AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inches to decimal feet

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
4527 Views, 3 Replies

Inches to decimal feet

How do I convert feet and inches to decimal feet? For instance I'm trying to get 3-3/8" to look like 0.28'. Or 18-1/2" to look like 1.54'. I'm running a program called QuickSurf which works within Autocad to develop topographic maps and other surface views by using Autocad's points. QuickSurf uses Autocad's polylines to draw the topo lines and uses Autocad's layers, colors, text styles, and units of measurement. I entered my elevation data as 3D points and my unit of measurement was inches. But now I want QuickSurf to draw in the elevation data by each point in decimal feet. Since QuickSurf uses whatever unit of measurement Autocad is currently set to use I just need to know how to get Autocad to use decimal feet instead of inches. When I format my units to decimals Autocad thinks I want feet and decimal inches. This of course does me no good.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

SCALE your drawing up x12, then set units to DECIMAL. Remember to add ' to all your dimensions using the DIMPOST variable. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

In your dimension style, use a "measurement scale factor" of 1/12 (or .08333). This will convert your inch dimension value to feet. Then just add a ' as a suffix. Stephen R. "Eric Meyer" wrote in message news:24844948.1094909513516.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > How do I convert feet and inches to decimal feet? For instance I'm trying to get 3-3/8" to look like 0.28'. Or 18-1/2" to look like 1.54'. I'm running a program called QuickSurf which works within Autocad to develop topographic maps and other surface views by using Autocad's points. QuickSurf uses Autocad's polylines to draw the topo lines and uses Autocad's layers, colors, text styles, and units of measurement. I entered my elevation data as 3D points and my unit of measurement was inches. But now I want QuickSurf to draw in the elevation data by each point in decimal feet. Since QuickSurf uses whatever unit of measurement Autocad is currently set to use I just need to know how to get Autocad to use decimal feet instead of inches. When I format my units to decimals Autocad thinks I want feet and decimal inches. This of course does me no good.
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Sorry about that, I read this as a dimension question, when it is actually a software usage question. Stephen R. "Stephen R" wrote in message news:4145a8d6$1_3@newsprd01... > In your dimension style, use a "measurement scale factor" of 1/12 (or > .08333). This will convert your inch dimension value to feet. Then just > add a ' as a suffix. > > Stephen R. > > > "Eric Meyer" wrote in message > news:24844948.1094909513516.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > How do I convert feet and inches to decimal feet? For instance I'm trying > to get 3-3/8" to look like 0.28'. Or 18-1/2" to look like 1.54'. I'm > running a program called QuickSurf which works within Autocad to develop > topographic maps and other surface views by using Autocad's points. > QuickSurf uses Autocad's polylines to draw the topo lines and uses Autocad's > layers, colors, text styles, and units of measurement. I entered my > elevation data as 3D points and my unit of measurement was inches. But now > I want QuickSurf to draw in the elevation data by each point in decimal > feet. Since QuickSurf uses whatever unit of measurement Autocad is > currently set to use I just need to know how to get Autocad to use decimal > feet instead of inches. When I format my units to decimals Autocad thinks I > want feet and decimal inches. This of course does me no good. > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report