AutoCAD 2004/2005/2006

Distinguished Contributor
koehler
Message 1 of 3 (68 Views)

wireframe to 2-d

68 Views, 2 Replies
02-15-2005 06:25 AM
I have a wireframe layout from a vendor. I want to create 2-d drawings from these various parts/ layers. What is the procedure. I have not used Acad in years and never wireframe.
madcadd
Message 2 of 3 (68 Views)

Re: wireframe to 2-d

02-15-2005 08:06 AM in reply to: koehler
Hi koehler,

Wireframe is a 3d model in 2d form (just not shaded).

Go into layout model space (floating model space) and orient the model how you want it to appear in the 2d dwg you want to create. You will want to shade it so that you can more easily recognize what you are looking at. (What I would do if I wanted 3 orthographic views is copy the model two more times (with ortho on so they stay lined up) to the views I want, then rotate the other 2 views so that all 3 views are correct from 1 view (say top or world). Now, important at this point, if you want to keep the model, make a copy of it and place it on its own separate layer with an innovative name like Model Layer and freeze it. Why? Because we are going to delete the 3 models we have showing here AFTER we then type in SOLPROF on the command line. Hit enter 4 times and you just created a 2d facsimile of a 3d model.

Now 2 new layer have been created with the solprof command, one for hidden lines and one for visible stuff. If you have no need for the hidden (as is the case for me quite often), you can delete it with the model in a second. Freeze the visible layer then delete everything else still showing. Obviously, if you do want some or all of the entities on the hidden layer, don't dump it. Then thaw the visible layer, explode it and move it via a window selection, not a crossing window nor do you want to answer "all" to the command line prompt to select entities, to Layer 0 or another specific layer for it such as OrthoViews or Part or whatever and all you have to do now is dimension and annotate and your done. Oops you'll want purge at this point to clean up the drawing a little. Then you're done.
koehler
Message 3 of 3 (68 Views)

Re: wireframe to 2-d

02-15-2005 01:57 PM in reply to: koehler
Good explanation, I'll work on it. Stay away from Acad long enough and its not long before you forget it.

Thanks
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.