these will be there too.

If you have anything in the startup suite, it is a good chance that will be reset.

This will be an opportunity to use ACAD.lsp (ACADdoc) or MNL to declare your programs

in lieu of using the startup suite.

There are many, many other files - these are just the most frequently altered ones.

???

Scot-65
Dyslexia is a permanent physical disability that cannot be seen.
Introverts is proof that there is indeed intelligent life on this planet.
Contributor
chmoore01
Message 5 of 7 (245 Views)

01-15-2013 06:07 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA
I have modified no files (that I'm aware of). Certainly no ACAD files. The only thing that I did was uninstall an Epson all-in-one and install an HP one. I don't think that should have messed with ACAD. To my knowledge, ACAD was working a few weeks ago, and I tried it Friday and it refused to start with "application Configuration is incorrect" message. The "etc." refers to the other customizations we all put in to make ACAD work to our personal preferences. The real issues are all of the menu bars that I have customized over time. I'd like to recover them for the new installation. I'm running XP Home, SP3 (or later as I keep it up to date). If you can direct me to which files to copy off onto a flash memory, (with locations if possible), I'll uninstall the current non-working ACAD, remove the ACAD directories, and reinstall. Then copy the customization files over writing the default ones. Feasible? Chuck Moore
Contributor
chmoore01
Message 6 of 7 (245 Views)

01-15-2013 06:07 PM in reply to: pendean
Strange, I have Windows Explorer set to show system and hidden files but teh Explorer Search doesn't go by that until you do a second search. I found 11 .CUI files in Program files\Autocad2009\userdatacache\support. These all have 2008 and 2009 dated. I found a second set in Documents & Settings\Application data\autodesk\AutoCAD 2009\R17.2\enu\support. These all haev more recent dates. If I copy these with the later dates and then over write teh installed files, will that give me the menu customizations in teh new install? Are there any other files I need to move over? I could find no .CUIX files. Thanks Chuck Moore
Contributor
chmoore01
Message 7 of 7 (239 Views)

01-16-2013 06:59 AM in reply to: scot-65

Copying the files you suggested, reinstalling ACAD and copying the old files over the new ones worked fine.  There were a couple of small items that didn't make it over, but this did the trick very nicely.

Thanks a lot.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.