AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

Cantafford
Message 1 of 8 (337 Views)

AutoCad noob questions

337 Views, 7 Replies
12-08-2012 09:03 AM

I've tried searching for this apparent obvious question but I caan't seem to find an answer. 

Question 1: I started drawing a shape using the line command. Then I stopped by pressing escape. Then I want to resume drawing and completing the shape. But when I try doing so I cannot just continue I have to deal with the stretch point. How can I just continue drawing another line without having to do the stretch point? 

Question 2: About angles. How can I calculate any angle(because I guess autocad can do this beiing the complex program that it is) I want not just the one with the XOY coordonates. Example in picture 1(my case).

Thanks!

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 8 (332 Views)

Re: AutoCad noob questions

12-08-2012 09:42 AM in reply to: Cantafford

Hi,

>> question 1:

if you had constructed the shape where you want to continue as last object then you can use the option to use the last point just by clicking <ENTER> or <SPACE> when you are asked to show the start-point of your next line. AutoCAD stores internally the last construction point in a buffer. And when you now start a new line (or any object asking for a point) you can use this 'last construction point' with giving no point, but press <ENTER> or <SPACE> instead. You can verify that also with sysvar LASTPOINT (>>>details<<<).

In any other case, when LASTPOINT is not valid, because you did some other work after finished the given shape, you can use objectsnaps to define a point to be exactly on a specific point on any existing geometry (>>>details<<<).

>> question 2:

the easiest option is to create an angular dimension, that gives you the option to show 2 lines (segments) and the side of the angle to measure.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
Cantafford
Message 3 of 8 (317 Views)

12-09-2012 04:48 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

More questions :smileyvery-happy:

1. About the pedit command. I think I do not know how to use it. I can't join two polylines no matter what I do :smileysad: 

In pedit image I want to translate polyline 'A' so it starts from position 'B' by beiing joined with the source polyline(that shape) How I do it: I clik edit polyline select the first line(answer 'Y' when asked if I want to convert it to polyline) then select join and select the other polyline. But they won't join. What am I doing wrong? :smileysad:(

2. About the 'dan' command(angular). I figured out how to measure an angle. What I would like to know tough is this: If I have polyline(or line) 'A' and line 'B' which meet under the angle 'C'. Is it possible for me to type a specific value for angle 'C' so that lines 'A' and 'B' modify their angle as I type diffrent values? There must be such an option :smileyvery-happy:

3. Can you please be more specific on explaining how OSNAP's work? I did not understand from the 'see details' :smileysad:

Thanks

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 4 of 8 (314 Views)

12-09-2012 05:23 AM in reply to: Cantafford

Hi,

>> But they won't join

Then the geometry don't match at one point. To join polylines the endpoint of one segment must match with the startpoint of the next one. If there is a distance (even just different Z-values) the can't be connected together.

>> Is it possible for me to type a specific value for angle 'C' so that lines 'A' and 'B' modify their angle

Not with the 6 year old release 2007, nowadays you can use parametrics therefore.

>> Can you please be more specific on explaining how OSNAP's work

If I would, then it's a training with more than 5 sentences. Sorry to say that this is not part of the forum to hold training classes. It's to time-consuming (as I all here is done for free) and also the number of lines would be the same as the manual holds ... a lot to much.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Cantafford
Message 5 of 8 (309 Views)

12-09-2012 06:24 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

About answer 1: What do you mean geometry doesn't match? I know that if you want to join two lines they have to be coliniar but in this case I have two polylines therefore I should be able to join them even if they are not colliniar isn't that correct?

I don't understand what you mean by 'the endpoint of the first segment must be the startpoint of the other' wouldn't that mean they are already joined? 

Sorry if my questions seem spun to you, I just started using autocad few days ago :smileyvery-happy:

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 6 of 8 (305 Views)

12-09-2012 06:32 AM in reply to: Cantafford

Hi,

>> I know that if you want to join two lines they have to be coliniar

Command _PEDIT, option _JOIN does not need to get objects together that are colinear, it connects geometry-objects to one polyline, if there endpoints are at the same position,

So if you have two lines, one from [0,0,0] to [10,10,0] and a second line [10,10,0] to [20,10,0] ... you can _PEDIT/_JOIN then to get a polyline with 3 vertices [0,0,0] [10,10,0] [20,10,0], at the point [10,10,0] they are connected.

>> therefore I should be able to join them even if they are not colliniar

If the points match, then yes.

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Cantafford
Message 7 of 8 (288 Views)

12-10-2012 09:44 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Another question. How can I set the linetype of a layer in autocad 2007?

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 8 of 8 (284 Views)

12-10-2012 10:38 AM in reply to: Cantafford

Hi,

>> How can I set the linetype of a layer in autocad 2007?

Ever searched for layer and linetype in the help?

The time you write this and wait for an answer you would have solved it already.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.