AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive

AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive

Reply
*Wally
Message 1 of 7 (142 Views)

Transparent viewport?

142 Views, 6 Replies
12-02-2002 06:38 PM
How can I make viewports in paperspace transparent? I'd like to put text and
lines over the viewports, but the annotations aren't visible on-screen
unless I select them. However, they are visible when I print. I've tried
bring the annotations to front, and sending the viewports to back, but this
doesn't seem to make any difference, and neither does changing the z-coords
of the respective objects.
Distinguished Contributor
jlaidler
Posts: 1,557
Registered: ‎12-11-2003
Message 2 of 7 (142 Views)

Re: Transparent viewport?

12-02-2002 08:19 PM in reply to: *Wally
Place your viewports on the defpoints layer.
*Wally
Message 3 of 7 (142 Views)

Re:

12-02-2002 08:54 PM in reply to: *Wally
"jclaidler" wrote in message

> Place your viewports on the defpoints layer.

This doesn't seem to make any difference. The following is leaving me
wondering what is going on...

Working on a new drawing, I went to the default layout for the first time,
to prepare to do a preliminary plot. The only thing I changed was the paper
size, from A4 to A1. The default viewport was created on the current layer -
a layer that I had created. Just for the hell of it, I decided to see what
would happen when a drew a line, in paper space, over the viewport. Lo and
behold, the line is visible through/over the viewport. Even if I change the
layer that the viewport and/or line is on, the line remains visible.

Now, here's the odd bit - the line disappears behind some of the drawing
elements in model space (eg, a solid hatch). The line is definitely in paper
space, as is the viewport (white background), and the rest of the drawing is
in model space (black background).

Weird...
*coogan, eric
Message 4 of 7 (142 Views)

Re:

12-03-2002 07:10 AM in reply to: *Wally
do you have print paperspace objects last checked on the plot settings
screen menu


"Wally" wrote in message
news:smileyvery-happy:5C5EFB794810699FE27513BB7812F2A@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> "jclaidler" wrote in message
>
> > Place your viewports on the defpoints layer.
>
> This doesn't seem to make any difference. The following is leaving me
> wondering what is going on...
>
> Working on a new drawing, I went to the default layout for the first time,
> to prepare to do a preliminary plot. The only thing I changed was the
paper
> size, from A4 to A1. The default viewport was created on the current
layer -
> a layer that I had created. Just for the hell of it, I decided to see what
> would happen when a drew a line, in paper space, over the viewport. Lo and
> behold, the line is visible through/over the viewport. Even if I change
the
> layer that the viewport and/or line is on, the line remains visible.
>
> Now, here's the odd bit - the line disappears behind some of the drawing
> elements in model space (eg, a solid hatch). The line is definitely in
paper
> space, as is the viewport (white background), and the rest of the drawing
is
> in model space (black background).
>
> Weird...
>
>
>
>
*robfowler
Message 5 of 7 (142 Views)

Re: Transparent viewport?

12-03-2002 07:35 AM in reply to: *Wally
Make the viewport active in the layout and set SHADEMODE to 2D to make the
viewport transparent.

Rob Fowler.

"Wally" wrote in message
news:05D2D77E8059A0CBB6EA1E4B5081A957@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> How can I make viewports in paperspace transparent? I'd like to put text
and
> lines over the viewports, but the annotations aren't visible on-screen
> unless I select them. However, they are visible when I print. I've tried
> bring the annotations to front, and sending the viewports to back, but
this
> doesn't seem to make any difference, and neither does changing the
z-coords
> of the respective objects.
>
>
*johnosn, dc
Message 6 of 7 (142 Views)

Re: Transparent viewport?

12-03-2002 07:37 AM in reply to: *Wally
try this
go to options>system tab>layout regen options> and check regen when switching
layouts.



--
Dave C. Johnson
WWC Engineering
Sheridan WY.
Windows 2k
Acad Map 5
Survcadd XML
remove OUT to reply
*Wally
Message 7 of 7 (142 Views)

Re:

12-03-2002 05:05 PM in reply to: *Wally
"robfowler" wrote in message

> Make the viewport active in the layout and set SHADEMODE to 2D to make the
> viewport transparent.

Folks,

Thanks for the replies. Rob's solution, above, produces exactly what I'm
looking for. :-)


Wally
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!