AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

Valued Contributor
freelancette
Message 1 of 8 (193 Views)

HELP with annotation scales in acad 2008

193 Views, 7 Replies
04-15-2009 07:00 AM
I am using a trial version of acad 08. I have a floor plan in 2 different scales in paper space floating viewports. When I set the VP scale and the Annotation scale to the same thing (say, 1/16"=1'-0" or another one)---the dimensions balloon up huge and take up the whole viewport. The Dim Style is set to annotation and the annotation icon shows when you move the cursor over a dim line, so it should be fine, but it isn't. The only way it looks kind of ok is if I set the Annot. scale at 1:1. The book says, though, that the VP scale and Anno. scale should be the same---but I can't do that. Is this a fluke of the trail version or is something amiss?
jeanpaulp
Message 2 of 8 (193 Views)

Re: HELP with annotation scales in acad 2008

04-15-2009 10:28 AM in reply to: freelancette
Select the text or dimensions. Right click and select "Annotative Dimension Scale", then select "Add Delete Scales". Remove all scales you don't need (1/32, 1:30, etc..).
Now back in the "paper space" highlight the viewport and select the scale you need. This should clear everything up.
Valued Contributor
freelancette
Message 3 of 8 (193 Views)

04-15-2009 12:07 PM in reply to: freelancette
I appreciate your help, but I am still awfully confused. When I remove all the scales but one, my dimensions disappear! Somehow, I read in the beginning that I should set the annotation scale to 1:1 and now I can't seem to change anything in the Annot. list on the Status Bar without creating mayhem. I also read the text height in the Text Style box should be left at "0" so that it doesn't interfere with the dimension height. I can set the vports to a scale, but on the status bar it says the VP scale is what it is, but the annot. scale has to stay at 1:1 or my dimensions blow up huge and the whole screen turns red (the color of the dimensions.) My vports have a floor plan at 2 scales: 1/16"=1'-0" and 1/4"=1'-0". The text "Kitchen" disappeared in one vport and I double-clicked to enter model space, got rid of extra scales, and set the scale to 1/4" on the properties palette. It looked fine----but then that word disappeared in the model space tab !! Everything is out of whack and I can't seem to do anything with it. I am going to start over with a new drawing. What do you recommend for the settings for "text height" in both the Text Style box and Dim Style box? Should I set the scale right away in the Status Bar when I begin the drawing? Thanks for any input you may have!
Distinguished Contributor
jdavis417
Message 4 of 8 (193 Views)

04-15-2009 01:15 PM in reply to: freelancette
If you sign-up at http://au.autodesk.com/ you can browse to Bill Fane's class "Up & Down the Scales" (or something like that) for a great video course. All will be revealed!!!
jdavis417
Message 5 of 8 (193 Views)

04-15-2009 01:15 PM in reply to: freelancette
Let me know if you can't get access, I'll try to find a way to get you to this file... I could post it to my vlog.

As a brief answer... set the text height to what it should be on paper (no dimscale, or plot scale manipulations required)... before you try to use this in paper space, TURN OFF the buttons for "Automatically Add Scales" and "Show All Scales" (Autodesk shot you in the foot by defaulting these to ON).

We're all in this together,

JD
Valued Contributor
freelancette
Message 6 of 8 (193 Views)

04-15-2009 03:04 PM in reply to: freelancette
Got it!! I'm listening to it right now. Am hoping it helps. This annotation feature has a few rough edges that need to be refined, I think.
Thank you VERY much for your help!!!
Valued Contributor
freelancette
Message 7 of 8 (193 Views)

04-18-2009 11:37 AM in reply to: freelancette
Just wanted to update you on my (former) dilemma..... The podcast you suggested was extremely helpful! [Much more so than all the tutorials/forum posts/book chapters/etc. I had previously consulted combined --- kudos to Bill Fane!] Thank you again. I discovered that in the process, I had inadvertently messed up my settings in the Dim Text Style box and subsequently corrected them. Things got much better after that. I think I have more or less mastered this process now. One thing I discovered: very occasionally an annot. object, while displaying at the same scale as all the other annot. objects, for some reason doesn't look quite big enough or small enough in a unique position in a certain viewport scale. What I did to solve this problem: I created a whole new Text Style or Dim Style for just this object (at a different scale.) It then worked beautifully.
Loffmar77
Message 8 of 8 (193 Views)

04-20-2009 09:05 AM in reply to: freelancette
Thanks for posting the link to that class. I've saved it to review later on...

One think that really bites me in the hind end is for some reason my add remove scales feature doesn't work. I don't know if it's just another bug but it really takes along time to get around without it. My Co. has subscription service and we're supposed to be getting 2010 soon, so hopefully I won't have to worry about that trouble for too much longer.

I think I've got an ok grasp on the annotative thing but I probably am not getting all that I could out of it.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.