Did you mean: 

Compatibility

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
lpalmer81
599 Views, 23 Replies

Compatibility

To prevent my purchase of the wrong AutoCAD software, please advise if AutoCAD for Windows - 7 platform be used to open drawings, that were created with AutoCAD 2008 for Windows - Vista platform.   I owned AutoCAD 2008 software- Vista platform, but, lost it via the infamous Cryptowall encryption virus.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: lpalmer81

Hi,

please open new threads when you have new questions, as this thread here is marked as solved, not many people will look here to see if questions are open.

>> AutoCAD program cannot open them;  I receive an 'invalid drawing file' message

Then you have either defect files or you have files that are saved in a newer DWG format, newer than your AutoCAD can open.

In the first case you can try to repair the drawing using command _RECOVER (instead of command _OPEN)

In the second case you can download DWG TrueView from Autodesk (is free) and save the drawings back.

Good luck, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 22 of 24
lpalmer81
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

OK....you are not understanding and it's my fault, because, I apparently am not being clear, that I cannot even 'open' the damaged drawing files to even enter "_RECOVER" in the command section.   I probably should have purchased AutoCAD software 2008 or later, because, now I'm learning that earlier version 2007, cannot open drawings created from later versions.    

Message 23 of 24
lpalmer81
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Excerpt from your post:

"And again, drawings created with AutoCAD 2008 can be opened with AutoCAD 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 independent from OS like Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 as well as with AutoCAD's running on Mac OS."

My post:

Because I lost my AutoCAD 2008 software to a hacking, I scavenged around and reluctantly acquired AutoCAD 2007 software and received the following message when I attempted to open the drawing file..."Invalid Drawing File".   Why?  Your post above says that I should be able to open drawings created from 2008 software, with 2007 software.   

Message 24 of 24
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: lpalmer81

Hi,

>> Your post above says that I should be able to open drawings created from 2008 software, with 2007 software.   

Yes, that is correct, because The DWG2007 format is used from AutoCAD 2007, 2008 and 2009.

Upload one of your drawings that you can't open to see what format they are saved with or if they are defect.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost