Did you mean: 

Compatibility

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
lpalmer81
588 Views, 23 Replies

Compatibility

To prevent my purchase of the wrong AutoCAD software, please advise if AutoCAD for Windows - 7 platform be used to open drawings, that were created with AutoCAD 2008 for Windows - Vista platform.   I owned AutoCAD 2008 software- Vista platform, but, lost it via the infamous Cryptowall encryption virus.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: lpalmer81

Hi,

I don't know the version you are meaning by "AutoCAD for Windows - 7".

Starting with AutoCAD 2010 SP1 all releases up to now (2015) can be run on Windows 7 and yes, they are all newer than release 2008 and so can open drawings created with release 2008?

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 24
lpalmer81

Thank you for replying to my AutoCAD inquiry.
Back in 2009 I purchased AutoCAD 2008 from eBay;  the advertisement specified, that the software is for Windows 'Vista' platform.
Well...OK, my computer's Operating System [ platform] was indeed 'Vista'.   So...I purchased that particular AutoCAD software.
Unfortunately, my computer hard drive recently became encrypted by the infamous Cryptowall virus, which caused me to lose my AutoCAD 2008 program and cannot locate the original AutoCAD software this many years later.  I removed the encrypted Vista hard drive and installed Windows 7 Ultimate.  Hence, to prevent myself from purchasing the wrong and costly AutoCAD software, I need to know whether or not AutoCAD meant for Windows 7, can be used, to open and work the drawings, that I created, with the AutoCAD Windows - Vista.  ??!!
I was advised, that each successive AutoCAD release is indeed compatible with its predecessor.
But, it's the difference of Operating System [platform] that I am concerned with, not the AutoCAD release date. 
If I purchase AutoCAD software meant for Windows 7, just to discover, that the software 'cannot' open the drawings created with AutoCAD Windows Vista, I cannot return the opened software package to get my money back.

Message 4 of 24
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

there does not exist an AutoCAD for Vista or an AutoCAD for Windows 7.

Also the drawing file (DWG) does not differ depending on what operating system your AutoCAD was started.

So every DWG file you have created with AutoCAD 2008 (indepent from OS) can be opened by any newer release (also independent from OS).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 24
pendean

Let's fix this perceived problem with one link, this one: explore the "solutions" on that page for the AutoCAD version you are interested in http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-...
Message 6 of 24
lpalmer81
in reply to: pendean

Thank you for the referring me to a chart for AutoCAD compatibility. 

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Operati...

According to said chart, AutoCAD 2008 32-bit Home Premium, appears to be compatible 'only' with Windows ‘Vista’.....and drawings created with said AutoCAD 2008 32-bit Home Premium, cannot be opened with any other version of AutoCAD.  So, it looks like AutoCAD versions are indeed Operation System-specific.  My drawings, created with AutoCAD for Vista OS, ‘cannot’ be opened with AutoCAD for Windows 7 OS.  That's really not good in my situation.

Message 7 of 24
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> .and drawings created with said AutoCAD 2008 32-bit Home Premium, cannot be opened with any other

>> version of AutoCAD.  [...]  My drawings, created with AutoCAD for Vista OS, ‘cannot’ be opened with

>> AutoCAD for Windows 7 OS

Sorry  ... that is totally wrong.

I don't know why you think that.

And again, drawings created with AutoCAD 2008 can be opened with AutoCAD 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 inedependent from OS like Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 as well as with AutoCAD's running on Mac OS.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 8 of 24
lpalmer81
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hello Alfred:

Well....you certainly are convincing and seem to know AutoCAD.   I'm...the confused one.
So, because my computer OS was Windows Vista, I 'erroneously' thought, that I must purchase AutoCAD 2008 specifically for Vista OS, which is exactly how eBay seller described the software....for...Vista.    I'm glad, that I am wrong and that you reassured me of compatibility of all AutoCAD versions.     Now, I can fearlessly purchase any version of AutoCAD.  You know the drill; once a software package is opened...it 'cannot' be returned for money back.  That's why I am being verucautious about OS.                    
Message 9 of 24
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

think about existing customers, having created thousands of drawings (DWG-files). What would they tell Autodesk when they would not be able to open their files just because they changed to a new workstation/os. 😉

The current release of AutoCAD is 2015, buy it and you can run that on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (I would not recommend Windows 8), make an update training and continue to work with your drawings!

