AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

only want to xref parent drawing

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
218 Views, 7 Replies

only want to xref parent drawing

I was wondering if there is a way to only xref a parent drawing into my file. For example I want to xref a drawing that contains has xrefs but I do not want those xrefs in my drawing, I just want the drawing itself to be xrefed. It sounds a little confusing. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks, MTB
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Detach the other Xrefs after you Xref in the Master. VISRETAIN=1 to keep control. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 3 of 8
murray-clack

If I understand correctly, you are currently in "DRAWING-A", and you want to XREF in "DRAWING-B", but "DRAWING-B" has drawings "C" & "D" attached as well which you don't need.

Here's what to do....

1.Open "DRAWING-B"
2.Enter the XREF command which opens the dialog box (ie XREF Manager)
3.While in the XREF Manager, click on the xref for "DRAWING-C" to make it active
4.Under the TYPE column, double-click on the word ATTACH and it will change to OVERLAY.
5.Do this again for the xref "DRAWING-D"
6.Save "DRAWING-B"
7.Go to "DRAWING-A" and reload the xref "DRAWING-B"

Hope this answers your question. If not, what I explained always makes a good tip.

Murray C
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Look up XREF in the help files and check out the "OVERLAY" feature. "Matthew Bastin" wrote in message news:40214586_1@newsprd01... > I was wondering if there is a way to only xref a parent drawing into my > file. For example I want to xref a drawing that contains has xrefs but I do > not want those xrefs in my drawing, I just want the drawing itself to be > xrefed. It sounds a little confusing. If anyone has any ideas please let me > know. > > Thanks, > > MTB > >
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

changing them to overlays works perfect, thank you MTB "murrayc" wrote in message news:2314224.1075923620116.JavaMail.javamailuser@localhost... > If I understand correctly, you are currently in "DRAWING-A", and you want to XREF in "DRAWING-B", but "DRAWING-B" has drawings "C" & "D" attached as well which you don't need. > > Here's what to do.... > > 1.Open "DRAWING-B" > 2.Enter the XREF command which opens the dialog box (ie XREF Manager) > 3.While in the XREF Manager, click on the xref for "DRAWING-C" to make it active > 4.Under the TYPE column, double-click on the word ATTACH and it will change to OVERLAY. > 5.Do this again for the xref "DRAWING-D" > 6.Save "DRAWING-B" > 7.Go to "DRAWING-A" and reload the xref "DRAWING-B" > > Hope this answers your question. If not, what I explained always makes a good tip. > > Murray C
Message 6 of 8
old-cadaver

If they are nested you can't DETACH them, you can, however, UNLOAD them. In some cases you may not have control over the parent drawing and someone has ATTACHed XREFs instead of OVERLAY. When that happens, use the XREF manager to UNLOAD the undesired files.
Message 7 of 8
trynders

Allways overlay and never attach!
Message 8 of 8
murray-clack

Glad I could help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report