AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dim. style overide problem

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
jeffboo7
710 Views, 12 Replies

dim. style overide problem

hi i set my dim style to my correct style and 5 minutes llater the overides set itself to current
thanks jeff
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
MikeRua
in reply to: jeffboo7

it apears as though Autocad are not intereted in your problem mate.

Message 3 of 13
pendean
in reply to: MikeRua

There is no "problem", that's a user triggered function: Overrides appear if you change any dim variable set in your DIMSTYLE.

Most likely the original post user found that out 8 years ago, and now you know it as well. Post back if you need help deciphering which dim variables are being changed outside the DIMSTYLE command.

Message 4 of 13
MikeRua
in reply to: pendean

You talk as though Im a fool - its not a user triger mate, If you dimension within a viewport or outside the dimension should remain fixed...it does so in all other packages other than Autocad...I have been a user scince early 80's.

The idea is to have it locked so in the event you want another dimension style you will creat a new one - not automaticly.

Proove me wrong.

Message 5 of 13
Modman_4

Actually Mike I am sure Dean meant no harm. The question was only why would you responding to an 8 year old post?

I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! 🙂
Message 6 of 13
MikeRua
in reply to: Modman_4

Then he should check his tone in the response.

The reson why I picked up on the question that the last mailler had posted was via google, Ive had enough of the Dimension varible jumping to and overide when you move in and out of the diffrent spaces.

I dont have the problem even in the Chinease copy package ZWCAD. or other Cad packages.

Ive posted this question to Autodesk on a few occasions and had no response.

Message 7 of 13
pendean

There was no tone in my writing, you're the one with 'tone' my friend:

"... Autocad are not intereted in your problem mate..."

Uou seemed perplexed (and with a very old post) and I explained it. Reason you don't get many replies to it is as I stated, you control whether it happens or not.

Do you need help deciphering which ones are being triggered? Best way is to set it, then watch it as you draft to find the trigger you use often (could be a dimunits setting change, another variable liek dimpost, could be a leader setting change, could be many things). If it changes as you jump between layouts or 'spaces' you may have something else running resetting it for you.

Or do you need help writing a simple Lisp to reset to your default dimstyle everytime you click on a button or launch a command: explain and anyone here can jump in and help. Command is -DIMSTYLE (note the dash) then RESTORE if you are able to tackle it on your own.

Message 8 of 13
MikeRua

Firstly no-one answered his Question for how long? - one assumes he found the Answer ? are Autocad not interested in his questions or anyone else. Or there no answers.!

Secondly - the Dimstyle changes by it self and tags a New Overide to the Dimstyle you are busy with without the instruction of the user...see attached image - note the Tagged Linea and Leader to the Style AM_ISO, that my friend was created by Autcad and not by Myself.

I know how to reset / write lisp....but why is it doing it is the Question of which you do not have an answer.

And to state that Autocad are not interested in my Problems is childish to say the least. I am a long time User and Teacher of Autocad - I am also a purchaser for my company, why would I complain about this - it was an answer to the question of a fellow user and you attcked me, if you felt offened by my initial comments then you should have answered his question originally, and to be part of a user group with that type of agression I think you must rethink what you said.

Goodby.

Message 9 of 13
pendean

"...Autocad are not interested in my Problems is childish to say the least.." You wrote that in your reply, not I. How is this now my statement? Interesting twist.

"...a long time User and Teacher of Autocad..."

Wonderful, but then aren't we all around here and most of us are still learning new tricks and old habits to give up.

I cannot repeat your screenshot entries to my DIMSTYLE no matter how hard I try: are you using plain AutoCAD or a vertical version (can be turned off in AEC dimensioning in verticals)? Care to share a DWG for someone to try?

Your overrides are neatly labelled and identified: that's no a plain AutoCAD feature, overrides look like my posted screenshot in Plain AutoCAD. Got an add-on perhaps?

This is peer support, always has been: there is no pressure on anyone to answer any questions at all.

Post back with more details.

Message 10 of 13
MikeRua

If Autocad where interested the Question posted by the person would have been answered when he posted (how many years ago you say?) - RIGHT ? theres your twist.

No we all learn...the point here is the problem if you noted started years/Versions ago, see the original poster Topic "2000" I dont think you read from the begining.

The problem happens in all dwgs not any perticular one so its not a DWG related, it happens when changing Spaces (Paper to Model of so on).

It is not in just plain Auotcad it happens also in MEP, Civil 3d (in this case 2010), Inventor....its and Autocad thing believe me.

The reason I did a search on the subject is one of my old students has brought this up once again (I just work around it) he and fellow users har getting anoyed with it (useing 2009 plain).

Where do you switch it off if that is posible, I want to be able to lock that Dimension style so that it dont allow these to add on.

Believe me please when I say it is automaticly created names that get tagged to the dim style, Im not writing this for fun.

In your screen shot you have an overide Tagged - I dont understand why you say it dont do it for you ?????

Message 11 of 13
pendean

Here is the deal:

- Look at my screenshot: the style override was created because I changed a dim variable. AutoCAD automatically adds an override and it assigns a generic name to it (as shown in my screenshot).

- Your screenshot you have TWO overrides and each was named something very specific. Plain AutoCAD out-of-the-box does NOT do that ever. EVER. when a new override is created is replaces the one before it but it keeps the generic name. You have something else running, an add-on or a customzation.

- AutoCAD out-of-the-box does NOT change dimstyle settings or create overrides by just change paper or modelspace, never has and still does not in R2011. You have an add-on Reactor installed and running that is doing this, something unique to your setup. Find it and turn it off if that is possible.

- Overrides happen when a dim variable is changed. There is NO way to turn that off, you can just restore it with customizations. Nothing has changed yet in AutoCAD. Learn what triggers it. Teach both to your students.

- When/if it this wishlist item becomes an ability in the future, we can all upgrade to it.

Happy cadding.

Message 12 of 13
MikeRua

I pointed out it is not only my machine its on numerous cad stations, on different levels of Acad, its not only me that has this problem and no not everone is useing my machine.

The 2 Automaticly Asigned just because I chose to creat a Dim Leader in a View space and the Other was when I was in the Paper space area.

If it was just my machine I would agree with you that it might be somthing running in the background

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 13 of 13
canad69

On behalf of everyone who has read your posts and been the benefit of your knowledge and expertise, please accept our apologies for the way you were spoken to you.

Thanks for the many solutions I have found so far!

You guys are life savers!!!

Evan

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report