AutoCAD 2004/2005/2006

Active Contributor
JaelaDawn
Message 1 of 8 (583 Views)

it isn't really an image ...

583 Views, 7 Replies
11-17-2011 02:43 PM

We got a drawing from another company and there's a background photo in it. (It's a satellite-type photo of the site, so we want it there. It isn't like somebody's dog or anything.)

When I open the drawing the photo is visible and can be selected by just touching it. When it is selected it has grip-like components on its corners. But it won't obey any commands. I can't List it or Move it or change its layer. I'm in charge here, it should obey me!!

I typed IMAGE and it isn't listed. A titleblock image was listed but not found, so I deleted that and now the IMAGE list is empty.

What the "heck" is this thing?  My guess is that it was clipped out of a website and pasted into the drawing, so it isn't really a recognizable object. But I'm just guessing. I got it into place and found that it plots VERY oddly. How can I make this into a manipulable object?

Thanks for solving my problem, (!)

Jaela

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 2 of 8 (581 Views)

Re: it isn't really an image ...

11-17-2011 03:39 PM in reply to: JaelaDawn

It's an OLE

hit F1, OLE,  it'll tell you more.

Active Contributor
JaelaDawn
Message 3 of 8 (579 Views)

11-17-2011 04:10 PM in reply to: Patchy

Ooooh Patchy, you had me all excited there! But I tried what it says in the Help menu, namely, cut the OLE, switch to the layer you want it on (I figured I could turn the picture on or off by turning the layer on or off) and Paste it back in. Unfortunately, it came back in at a different location, and a different size.

Sigh. Why can't this just be easy?

Any other advice?

Jaela

Active Contributor
JaelaDawn
Message 4 of 8 (578 Views)

11-17-2011 04:14 PM in reply to: Patchy

Oh yeah, I also tried double-clicking the thing 'cause Help says that'll let me edit it. All double-clicking got me was an error message: Can not activate a static ActiveX object.

Couple of things I'd like to activate right about now ...

Jae

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 5 of 8 (572 Views)

11-17-2011 04:28 PM in reply to: JaelaDawn

What do you want to do with this OLE?

Attach it here and let's see

*Expert Elite*
Bob_Zurunkle
Message 6 of 8 (564 Views)

11-18-2011 09:33 AM in reply to: JaelaDawn

Okay dumb question. What's your FRAME setting?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted :smileyhappy:
Active Contributor
JaelaDawn
Message 7 of 8 (559 Views)

11-18-2011 03:38 PM in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

IMAGEFRAME is set to ON. Is that what you meant? I tried that first.

What I want to do with the "image" is have it as a background for what I'm drawing. I want to put it on its very own layer and turn it on or off, depending on what I'm printing.

But right now it prints all stretched out and wacky, and when I right-click and ask for its properties it says something different depending on how Zoomed-in I am, and it gets selected when I try to click on something I've drawn. (Although I have learned that if I right-click on it I can uncheck Selectable, which fixes that part of the problem.) It won't let me scale it, except by dragging one of the little grip-like things, and that ain't what I'd call accurate.

My plan was to plot it, scan it, then reinsert it into the drawing as a .jpg file. But it plots all stretched out and wacky (as I mentioned before) so there went that idea.

If all else fails, I may just go online and get a new aerial photo shot, then save THAT as a .jpg and the "heck" with what the other guy sent us. But I'd like to learn to handle anything that comes at me.

Which is why I'm here ...

Thank you kindly for any advice/suggestions,

Jaela

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 8 of 8 (545 Views)

11-22-2011 07:22 AM in reply to: JaelaDawn

OLEFRAME of OLE objects.

IMAGEFRAME for IMAGE objects.

unlike current versions of AutoCAD, there is no single Frame command in your older version.

And scaling of any image will only enhance the distortion and print issues: if you need a bigger image you need to start with a "bigger" image.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!