AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

Contributor
KenJG
Message 1 of 3 (185 Views)

Circular Dimensioning

185 Views, 2 Replies
07-29-2012 12:00 PM

Hello & Thank you in advance.

I'm working on a drawing in ACAD 2009 and it's a circular plate. My origin is the center and there are exact same dimensions in each quad (sections). My questions is, is there a proper way to dimension this with out adding too many dimensions? I have attached the drawing which I started to dimension. I'm sure I'm sure I'm not giving enough info, so please ask.

If the original ACAD drawing is needed let me know.

Regards

KenJG

AutoCAD 2009

Thank You

KenJG
*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 2 of 3 (160 Views)

Re: Circular Dimensioning

08-01-2012 10:39 PM in reply to: KenJG

Who will build this part?  A machinist?  You might want to find one and ask them what they would like to see on a fabrication drawing, or what they would need in order to fabricate this.  That's actually what I would do.  You can ask other cad people, but your real target is the guy making the part.  He's the one whose opinion counts the most.  If you get it right for him (or her) it really doesn't matter what we say.  :smileytongue:

My first thought, and I'm no qualified draughtsman or anything, would be to locate everything off the plate centerpoint with radial and angular dimensions.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 3 of 3 (140 Views)

Re: Circular Dimensioning

08-04-2012 07:16 PM in reply to: KenJG

You are missing dimensions and have duplicate dimensions that are not required.

First of all - what standard are you using?

Are you required to use odinate dimensioning (perfectly fine, just trying to clarify).

I would dimension those inner slots (actually just one of them) quite differently.

You should know something about the manufacturing processes and inspection for doing dimensioning.

I don't use AutoCAD much anymore so I seldom visit this older forum, but if I remember to come back here I will show you how I might dimension the part once I know what standard you use (I typically use ANSI/ASME.

Extension lines and hidden lines should be about half the thickness of object lines and there should be gaps between the extension lins and object lines.  It might help if you attach the actual dwg here.

The Machinery's Handbook is typically used in the USA for reference.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.