ASE, SQL, OLE, ADE

ASE, SQL, OLE, ADE

Active Contributor
GuitarLover
Message 1 of 3 (466 Views)

McFarlane 'Database Connectivity' still useful?

466 Views, 2 Replies
06-09-2011 06:09 PM

Hi,

Our company does electrical Power and Distribution projects.

I have a copy of McFarlane's "AutoCAD Database Connectivity?". I have heard somewhere that CAO, which the book uses with VBA, is dated.

* Can this book be used with AutoCAD 2008?
    * Does 2008 support CAO?

If I can't use this book, what other learning method, providing a similar outcome, can be used?

How about Fleming's ADOLisp? This may be a better choice for me since I am not as versed in VBA as in AutoLISP. Are there any tutorials for ADOLisp?

I appreciate your help.

Chris

*Expert Elite*
norman.yuan
Message 2 of 3 (453 Views)

Re: McFarlane 'Database Connectivity' still useful?

06-20-2011 10:04 AM in reply to: GuitarLover

If you stick with 32-bit AutoCAD, you probably can use the material in that book up to AutoCAD2012. VBA is likely gone after Acad2012.

Also, if you move to 64-bit AutoCAD, you not only face database driver issue (if the connectivity involves ODBC/Jet DB), but also severedown turn of VBA code execution. Considering the death of VBA in AutoCAD, it may not be worth much effort in Acad VBA any more (even you are using Acad2008 now. Unless you are determined to stick with pre Acad2012 32-bit for long enough future).

I am not familiar to ADOLisp. But if the the connection to database is via ODBC/JET DB, there is still DB driver issue if you use 64-bit AutoCAD.

Active Contributor
GuitarLover
Message 3 of 3 (453 Views)

Re: McFarlane 'Database Connectivity' still useful?

06-20-2011 11:15 AM in reply to: norman.yuan

Thank you for your input, Norman. I will keep this in mind.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.