AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command In Progress

34 REPLIES 34
Message 1 of 35
n.almeida
31695 Views, 34 Replies

Command In Progress

A re-occurring problem that is happening in one of our projects is that (apparently) out of no where AutoCAD does not allow to save because of a command in progress (see attachment). We could not find any other way but copying everything to another drawing and close AutoCAD. This of course brings a lot of trouble with xrefs that need to be erased and reattached.
Any ideas?
Thanks, n__o
34 REPLIES 34
Message 21 of 35
mfretwell
in reply to: n.almeida

Guess what...
AutoCAD Map 3D 2009 SP1 has the same problem. Can not use SAVE because I get the following error:
"One or more objects in this drawing cannot be saved to the specified format. The operation was not completed and no file was created."

Excellent 😕 So what format would that be, "dwg" perhaps?

So here i sit trying to figure out how to save the drawing I am working on, since neither QSAVE, SAVEAS, nor SAVE work. Guess I'll just wait....for a fix from Autocad, oh hold on this thread started with Autocad 2000 and I'm using 2009. I'd better go for lunch while I'm waiting. 🙂
Message 22 of 35
jcojem

I'm using Autocad LT 2009, version C.608.0 (UNICODE)

I get the following error:
Document "K:\3-1932-3\cad\TPH Cross Sections and Contours\Suburban Norwich Site
map.dwg" has a command in progress.

after I have opened and edited an excel table (pasted into a CAD layer). When this happens, I cannot save, save-as, or qsave (using control-s, the file pull-down menu, or the command line). I also cannot close the program. The only way out that I have found is to end the process using the task manager.

Any thoughts?

-Jeremy

PS: I think I'll join mfretwell at lunch............ Edited by: jcojem on Jun 5, 2009 2:08 PM
Message 23 of 35
paul.quest

Can you do me a favor and turn off autosave? I just ran into this problem for the very first time. Ever since I turned off autosave, the problem hasn't come back (yet). I'm just trying to narrow this problem and see if autosave could possibly be responsible. I would appreciate it if you could post your results
Message 24 of 35
Elizar

what was i did is.. copied all the object from "Command In Progress" then paste into new autocad2008, your project is already saved!
Message 25 of 35
muppett27

I had to turn off Autosave as my drawing was taking 5 mins to autosave (large drawing) and I still get the 3D orbit/command in progress problem. I usually just close and when it asks "Do you want to save your changes" I click yes. Hassle to reload it, but nothing lost. I use 2004.
Message 26 of 35
tskelle

Typing "Save" worked for me too. Thanks a lot.
Message 27 of 35
jbledsoe

I am running Civil 3D 08 ... typing "save" in the command line worked for me. Glad to know it was that simple.
Message 28 of 35
petts5354
in reply to: mfretwell

I have looked through most of this thread (going back to 2005) and I only see questions and solutions about saving the drawing when the "command in progress" error? occurs. However this error? will also prevent plotting. Typing save to save the drawing then closing and re-opening the drawing works, but I would think that AutoDESK could have found time over the past 5 years to fix this. It's pretty annoying. Maybe they will just document it and call it a feature!

Anyway I just wanted to put it out there that plot also doesn't work when the mystery command is not finished. BTW typing plot at the command line does not work.

It's 106 miles to Chicago
we got a full tank of gas
half a pack of cigarettes
it's dark
and we're wearing sunglasses.........Hit it!
Message 29 of 35
superslinky

Not to mention the fact that this site is amongst the slowest sites ever only maybe comparable to MySpace who has over 200 million users and every time I have an "issue" or I should say every time AutoCAD or Inventor has issues that I need to look up, it wastes a ton of my time. 5 years???? Really Autodesk?

In some way shape or form, I'm always on this site losing my mind.

If your product wasn't the only one available 15 years ago it wouldn't be used at all today!!!

Message 30 of 35
emizer
in reply to: petts5354

Hi there. Just wanted to add my $.02

Using AutoCAD 2009 Mechanical. Have been having the same problem. There is no 3D orbit command running. Nothing running in other files open, etc. I can "X" out of the drawing. And then click "save". But that takes too long and shouldn't be necessary.

What I have found is that this happans everytime I go to modify (delete , modify, edit, etc) annotative scaled dimensions or text using the properties dialog box. Happens like clock work. So... YES I can get recreate error!

So, leave that box closed unless you NEED it.

I hope it helps..

Eric

Message 31 of 35
vewright

Another 2 cents--

I have just encountered this problem, with AutoCAD 2011. I couldn't save a drawing, plot it, or use plot preview from the quick access menu bar. I attributed the problem to 3D commands--mesh editing, etc.--but had no real reason to do so. Although I couldn't save or plot, I could execute other commands. Following an earlier reply, I entered Save at the command line, successfully saved the drawing under another name, opened that drawing, which I could then plot.

Message 32 of 35
ice_a

Got the same message "...nit save because...not in soecified format...", but i'm jst data referencing surfaces!...has anybody solved ths problem?
Message 33 of 35
alexmoretto
in reply to: vewright

Hi Guys

Here we were facing the same problem and one of the guys that work here and he came with the following solution:

When starts the AutoCad open a file and on the comand line type "filedia" and then type the value "1". That totally solved our problems.

att,

Alex

Message 34 of 35
millermccoy
in reply to: alexmoretto

any solution yet?

in 2013 here... and I can't enter any commands

2015 Civil 3D
Message 35 of 35
ivaylo.yotsov
in reply to: millermccoy

In this case I use a command "saveall" and after that close the drawing and open it again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report