ASE, SQL, OLE, ADE

Reply
*amy
Message 1 of 9 (80 Views)

Dbconnect:

80 Views, 8 Replies
10-27-1999 03:55 PM
hi all:

1) What is "Persist Security Info" mean? Why is the default set to false?

2) Some PC listed the following driver:
Microsoft Jet 3.51 OLE DB
but my only listed
Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE DB

so, where and how can I get the 3.51 ole db driver?

thanks
*amy
Message 2 of 9 (80 Views)

Re: Dbconnect:

10-27-1999 05:31 PM in reply to: *amy
hi all:

1) What is "Persist Security Info" mean? Why is the default set to false?

2) Some PC listed the following drivers:
Microsoft Jet 3.51 OLE DB
Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE DB

but my only listed
Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE DB

so, where and how can I get the 3.51 ole db driver?

thanks
*Fleming, Jon
Message 3 of 9 (80 Views)

Re: Dbconnect:

10-28-1999 04:30 AM in reply to: *amy
In article <7v8oa0$l9f15@adesknews2.autodesk.com>, Amy wrote:
> What is "Persist Security Info" mean? Why is the default set to false?

Darned if I know.

> Some PC listed the following driver:
> Microsoft Jet 3.51 OLE DB
> but my only listed
> Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE DB

Probably you have Access 2000 installed and the other machines have (or had) an earlier
version of Access installed.

Why do you want the 3.51 driver? The purpose of dbConnect is to insulate you from such
petty details. You do still have to think of some petty details (see below) but mostly
it's not bad.

If you are having troubles connecting with the 4.0 driver, try editing the UDL file (with
a text editor such as Notepad). You will find the file in the "data sources"
subdirectory of your main AutoCAD directory. It will look something like this:

[oledb]
; Everything after this line is an OLE DB initstring
Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\MyApp\mydb.mdb;Persist Security
Info=False

and you should change it to:

[oledb]
; Everything after this line is an OLE DB initstring
Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Persist Security Info=;Data Source=C:\MyApp\mydb.mdb

That said, if you _really_ want the 3.51 driver, you can try downloading the latest MDAC
from http://www.microsoft.com/data and installing it. I am not sure that the 3.51 drier
is included, but it might be.

jrf
Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program
*amy
Message 4 of 9 (80 Views)

Re:

10-28-1999 04:30 AM in reply to: *amy
Joe/Fletcher:
Thank you:

>Probably you have Access 2000 installed and the other machines have (or
had) an earlier
>version of Access installed.
oh Yes, the PC listed Jet 3.51 and 4.0 does have the VB5 and VB6
but my doesn't....

I will post the result after installing the VB5 and VB6.

amy

Jon Fleming wrote in message ...
>In article <7v8oa0$l9f15@adesknews2.autodesk.com>, Amy wrote:
>> What is "Persist Security Info" mean? Why is the default set to false?
>
>Darned if I know.
>
>> Some PC listed the following driver:
>> Microsoft Jet 3.51 OLE DB
>> but my only listed
>> Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE DB
>
>Probably you have Access 2000 installed and the other machines have (or
had) an earlier
>version of Access installed.
>
>Why do you want the 3.51 driver? The purpose of dbConnect is to insulate
you from such
>petty details. You do still have to think of some petty details (see
below) but mostly
>it's not bad.
>
>If you are having troubles connecting with the 4.0 driver, try editing the
UDL file (with
>a text editor such as Notepad). You will find the file in the "data
sources"
>subdirectory of your main AutoCAD directory. It will look something like
this:
>
>[oledb]
>; Everything after this line is an OLE DB initstring
>Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\MyApp\mydb.mdb;Persist
Security
>Info=False
>
>and you should change it to:
>
>[oledb]
>; Everything after this line is an OLE DB initstring
>Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Persist Security Info=;Data
Source=C:\MyApp\mydb.mdb
>
>That said, if you _really_ want the 3.51 driver, you can try downloading
the latest MDAC
>from http://www.microsoft.com/data and installing it. I am not sure that
the 3.51 drier
>is included, but it might be.
>
>jrf
>Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program
>
>
>
*Support, Fletcher Clover - Autodesk GIS
Message 5 of 9 (80 Views)

Re:

10-28-1999 07:13 AM in reply to: *amy
Hi Amy,

You can get the version of OLE-DB that you need on the AutoCAD install CD.
In Windows Explorer, browse to the Data directory, and double-click on
Mdac_typ.exe to open and install the MDAC componant, which houses OLE-DB.

