Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A font is the engineering drawing (more or less)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
DEZATEK
1366 Views, 4 Replies

A font is the engineering drawing (more or less)

I don't even have a version of AutotCad yet. But, think I can get an eary copy inexpensively.

I want to make signs. I want to create engineering drawings (2D will do) of fonts.  So, a font is the engineering drawing, or a large part of it.

How would you produce a drawing of a font in AutoCad?

I wonder if there are any apps that deal with this.

I've heard of TXTEXP. Don't know what that is. I suppose an app.

Thanks for any help forthcoming.  Rich

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
DEZATEK
in reply to: DEZATEK

Oh, I see there is also t2g Text To Geometry. Compatible with AutoCad but nothing earlier than 2012.
Message 3 of 5
bgingerich

So if I'm understanding you correctly... You want to take a font and "explode" that text to its geometry (lines, arcs, etc.). 

Do you want to then edit the geometry these fonts and then export the geometry as a font?  AFAIK, AutoCAD is the wrong tool for that. 

Or do you just want the geometry of the fonts for other purposes?

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Brandon Gingerich
Message 4 of 5
Patchy

T2G works with 2008 too, it needs Version 3.5 of .NET framework for it to work, not particular acad version.

Message 5 of 5
DEZATEK
in reply to: Patchy

I've found a simple solution, that I would have found yesterday if I had been using my tower PC rarther than my laptop, which won't run CAD programs very well.

I chose a Text Tool in a graphics program and scaled it to the size I want by draging a corner of the text graphic.  Then I saved it as a DWG file. I then opened the file with a free Drafting program. It worked.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost