AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I run AutoCAD 2000 on Windows 7

44 REPLIES 44
SOLVED
Message 1 of 45
jdoverman
150635 Views, 44 Replies

Can I run AutoCAD 2000 on Windows 7

Hi all,
I am new to this discussion group and need help.
I am still using my AutoCAD 2000.
I just upgraded to a new computer with Windows 7.
Is there a workaround. Can I change the compatability settings to get AutoCAD 2000 to work?

Thank you,

Jeff
44 REPLIES 44
Message 21 of 45
isaac
in reply to: jdoverman

We're using LDD3 on Windows 7 32-bit via the virtual Windows XP download.  However, our plotter won't work.  We've installed the plotter in Windows 7 and can print to it from other programs but can't print from LDD3.  We've tried using the Plotter Manager and add-a-plotter wizard, but it doesn't see the plotter.  Anybody else having plotter problems like this and/or know of a fix?  Thanks.

Message 22 of 45
microse
in reply to: isaac

When I updated os to windows 7 professional  32 bit I had no problem installing and running Autocad2000LT but could not print.When tried to select connected printesr Canon MP190 and HP D1560 " Menory allaocation error-Drivers not found etc etc". All other programs print with no problems.  Reading other peoples similar problems it seems this is a common problem. Is there a simple solution?

Mike

Message 23 of 45
bgochoel

Re: Can I run AutoCAD 2000 on Windows 7 64-bit

Message 24 of 45
durielk

I have W7 64 bit, ACAD 2000 will run in virtual mode, but that is a special download from microsoft.  It creates another virtual OS on your computer.  It is a pain to work on that computer as when you look at the hard drive to find files, etc. when your in not in the V OS, you can't see them from w7.

From the other posts it appears that if you have W7 32bit, it should work with out this go-around. 

Message 25 of 45
durielk

On the printing issue, I have the same problem, but....

I just print pdf's, full size then send them to the printer from the desktop.  It is not really a problem and you can look at them before they plot to check how they look or for some error or something. 

Also, you can have them on your computer or netbook and just open them up any time!

Message 26 of 45
popsgolf58

Hey Jeff!!!   (or anyone out there) 🙂

I noticed your post regarding running AutoCad 2000 on WIndows7 was back in 2009. Well here it is 11/22/2011 and I am just now moving up to the 21st century LOL I have been using AutoCad 2000 on Windows 2000 and than XP and now have upgraded to Windows7 Ultimate. Would you be able to go thru the compatibility scenario to be able to run AutCad2000 on Windows7 and yes very interested on the plotter drivers for the HP 750c. Thanks in advance and have a Happy and Joyess Thanksgiving!!!

Message 27 of 45
bodenimus
in reply to: popsgolf58

I never could get my AutoCad to run using Windows 7 so I just used another computer with Windows XP just to use AutoCad 2000. I read about all kinds of ways around the issue, all of which were more trouble than it was worth. It was a lot cheaper and easier to  just use another computer and completely bypass Windows 7. I use a KVM switch to  change from one computer to  the other which allows me to use the same keyboard and monitor and mouse, with two different computers. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help but this was the simplest solution for me.

Message 28 of 45
DarrenP
in reply to: bodenimus

think about how old autocad 2000 is

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 29 of 45
popsgolf58

OK here's the latest on running AutoCad2000 on WIndows7. I was surprised no one else hit on the fact that AutoCad2000 is a 32 bit application. As I mentioned earlier I upgraded to Windows7 Ultimate and what do you know it gave me the option to install as a 32bit operating system. All being said AutoCad2000 is working just fine,

If you buy a new desktop/laptop it will most likely come with Windows7 64 bit. If you buy Windows7 retail you will have the option to install either 32 or 64 bit.   Hope this helps.

Message 30 of 45
ivanbulaich

Good Afternoon JDOverman,

Here I've been trying to get Autocad 2000LT working on my new computer with Windows 7 32 bit for 4 days now, and no luck. So I'm communicating with two guys on the Autocad 2000LT forum who are really trying to help, when they recommend looking through the Autocad 2000 forum posts. So I look through every post until I come upon yours. I follow you directions and shazam everything is working and I am able to print with no "memory allocation errors"!!!!!!!!

It is amazing how much negative misinformation I have received from people on this problem, Autocad 2000LT is not supported, there are no fixes, the printer drivers are not functional with Windows 7 and Autocad 2000LT,  it is not compatible with Windows 7, etc........, and then I find your post.

And even more amazing you find a way to run Autocad 2000 on Windows 7 64 bit, which everyone told me was impossible. I would have purchased a 64 bit computer in a minute if I had known it would operate Autocad 2000LT.

The power of perservance and ingenuity!!!!!!

Just wanted to Thank You for your effort it stopped me from the insanity of frustration.

Wishing You the Very Best in the New Year!!!!!!!