Good luck,

Fletcher

amy wrote in message <7v8ttj$l9u17@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...
>hi all:
>
>1) What is "Persist Security Info" mean? Why is the default set to false?
>
>2) Some PC listed the following drivers:
> Microsoft Jet 3.51 OLE DB
> Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE DB
>
>
>but my only listed
> Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE DB
>
>so, where and how can I get the 3.51 ole db driver?
>
>thanks
>
>
>
*J, Mark
Message 6 of 9 (80 Views)

Re:

10-28-1999 03:58 PM in reply to: *amy
The latest version on MDAC loads ONLY 4.0.
I can't seem to find 3.51 anywhere.
Maybe I should check our old MSOffice CD.
I'd like to be able to use 3.51 because many computers at our company
already have that driver installed.
Installing 4.0 with my VB program took 2 reboots and I had to have
administrator rights.
What a pain.

I still get "ADO provider not found" messages.
I've tried using 3.51 and 4.0 as the "Provider".
Still get errors.
Went back to standard Data Control. :smileymad:

jonf@fleming-group.com (Jon Fleming) wrote in
>
>That said, if you _really_ want the 3.51 driver, you can try downloading
>the latest MDAC from http://www.microsoft.com/data and installing it. I
>am not sure that the 3.51 drier is included, but it might be.

>jrf
>Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program
*Fleming, Jon
Message 7 of 9 (80 Views)

Re:

10-29-1999 04:24 AM in reply to: *amy
I like to use ODBC type connections myself. They're a little slower, but
you'll probably never notice the difference. They work on systems that
don't have Access installed, and work with databases that were saved by a
different version of Access than the one that's installed. And, with
dbConnect, you don't need to create an ODBC connection in Windows Control
Panel.

Create a new data source. Pick "Microsoft OLE DB provider for ODBC
drivers". Pick "Next". Pick the "Use connection string" radio button.
Pick the "Build..." button. Pick the "New..." button. Pick "Microsoft
Access driver (*.mdb)". Pick "Next". Fill in a name and pick "Finish".
Pick the "Select..." button and select your database. Now pick the name
you just typed in the list of data sources and pick "OK". Pick "OK" again.
Now follow your nose from there.

jrf
Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

Mark J wrote:
> The latest version on MDAC loads ONLY 4.0.
> I can't seem to find 3.51 anywhere.
> Maybe I should check our old MSOffice CD.
> I'd like to be able to use 3.51 because many computers at our company
> already have that driver installed.
> Installing 4.0 with my VB program took 2 reboots and I had to have
> administrator rights.
> What a pain.
>
> I still get "ADO provider not found" messages.
> I've tried using 3.51 and 4.0 as the "Provider".
> Still get errors.
> Went back to standard Data Control. :smileymad:
>
>
*J, Mark
Message 8 of 9 (80 Views)

Re:

11-01-1999 03:11 PM in reply to: *amy
Jon,
I'm missing something.

>Create a new data source.
I've created an Access database. ("something.mdb")

Where do I find these options to Pick?
Should I create a data control?
If so what flavor?

>Pick "Microsoft OLE DB provider for ODBC drivers".
>Pick "Next".
>Pick the "Use connection string" radio button.
>Pick the "Build..." button.
>Pick the "New..." button.
>Pick "Microsoft Access driver (*.mdb)".
>Pick "Next". Fill in a name and pick "Finish".
> Pick the "Select..." button and select your database.
>Now pick the name you just typed in the list of data sources and
>pick "OK".
>Pick "OK" again.
>Now follow your nose from there.
>
>jrf
>Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program
*Fleming, Jon
Message 9 of 9 (80 Views)

Re:

11-02-1999 03:54 AM in reply to: *amy
In article <8E719E48Cmjohnstonwestmarkpro@192.168.1.121>, Mark J wrote:
> Where do I find these options to Pick?

In AutoCAD. At AutoCAD's "Command:" prompt, type:

dbconnect

In the dbconnect window on the left side of the screen, right-click on
"Data Sources" and pick "Configure Data Source". Type a name and pick
"OK". Now you are at the point where my early message starts.

After you have created that new data source using ODBC instead of Jet,
try running your program using that new data source.

jrf
member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.