AutoCAD 2004/2005/2006

New Member
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎12-08-2011
Message 1 of 4 (215 Views)
Accepted Solution


215 Views, 3 Replies
12-08-2011 01:48 PM

Hope someone can be so kind as to help me.

I am trying to get back familiar with AutoCAD, I haven't used AutoCAD in like 7 years. The version I am trying to use is AutoCAD 2005.

I am trying to group objects, so I can just click the object and move the whole object (instead of having to highlight
each individual pieces).

I tried typing GROUP command but it is asking me to name it. I remember it was very simple and I did not have to name anything.


Any help is appreciated. Thanks

*Expert Elite*
Posts: 6,240
Registered: ‎09-16-2009
Message 2 of 4 (208 Views)

Re: Grouping

12-08-2011 08:39 PM in reply to: tolaskamp

Autolisp is the way to make a group called unnamed group.


If you don't want to use lisp then use CTRL+C or CTRL+Shift+C and CTRL+Shift+V to make unnamed block.

New Member
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎12-08-2011
Message 3 of 4 (198 Views)

Re: Grouping

12-09-2011 03:44 PM in reply to: Patchy

I will give that a try. Thank you.

*Expert Elite*
Posts: 22,244
Registered: ‎11-06-2003
Message 4 of 4 (191 Views)

Re: Grouping

12-12-2011 05:46 AM in reply to: tolaskamp

Unless it was different in your older version, there is an UNNAMED box you need to check before you create the NEW group, and then you don't have to enter a name.


also, -GROUP (note the dash in the name) then use * when prompted for a name.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.