AutoCAD 2004/2005/2006

AutoCAD 2004/2005/2006

djen
Message 1 of 9 (464 Views)

Autocad freezes up Netowrked Autocad Computers

464 Views, 8 Replies
04-01-2008 06:33 AM
After upgrading our network to a server based network we are experiencing issues with AutoCAD 2006 freezing up. This affects all 4 computers running AutoCAD at the same time. The freeze typically lasts for a few seconds and does not cause data loss but does make working frustrating.

All computers are the same running Windows XP (sp2) and 1GB of Ram. Also note this was not an issues prior to the server based network setup. Each workstation is running AutoCAD licensed to the workstation and not a network license. The only networked folder is the drawing folder. All other folders are on the local computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Valued Contributor
paulyking
Message 2 of 9 (464 Views)

Re: Autocad freezes up Netowrked Autocad Computers

04-01-2008 09:22 AM in reply to: djen
Is it freezing when it autosaves?
Are you running other programs at the same time?
A good rule of thumb it to eliminate possible causes. Good luck.
djen
Message 3 of 9 (464 Views)

04-01-2008 03:58 PM in reply to: djen
It will freeze during autosave, yet also freezes on other commands. The odd thing is that all the workstations running AutoCAD tend to freeze at the same time. There are other programs running yet these vary from computer to computer and do not seem to have any effect on the freezing.

There were no issues prior to going to a server based network.
dlaporte
Message 4 of 9 (464 Views)

04-02-2008 07:18 AM in reply to: djen
I'm seeing identical behavior with AutoCAD 2006. The freezes seem to affect network file browsing as well.

All clients are running XP SP2 and it even affects those that are not running AutoCAD at the time. We have swapped out all network equipment and the desktops and the problem still occurs.

We're not even sure its AutoCAD causing the problem, but all signs seem to point in that direction...

Any thoughts? Message was edited by: dlaporte
*Alain Cote
Message 5 of 9 (464 Views)

04-02-2008 07:52 AM in reply to: djen
Your IT people need to run process monitors to determine what is causing the
problem. Seeing that all PC's freezing at once points to a network issue
not an app issue. A process monitor can help determine what process is at
issue. Does the Event Viewer, on workstations and servers, have any
meatballs logged, they can also help to define the possible issue, check the
Viewer for logs at the time the machine(s) freeze.

ACote
wrote in message news:5891030@discussion.autodesk.com...
After upgrading our network to a server based network we are experiencing
issues with AutoCAD 2006 freezing up. This affects all 4 computers running
AutoCAD at the same time. The freeze typically lasts for a few seconds and
does not cause data loss but does make working frustrating.

All computers are the same running Windows XP (sp2) and 1GB of Ram. Also
note this was not an issues prior to the server based network setup. Each
workstation is running AutoCAD licensed to the workstation and not a network
license. The only networked folder is the drawing folder. All other
folders are on the local computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan
martinel12
Message 6 of 9 (464 Views)

04-03-2008 10:22 AM in reply to: djen
Disable digital signatures in the Open and Save option in AutoCAD. Also, right click on any acad drawing in explorer and disable digital signatures. This helped us a little bit with latency issues.

We still have performance issues throughout the day since installing 06. We haven't gotten any real solutions or answers as to why 06 runs terribly on the network and runs fine standalone.
djen
Message 7 of 9 (464 Views)

04-07-2008 12:18 PM in reply to: djen
I will be the first to admit I am not an IT person, though I do know what meatballs are but probably not in the context in which Alain mentioned meatballs.

The reason's for thinking the issue lies more with AutoCAD than the network are simple. When AutoCAD locks up other programs on the machines typically work. For example, I can access my e-mail and other programs on my pc while AutoCAD is frozen. E-mail accesses the network yet works fine, AutoCAD which should only be writing drawing files to the server. Yet this program is froze up.
wharris128
Message 8 of 9 (379 Views)

Re: Autocad freezes up Netoworked Autocad Computers

07-20-2011 12:11 PM in reply to: djen

I have a group of 15 workstations that have Autocad 2000 and two that Autocad 2012 that have the same problem.  A couple of times each day all Autocads will freeze fro 30 seconds to 3 minutes.  During this time all other applications on the workstations work fine, such as email, networked printers, Word and Excel documents opened from the same server.  I have ran performance monitors and Wireshark and do not see anything on the network when this happens.  All network traffic and server processes appear normal. 

Ambient-Sam
Message 9 of 9 (296 Views)

Re: Autocad freezes up Netoworked Autocad Computers

11-30-2011 11:05 AM in reply to: wharris128
We were experiencing this issue at one of our clients and I think I just stumbled upon the reason. Check the size of the folder on the network drive that you are trying to save the AutoCad folders into. The size of the folder plays a huge role in how long it takes AutoCad to be able to display the contents of the folder. Our client was trying to save things to a folder that had 10+ Gigs worth of AutoCad files in it, I tried opening other folders that didnt have that much data in them and they were still a bit sluggish but they opened at a much faster rate. It seems that if the folder is anything over a couple hundred MB the AutoCad software crawls to a halt in trying to open the folder in the browse menu or the save menu. I hope this helps you as I was pulling my hair out trying to figure this out, stumbled upon your thread and just stumbled upon the problem being the folder size by sheer accident.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.