AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intersection of 2 planes

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
436 Views, 5 Replies

intersection of 2 planes

How does one define the intersection/line represented by the intersection of 2 planes such as:
plane 1 (1',0,3'),(1',0,0),(-2',0,0),(-2',0,3')
plane 2 (1',-2',0),(1',0,0),(0,0,0),(0,-2',0)
The planes are unequal in size so intersecting line will be only a part of larger plane

appreciate approach or commands

Thanks in advance

David
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
chrisb
in reply to: Anonymous

Not sure what you're asking. What exactly are you trying to do; what do you mean by `define'? The coordinates you give produce 2 planes that are 90 deg to eachother and share one common edge and one corner (at 1',0,0). their intersection produces a (theoretical) line that's 1' long, and goes from 0,0,0 to 1',0,0. That's its definition in terms of coordinates.
-Chris
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks for the reply and I agree with the line defined by the coordinates for this simple example. What I am trying to get at is a general approach that if I pick say 3 coordinates for a plane 1, then pick 3 other coordinates for plane 2, for ANY 2 planes, what are the coordinates of the intersection. This comes creating 3D models and OSNAP not working with planes or solids

Thanks again in advance.

David
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~gilbert/m102a/node11.html

------------------------------
"fairweather4me" wrote in message
news:f18f820.1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
Thanks for the reply and I agree with the line defined by the coordinates
for this simple example. What I am trying to get at is a general approach
that if I pick say 3 coordinates for a plane 1, then pick 3 other
coordinates for plane 2, for ANY 2 planes, what are the coordinates of the
intersection. This comes creating 3D models and OSNAP not working with
planes or solids
Thanks again in advance.
David
Message 5 of 6
chrisb

For ANY 2 planes at ANY angle to eachother, you can (if you remember all your algebraic functions and symbols, which I don't) try calculating it using the formulas at the site that Ron E. posted. But if you want Autocad to do it, it can be done, but not 1-2-3. You need to have solids, so that it can subtract one from another. If the planes are already solid features, so much the better. Make a copy of the geometry (since you probably don't want to end up with the subtracted solids). If they're already solid, just subtract the smaller one frm the larger one (since, if they're intersecting, obviously one passes through the other at some point - or should I say ALONG SOME LINE). The result will yield an edge that you can query like any other object. If the'yre 2 dimensional planes in 3d space, make them into regions, extrude them some short distance, then subtract them. This is a bit 'round about, but it's probably still faster, and definitely more goof-proof than doing the calculations. Hope this helps.
-Chris
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

If you are interested in making SOLIDS fom surfaces, so please
contact me. I'm working on a project to make the SOLID between a surface and the
plane z=0.

Regards

Jochen

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
How
does one define the intersection/line represented by the intersection of 2
planes such as:
plane 1 (1',0,3'),(1',0,0),(-2',0,0),(-2',0,3')
plane
2 (1',-2',0),(1',0,0),(0,0,0),(0,-2',0)
The planes are unequal in size so
intersecting line will be only a part of larger plane

appreciate approach or commands

Thanks in advance

David

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report