AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

CSSIENGR
Message 1 of 7 (502 Views)

General Motors Validator and 2009

502 Views, 6 Replies
05-28-2010 12:35 PM
I am working on a project for GM and they use an add on that scans through attributes as well as the information ourtside of the border they give us. This allows them to do (2) things: First, make sure the border attributes are filled out correctly. Two: It checks to make sure there are no entites outside of the border. I guess this is a big no-no to them and a lot of hassle for me. I did not decompile the code to see what it exactly looks for, but I know it will pick up any Mtext points, insertion points for blocks, and any other invisible data.

Here is my problem, we use Inventor and convert our IDW drawings into DWG drawings. I then copy clip the GM border to the new AutoCAD dwg that has my assembly drawing. This border is an A1 size metric border. I resize the border to fit the drawing because Inventor kicks out drawings based on the model scale that was initially placed. (For instance, if you place a view on your IDW at 1/10 scale, the whole drawing will reflect a scale of 1/10 scale regardless if you place another view at 1/2 or whatever).

Anyway, after I resize I have a border that is the exact fit to my drawing. I run the validator and it says I have over 158 entities outside of the border. So I do a ctrl-a and see what all is sitting outside the border. I get (1) grip. There is NOTHING else out there?! There is some invisible data I cannot select and do not know how to view it. By the way, the one grip for some reason gets ignored by the scan in other drawings that do not produce ANY entities. This ONLY happens for my most technical complex assemblies.

I know most if not all of you looking at this have every used the validator. GMPT has just adopted it. I do not fully understand why they have to check for misc. points outside the border. I have tried so many things to get ride of the points outside of that border but am out of options now. The one thing that has worked for my other drawings is that I do a ctrl-a, then I hold select and DE-select the border and info inside the border. After it de-selects, it leaves me with anything outside the border...normally. I then hit the delete key and zap all the extra crap out of the exterior of the border. From what I can see, it is all one x one pixel mtext that Inventor seems to carry over as insertion points. This only seems to work on the piece details, not the complex assemblies.
rcmac21
Message 2 of 7 (284 Views)

Re: General Motors Validator and 2009

07-24-2012 04:30 PM in reply to: CSSIENGR

I am writing because I have just run into the same problem as you did. I am working on GM title block and just finished all my drawings and have finally gotten the validation tool to work. I have only 3 entities outside tile block only I can not get any to display. Does your cntl+A display entities for you that exist outside title block? Did you find a way around issue or find a way to solve it since your posting?

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 3 of 7 (271 Views)

07-25-2012 09:05 AM in reply to: rcmac21

Hi,

can you upload a drawing? At least you can copy your drawing and remove all inside the titleblock, you can change the attributes of the titleblock if there is anything to secret to publish it on www. But the rest you can upload and we can verify what is outside and how it's selectable.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
rcmac21
Message 4 of 7 (269 Views)

07-25-2012 10:27 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

It is a really simple drawing and did not expect any problems with a single part drawing. I attached it in full. The third angle projection has one grip outside border but that is all I can find, validation tools tell me I have 3.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 5 of 7 (266 Views)

07-25-2012 10:38 AM in reply to: rcmac21

Hi,

ok, that was too simple, switch all layers on and you see what's outside of the border: 3 blocks for different languages (could it be that you use some software for translating your DWG-text-content and that application does the placement outside the border?)

Or did I miss something?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
rcmac21
Message 6 of 7 (265 Views)

07-25-2012 10:41 AM in reply to: CSSIENGR

I am drawing in Inventor 2012 and drawing is idw. I have to convert this too autocad 2010 for GM. and then place on thier border so anything is possible.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 7 of 7 (263 Views)

07-25-2012 10:53 AM in reply to: rcmac21

Hi,

have you verified in Inventor then if the objects exists outside the border?

I can't do that as I have no knowledge with Inventor, but I htink that this is the start of the journey for getting to the basics of the issue.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!