AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spell Checking Dimensions

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jrobertg
317 Views, 11 Replies

Spell Checking Dimensions

Is there a setting to allow spell checking of dimension text?
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: jrobertg

Hi Bob,

YES there is! Most people would say no, but I have done it before.

1- Draw a circle (a marker)
2- Explode the dimension
3- Do the spell check
4- Undo back until the circle (#1) is un-drawn. (not erased, un-drawn)

-OR-

1- Save the dwg
2- Explode the dimension (same as above)
3- Do the spell check (same as above)
4- Exit the dwg without a save and re-enter
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Would it not be quicker to just DDEDIT the dim? I'm assuming the OP want sot spellcheck and keep the corrections throughout the file, not just 'check' it on one dim. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Hi Dean,

>> Would it not be quicker to just DDEDIT the dim?<<

Absolutely Dean, IF it worked, but it DON'T. Test it yourself. Draw a bogus dimension, edit it to add text, intentionnally misspell something, then do a spell check on it and it will return the "Spelling check complete" dialog box having never corrected your misspelled word. Now explode that same dimension and again perform the spell check on it and see it offer a number of corrections as you would expect.

I believe most people try that first and when they find it don't work, they look for other ways.

By the way Dean, I am doing my testing in 2002. Newer versions may be able to accomplish this, but of course, I can't say.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

No, not what I meant. I know spellcheck does not work on dimensions :) Your response seems to work on one dimension at a time, it would be quicker to just DDEDIT each dimension and spell the word correctly on your own. I think the OP needs a customized solution beyond what core commands alone can offer. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

I use an mtext editor that has a spell-check built in.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Dean, what's stopping you from drawing the circle, exploding ALL the dimensions at one time, run spell checking & make a note of what's misspelled & then undoing until the circle is gone? Try think outside the box, but be careful, you might not be able to get back in! "Dean Saadallah" wrote in message news:418432a7_2@newsprd01... > No, not what I meant. I know spellcheck does not work on dimensions :) > > Your response seems to work on one dimension at a time, it would be > quicker > to just DDEDIT each dimension and spell the word correctly on your own. > > I think the OP needs a customized solution beyond what core commands alone > can offer. > > -- > Dean Saadallah > Add-on products for LT > http://www.pendean.com/lt > -- > >
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Hi m_o_n,

Good thing I read all the threads before I re-responded to Dean! Thanks for your help and insight.

>>you might not be able to get back in!<< LOL.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

<>

Hesitating only slightly to jump in here, why are you drawing the circle? You do realize don't you, that UNDO has a "place mark" function that will stop an UNDO BACK at that mark. When placing an UNDO MARK, I usually place two, because UNDO BACK un-does the mark.
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

The circle (or whatever one uses) is for a "visual reference" when undoing. I think it's easier than messing with UNDO vs. (u and as many space bar hits as necessary) until the circle disappears.

Personal preference is all.
Message 11 of 12
jrobertg

Thanks to all for the lively discussion. Looks as if this is one of those deficiencies Autodesk may want to address in the future.
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

>>>... make a note of what's misspelled ...<<< Finally, the step I was talking about skipping LOL If you have to take notes, UNDO, then go back and type them in manually to correct, what's the point? Quicker to use OLD-CADaver's tip or have a Thesaurus handy ;) -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report