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 24
lpalmer81

Alfred, thank you very much for the information.  I really wonder why the seller on Ebay, advertised the AutoCAD software, as 'specifically' for Windows Vista...??!!  Because I had Vista as my OS, I bought 'that' particular AutoCAD.  Even recently, I see AutoCAD software for sale on Amazon....and the advertisements list the platorms [OS ] as: Windows, Vista / XP / 7.  Don't know why sellers just don't simply list as 'Windows' period!

Message 11 of 24
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> why sellers just don't simply list as 'Windows' period!

please make sure not to get confused between versions of "AutoCAD release" versions of "DWG files".

You have to differenciate that every AutoCAD release is designed and testet on specific Windows versions whereas a DWG file created by any AutoCAD release can always be opened by any newer AutoCAD version.

In detail:

For AutoCAD (the software) it is correct, as you can see in the list of system requirements there are releases running on Windows XP, releases of AutoCAD running on Vista, some running on Windows 7 and the newest ones running on top of Windows 8.1. So e.g.  AutoCAD 2008 (wich can be installed on Windows 2000, on Windows XP, and on Windows Vista) is not designed to run on Windows 7 or 8/8.1 ...whereas AutoCAD 2015 is designed to run on top of Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1

The drawing files written from AutoCAD 2008 on Windows XP is the same DWG format as written from AutoCAD 2008 running on Windows Vista. And so every newer AutoCAD can open that DWG files.

Hope that makes it clear why a reseller gives you the info on what OS the AutoCAD will run, but that has nothing to do with the DWG file format.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 12 of 24
lpalmer81

Sorry for beating this to a pulp....but.....I need to get this right....one last time....

Excerpt from your previous reply:

" ...So e.g.  AutoCAD 2008 (wich can be installed on Windows 2000, on Windows XP, and on Windows Vista) is not designed to run on Windows 7 or 8/8.1..."

Therefore:  drawing files 'created' with AutoCAD 2008 can be 'opened' and 'worked on' in Windows 7,  but, the AutoCAD 2008 software 'itself', will not operate on Windows 7...right?  

Message 13 of 24
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

yes, AutoCAD 2008 (software) is not designed to run on Windows 7. At least it's not supported by Autodesk and it's not  tested on Windows 7 (Windows 7 didn't exist when AutoCAD 2008 was released, so no chance to test it 😉 ).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 14 of 24
lpalmer81

Hello Alfred;  My computer OS is now Windows 7;  the earliest version of AutoCAD for Windows 7 is AutoCAD 2010 and described as 3D drawings.       Can 2D drawings be created as well, on this 3D format...or...is it strictly 3D drawing?

Message 15 of 24
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

I don't know why you first look to an old release, you won't get it today, today you only can buy release 2015.

>> Can 2D drawings be created as well, on this 3D format...or...is it strictly 3D drawing?

You can run the same commands for 2D construction that you have used with 2008 (and more 😉 ).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 16 of 24
pendean

AutoCAD 2008 installs and runs in Win7 for thousands of users, only a few hundred have problems with it.

AutoCAD 2015's free trial downlaod (good for teasting all of your questions) would answer all of your questions in Win7 without you having to kep posting and asking the same questions over and over again 🙂
Message 17 of 24
lpalmer81
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the suggestion of downloading AutoCAD 2015 free trial, but, I no longer trust downloading 'anything' from the Internet;  I recently became a victim of Cryptowall ransome ware and lost all of my files including AutoCAD 2008 progam....lucky me.  Besides, I already received reliable responses to my AutoCAD inquiries from another source other than this forum.

Message 18 of 24
lpalmer81

Hello.

How to change from a black background drawing area to a 'white' background drawing area.  

Message 19 of 24
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> How to change from a black background drawing area

Crossposting, please continue >>>there<<<.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 20 of 24
lpalmer81

How do I open drawings when my AutoCAD program cannot open them;  I receive an 'invalid drawing file' message.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost