AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21
jeph
490 Views, 20 Replies

extrude taper

am i required to specify a length or can i jusat input the angle of taper and have it come to a point??

i don't really like doing trig to find out how far i should extrude the object...
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
madcadd
in reply to: jeph

Hi jeff,

From 1971 to 1986, I used trig everyday. (back in my manual drafting days) Now I only use it occasionally to double-check some things. Ever since we started CAD, I've been letting the computer do the work of figuring out the math. And since it does a pretty good job, I have practically forgotten how to do trig. For sure I forgot how to spell it.

So to your question, no you do not have to do the math, but you still have to know something, ie; the base diameter and height and it'll do the rest.

Play around with the solid cone a bit. You'll get the hang of it.

P.S. If you know the base diameter and the the taper angle, just draw it in 2D to find the height, then do the cone command.
Message 3 of 21
jeph

what if i have a strange object

for example, suppose i am modeling an electrical outlet. Look at one.
you see the taper going into the socket?? it's a funky shape, i'm just wondering how to make it extrude just far enough to converge.
Message 4 of 21
old-cadaver

For that, I'd use SLICE or CHAMFER.

But more to the point, are you detailing the outlet for a manufacturer or just doing one for a room layout?

If the former, you'll need precise dimensions to get the tapers correct. If the latter, that's wayyy too much detail.
Message 5 of 21
jeph

well, i've been using a 1/64th inch caliper to dimension the outlet, then modeling it in acad to make a installation detail drawing.

all measurements are precise and complete

i could quickly render a shot and attach?
Message 6 of 21
old-cadaver

Cool, no need to send a shot, I was just checking. I've had guys model the threads on bolts in structures that were 400' long. Never gonna see the bolt, much less the threads.

Anyway

I'd use SLICE to make the sloped sides of the slot. The outlet I'm looking at has 2 different slopes. The one at either "end of the slot is more abrupt that the slope to the "sides" of the slot.
Message 7 of 21
jeph

yeah, i see what you're talking about..

i didn't even think of using slice and just selecting points i've dimensioned.

good 'ol calipers
Message 8 of 21
madcadd

Hi jeff,

> what if i have a strange object
for example, suppose i am modeling an electrical outlet. Look at one.
you see the taper going into the socket??<

Don't try to extrude something like that, but rather build separate pieces and subtract them from your outlet plate. When something gets too complicated, use as many pieces as needed to get what you want. Substract here, union there and (save the pieces so you can re-create when and if necessary.) When is it necessary? When you don't save the pieces of course!!!

Realize too that the slice command will slice along the entire part and you will have to piece things back together and re-union.

Experiment and have fun learning. It's fun! Good luck.
Message 9 of 21
jeph

oh i have definetly done very fun things like this before.
go IDEA drafting state finals!!
Message 10 of 21
jeph

how do i slice with four points though

i have a 3dpoly, should i just extrude and subtract? because slice only works with 3 points, not four... no 3dpoly select either

also, the curve on the outside of the smaller prong (sorry for the lack of technical decription) might be difficult
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous

Go ahead and post that pic or a link to a pic. I'm not sure what it looks
like.
Message 12 of 21
jeph

im just gonna attach the dwg

i'm trying to slice along my 3dpolies
Message 13 of 21
old-cadaver

It only takes 3 points to define a plane which will be sufficient for 3 sides of the socket depression. The curved side would be considered a "loft", and is currently not possible with R2002 OOTB. You could use a mesh there, then find the lisp routine M2S.LSP to convert the mesh to a solid, but that would only provide an approximation of the solid. That would probably be close enough.
Message 14 of 21
jeph

figured out slice, thanks.

i think i could pull that off through a mesh... I'm not sure how to create meshes or any other way to make that curve.

explain this "loft" business

meshes to solids through a lisp? sounds good to me
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous

>explain this "loft" business
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
esp Tutorial 7.

Can't do lofts with AutoCAD but with painful effort bordering on torture you can do something close with 3dmesh. Check the help files.
Message 16 of 21
old-cadaver

> but with painful effort bordering on torture you can do something close with 3dmesh

Posting such distortions helps no one.

LOFTs are basically "blended" curved surfaces. See here http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=3802 for some discussion on airfoil lofts and a couple of lisp routines.

The "LOFT" you're working with here is extremely primative, consisting of a curve transitioning into a plane as defined by 3 lines and an arc. See attached.

Draw the lines defining the 3 edgs and the arc for the curved edge. Then use EDGESURF to create the mesh by selecting the lines and arc. Pretty basic autocad, been there for 15 years.
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous

"LOFTs are basically "blended" curved surfaces."

A loft can consist of curved and/or straight segments.

--
Robert Davis
QC/CMM Dept.
robert@easmfg.com

E.A.S. Manufacturing Co., Inc.
804 Via Alondra
Camarillo, Ca 93012
805-987-3665 Voice
805-987-7948 Fax
eas@easmfg.com - General E-Mail
www.easmfg.com - Web Site

wrote in message news:4895759@discussion.autodesk.com...
> but with painful effort bordering on torture you can do something close
> with 3dmesh

Posting such distortions helps no one.

LOFTs are basically "blended" curved surfaces. See here
http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=3802 for some discussion on
airfoil lofts and a couple of lisp routines.

The "LOFT" you're working with here is extremely primative, consisting of a
curve transitioning into a plane as defined by 3 lines and an arc. See
attached.

Draw the lines defining t
he 3 edgs and the arc for the curved edge. Then use EDGESURF to create the
mesh by selecting the lines and arc. Pretty basic autocad, been there for
15 years.
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous

The upper outlet is created using ACAD surfaces and regions. You should be able to reverse engineer how it was modeled by turning off layers.
The lower outlet is a solid that can be easily edited. For example, if you want the horizontal prong draw a rectangle, extude and subtract.
Message 19 of 21
Anonymous

>The "LOFT" you're working with here is extremely primative, consisting of a curve transitioning into a plane as defined by 3 lines and an arc. See attached.

What happened to the horizontal prong rectangle in the original problem? Seems to me you have altered the problem to make it primitive.

>Draw the lines defining the 3 edgs and the arc for the curved edge. Then use EDGESURF to create the mesh by selecting the lines and arc.

Show me how to get that slot in the mesh you posted.

>Pretty basic autocad...
Show me.
Message 20 of 21
old-cadaver

The horizontal slot would require 3 primitive surfaces.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report