Very Best Regards,

Ivan

Message 31 of 45
drinderer

if anyone cares I had loaded acad 2000 by pulling it across a network to my folders on my new win7 machine, and had problems with the dim commands not working. 

I found this...

http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2004/01/load_arx_files_.html

and I made a file that loaded every arx file I could find, and everything started working agian.

Dan

Message 32 of 45
dave63118

I wanted to know if my AutoCAD 2000i LT would work on Windoes 7 64 Bit OS, so I turned on the Compatability mode on Windows 7, installed the software, the only thing that does not work is the "Today" Software that came with 2000i LT otherwise it works just fine.

dave63118@hotmail.com

Message 33 of 45
dave63118

Jeff, un install your autocad 2000 from your windows 7 OS, then turn on the compatibility mode, re-install your software, open AutoCAD, go to Tools/Options/System/ (Under General Options, use the drop down menu and click (Do not show a start up dialog) then click apply and re-start the programe.

This allowed me Full Function of AutoCAD 2000i LT.

Good Luck!

Message 34 of 45
mountainalps

I want 'AUTOCAD 2000 single user license' to get working
on my newly PC with Windwos 7 x64.
The installation under 'Windows XP mode - Virtual PC' was not
the key problem problem at all (i.e. setup.exe is running),
but the App fails to start running.

The key problem is rather, that during startup, the program is
checking the Sentinel-Dongle installed at the printer parallel port.
Although I have the dongle properly plugged to LPT1, it obviously
is not recognized.
Meanwhile I've learnt, that 'XPM-VM' is not supporting the parallel port,
but in no case, 'Autocad 200' would install under the host W7x64.

So I'm wonderung about the 'heurekas' of most of the other guys
in this discussion, who claim a successful installation
of Autocad 2000 on their Windows 7 PC.

Any helpful comment is greatly appreciated.

Message 35 of 45
sandyduck

I did the same, after buying a new Window 7 machine, upgrading to Professional, etc. etc. and giving up (I returned the computer for a refund at a small discount).   Going with the switcher works really well and is actually pretty cool!

Message 36 of 45
sandyduck
in reply to: DarrenP

What's your point?   My AutoCAD 2000 works well and does everything I need it to in 2D,  especially with all my custom LISP programming.   Why spend $4000 to get something that will take days to get everything running right again (like I had to do with the other couple upgrades I did YEARS ago!)?

Message 37 of 45
mountainalps
in reply to: drinderer

I cannot see the message in this piece of contribution.
How did You get the Sentinel-Dongle working in W7?

Message 38 of 45
tsiddik

I use windows 7 32 bit.Does it complatiable for autocad 2000.If yes,Please could anybody give free download link.

Message 39 of 45
ivanbulaich
in reply to: tsiddik

Good Morning tsiddik,

Had the same problem before, but I followed instructions from jdoverman's original post on 11-10-2009.

Here is jdoverman's post and the directions on how I made it work. JDoverman got Autocad 2000 working on a Windows 7 64 bit system which everybody told me was not possible.

Re: Can I run AutoCAD 2000 on Windows 7
11-10-2009 11:16 AM in reply to: jdoverman
Information to help you load and run AutoCAD 2000 on your Windows 7 (64bit) system.
I had to upgrade from Windows 7 Home edition to Windows & professional ($90.00)
Then I downloded Windows virtual PC and Windows XP Mode (free download). The Windows XP Mode runs in the background (in its own window). I loaded AutoCAD 2000 Architectural Desktop from my software CD. As I was doing this I had to go to the program compatibility (start-programs-accessories-program compatibility - pick 'from C D drive') I changed the compatibility to windows 98/ me.
I was glad to have found this so I don't have to spend $1000 to $5000 to upgrade AitoCAD.
Also I have a driver that lets me run my HP 750c+ plotter on Windows 7 - 64bit if you need that.

So  I followed his directions:
     1. My system is Windows 7 Professional so I did not upgrade.
     2. Downloaded Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode (free download). You can find this on the Microsoft website with a search on their site.
     3. Removed and reinstalled Autocad 2000LT.
     4. Restarted my system.
     5. Right clicked on the Autocad 2000LT desktop icon.
     6. Clicked on properties.
     7. Clicked on the compatability tab.
     8. Checked the box for: "Run this program in compability mode for:"
     9. Chose, Windows XP(Service Pack 3)
    10. Clicked apply and OK.
     11. Opened Autocad 2000LT, drew a drawing and IT PRINTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YIP YIP HURRAH!!!!!!!!
     Amazingly I did not download the, plotupdate.exe that Autocad recommends, this time and all my HP printers are working.
     And even more amazingly this person, jdoverman, is running Autocad 2000 on Windows 7, Pro, 64 Bit, which everyone told me was impossible! I would have bought a 64 bit computer in a minute if I knew it would have allowed Autocad to operate.

Good Luck on your install.
Message 40 of 45

Can I run AutoCAD Lt 2000 on Windows 7?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report