AutoCAD 2004/2005/2006

AutoCAD 2004/2005/2006

Distinguished Contributor
dhadley
Message 1 of 8 (76 Views)

autosaves/recover drawing nightmares

76 Views, 7 Replies
04-07-2005 12:01 PM
One of those days so far and I'm going to go mental. Can someone verify what is going on.

From what I understand, if you have a power outage (not a proper shutdown), then the sv$ should remain. Well this morning, I actually accidentally rebooted the computer (accidently turned off the power switch on the power bar trying to unplug a heater...doh), and there was nothing to be found - no .bak, no sv$. 2 hours lost as I never saved.

So I start again and check my directory after a while to make sure autosave is working and it is. I saved 1/2 an hour in. 1/2 hour later, the drawing crashed when I flipped paperspace tabs - there is always an offer to save a recover drawing although I know they never work. I hit yes for the heck of it anyway, realize the _recover.dwg drawing is useless of course, then go to my autosave directory, and realize the sv$ is once again friggin gone. Another 1/2 hour wasted. Reading up on it, it seems that autocad deletes the autosave if you 'shut down' properly. So did it think I shut down properly when I accepted to save a recover drawing?

To follow that up, it seems in reading other posts, that the 2nd autosave will in turn change the 1st autosave to a .bak file. If that is the case, why was there no backup file after 2 hours of work and what should have been 6 or so autosaves? Autosave was on 15 minutes and the create backup copy after every save option is checked, also isavebak is set to 1 if that matters.

What the heck is going on??
Also, what good is the 'ability' to try to save a recover drawing when there is a corruption, if the drawing is 100% useless? In 2000, when you saved, it would overwrite your .dwg file, and after recover, everything would be recovered correctly up to where the error occured. Now we just can't do that anymore! This is just plain dumb, and another example in where they have taken a step back in these new releases.

Suggestions for other settings to check, or suggestions other than just hit save every 5 minutes if there is any.

TIA
Dave
*Walt Engle
Message 2 of 8 (76 Views)

Re: autosaves/recover drawing nightmares

04-07-2005 12:58 PM in reply to: dhadley
I can understand your frustration, but part of it is your fault - sorry, but you should have your system setup to save automatically at least every 10 minutes.
dhadley
Message 3 of 8 (76 Views)

04-07-2005 02:16 PM in reply to: dhadley
Been there, done that - but 2005 is so ridiculously slow with autosave (locks up for 10 seconds before it decides to do something), that I bumped it up more (used to be at 10). Has nothing to do with the fact that there was no sv$ or .bak files available after a power off shutdown after 2 hours (with autosave at 15 minutes).

btw
p3 3.0gig
512 ram
128 video
80 gig HD
peter.ashby
Message 4 of 8 (76 Views)

04-08-2005 02:36 AM in reply to: dhadley
We used to have our autosave set to 10 minutes, then we got a file that went up to about 120Mb that used to take 30 minutes to autosave, of course it had just about finished saving, when it saved again to catch up on the saves it had missed while autosaveing PITA or what.
Check your file paths and see where it is supposed to save autosaves - we re-directed ours to a server folder so all backups and autosaves went there (makes cleaning out Gb of old backup files easier) now users always know to look there first. worth checking you are able to write to the directory its supposed to autosave.
bberghahn
Message 5 of 8 (76 Views)

04-08-2005 08:00 AM in reply to: dhadley
I have had that problem, but it usually came with an error message about some fatal exception at some line of code inside autocad. I have talked to a CAD tech about it, and his main responce to that is first - there is something in the program that doesn't like talking to something else when it happens; or two - there isn't enough memory in you computer.

with mine we had 256mb of RAM in the PC and uped the memory to 1.256GB of RAM, I don't have any problems any more, and that was about 6 weeks ago. The problems normally would hit my PC and/or program 2 to 3 times a week.

so try the memory thing first, if u can, the other option is to reload the program in its entirely.

Unistall the program for add/remove programs, then go in and manually delete out everything left behind (not dwgs), the reinstall the program.
*doug k
Message 6 of 8 (76 Views)

04-08-2005 09:53 AM in reply to: dhadley
No, not "autosave" every 10 minutes (or whatever), "save automatically" instead every X minutes. They are two different things. Do NOT rely on autosave to save your bacon. There are numerous ways to set your system up to save your drawing periodically. Search the groups, tons of stuff here. "dhadley" wrote in message news:15025470.1112908643393.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Been there, done that - but 2005 is so ridiculously slow with autosave > (locks up for 10 seconds before it decides to do something), that I bumped > it up more (used to be at 10). Has nothing to do with the fact that there > was no sv$ or .bak files available after a power off shutdown after 2 > hours (with autosave at 15 minutes). > > btw > p3 3.0gig > 512 ram > 128 video > 80 gig HD
dhadley
Message 7 of 8 (76 Views)

04-08-2005 11:46 AM in reply to: dhadley
Ok, you've got my attention now Doug! Searched around and I don't see info about an 'automatic save' vs a save to sv$. If it was something you could have done automatically every 10 minutes without having to manually do it, I'd be all over that - after all, I find now that saves are now faster than the 'autosaves'.

Is this a variable, or a lisp routine? Any insight greatly appreciated as this is the first I've heard of this possibility.

TIA

As to crashes, this was the first time in a long time - usually not an issue, just bugs me that you can no longer recover like you could in 2000.
*doug k
Message 8 of 8 (76 Views)

04-08-2005 01:12 PM in reply to: dhadley
one method (snipped from an earlier thread) is to use lisp to add a qsave to a semi-often used command: (command "undefine" ".zoom");;;or replace zoom with command of your choice (defun c:zoom () (command "qsave" ".zoom"));;;don't forget the "," in front of the command You can also add qsave to the front of macros in menu commands/buttons. Give priority to the commands that have a history of tossing cows (like "plot" "hatch" "bpoly"). The downside to methods like this is that sometimes I *don't* want to save a drawing. The absolute best method is to customize a keystroke devoted to qsave, and train yourself to use it everytime you've accomplished something you don't want to have to repeat. "dhadley" wrote in message news:13995565.1112986004756.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Ok, you've got my attention now Doug! Searched around and I don't see > info about an 'automatic save' vs a save to sv$. If it was something you > could have done automatically every 10 minutes without having to manually > do it, I'd be all over that - after all, I find now that saves are now > faster than the 'autosaves'. > > Is this a variable, or a lisp routine? Any insight greatly appreciated as > this is the first I've heard of this possibility. > > TIA > > As to crashes, this was the first time in a long time - usually not an > issue, just bugs me that you can no longer recover like you could in 2000.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.