AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert drawing containing Xrefs

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
magic8ball_2k
332 Views, 9 Replies

Insert drawing containing Xrefs

Hi all,

I am trying to create standard sheet layouts to be inserted as blocks. Each sheet layout contains Xrefs to standard details on the network.

The problem is, when I insert the sheet layout into a new file, the Xrefs do not show up. I receive messages stating that the Xrefs are converted to standard blocks, yet these blocks are "empty".

Is there something I'm missing? Please Help!
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: magic8ball_2k

Have you tried using DesignCenter for this? (Don't know if it'll work any better, but maybe worth a shot.) Also, just a suggestion, but perhaps re-think your 'let's use the std detail from the network library idea' - that sounds like the path to project perdition to me. Instead, maybe have a standard folder layout for your projects, one of them being "Details". Then, COPY the std details you need for the project du'jour FROM the Network Library TO that Details folder. Then, just use relative paths for your xrefs, pointing to, ..\Details\DTL_X.dwg, say. Much more standardized system, IMO, AND much less prone to having some nit-wit hose 50 projects in one fell swoop by modifiying a "Standard" detail that should've been left alone. Best regards, David Kozina "magic8ball_2k" wrote in message news:31200606.1099328565062.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hi all, > > I am trying to create standard sheet layouts to be inserted as blocks. > Each sheet layout contains Xrefs to standard details on the network. > > The problem is, when I insert the sheet layout into a new file, the Xrefs > do not show up. I receive messages stating that the Xrefs are converted to > standard blocks, yet these blocks are "empty". > > Is there something I'm missing? Please Help!
Message 3 of 10
teiarch

Dave: Sounds like this poor fellow's bosses want to automate everything so the cadd operators don't have to think. Not a good working environment.

I think I tried this exercise once before I knew better and I think the converted xrefs showw up blank is because of the nature of xrefs and their intended use as a "reference".
Totally agree with your comments about the unwise use of standard details....been there, tried that, learned not to.
Message 4 of 10
teiarch

Magic & Dave: Sounds like this poor fellow's bosses want to automate everything so the cadd operators don't have to think. Not a good working environment.

I think I tried this exercise once before I knew better and I think the converted xrefs showw up blank is because of the nature of xrefs and their intended use as a "reference".
Totally agree with your comments about the unwise use of standard details....been there, tried that, learned not to.
Message 5 of 10

Hi

Thanks for the reply. The hope here was to have the Xref layout in the library only, formatting the detail arrangement on the sheet.

When I insert the sheet layout, I see AutoCAD converting the xref links to actual blocks - this is what I want, specifically to prevent the situation you describe.

The problem is, the block content for each converted xref is blank. Why would AutoCAD attempt to convert xrefs to blocks if all that is created are blank blocks?
Message 6 of 10

Sorry, teiarch, maybe I didn't make myself clear. I don't want the users having a live link to the library content with xrefs. When you insert a drawing containing xrefs, AutoCAD reports that it is converting those xrefs to traditional blocks. This is not a file management issue, but one of AutoCAD functionality.

My library interface actually goes beyond the abilities of Design Center, as I have incorporated a web portal that allows me to preview, search, and apply additional metadata to corresponding drawings in a relational database. It allows us to track revisions and approve content before uploading to the library. We use I-drop technology and Express to view and preview the details before insertion. I have advanced search abilities that DC just doesn't provide. I hope this gives you a better picture of what we are accomplishing here.

What I would like is the ability to have standard sheets in my library link to individual details in my library via Xrefs. Then, as the user inserts those sheets, AutoCAD will convert the xrefs to blocks.

In a perfect world this way gives the best flexibility, as from a management perspective, my library stays perfectly up-to-date with permanent changes to the standard details, and the user gets a static, current version every time a formatted sheet is inserted from the library into the project.

In the real world when I perform the insert, AutoCAD reports the conversions but does not bind the xrefs. All I get is blank blocks where the Xrefs used to be.

I wouldn't consider this path if AutoCAD didn't try converting the Xrefs to blocks upon insert of the drawing sheet. It either should fully convert and bind the xrefs or should not, and not leave me with a bunch of blank block definitions.

Would you agree?
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Prior to AutoCAD 2005, xrefs were, as you've seen, actually not inserted. What you got was the Xref block (which is empty and just holds the name of the xref file) converted to a regular block (although I thought the regular block was supposed to have a text string in it that was the xref path\filename). In AutoCAD 2005 we added the ability for a drawing with xrefs to be inserted and the xrefs are kept as xrefs and are resolved as part of the insert process. "magic8ball_2k" wrote in message news:31200606.1099328565062.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hi all, > > I am trying to create standard sheet layouts to be inserted as blocks. > Each sheet layout contains Xrefs to standard details on the network. > > The problem is, when I insert the sheet layout into a new file, the Xrefs > do not show up. I receive messages stating that the Xrefs are converted to > standard blocks, yet these blocks are "empty". > > Is there something I'm missing? Please Help!
Message 8 of 10

Thanks Art! That was the answer I was looking for!
Message 9 of 10

Art - will 2005 automatically bind those xrefs upon inserting the file, or will I need to write a program to do so?
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

The xrefs stay as xrefs, so if you want to bind them, you'll have to do it. "magic8ball_2k" wrote in message news:208929.1099345428961.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Art - will 2005 automatically bind those xrefs upon inserting the file, or > will I need to write a program to do so?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report