Announcing Extension 2 for 3ds Max 2015 and 3ds Max Design 2015
Discussion Groups

AREA website support Forum

Distinguished Mentor
samab

MatchMover Forum?

96 Views, 35 Replies
09-24-2009 09:18 AM
Is there any chance of one being added to The Area? There are probably a few new users (me for one) since it has been put on the subscription site. No-one seems to know where to post questions about it.
click
Click
Please use plain text.
Distinguished Contributor
RedCobra

Re: MatchMover Forum?

09-29-2009 11:35 AM in reply to: samab
I can see that the majority is voting for "Yes"
I guess the AREA should do a forum for match mover...whatever that is :smileytongue:
Application: 3Ds Max 2010
GPU: ATI HD6970
RAM: 8GB
DX: 11
My website: http://www.wix.com/redcobra/Mohammed-Al-Khatib-Portfoilio
Turbosquid Page: http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Artists/redcobra?referral=redcobra
Please use plain text.
Distinguished Contributor
valenRedBull

02-25-2010 12:31 PM in reply to: samab
It would be great to have a MatchMover section. I'm trying to learn it but the tutorials it ships with seem to have a lot of errors and type-o's which are not very helpful.

For example...

Try doing the "Lesson 2: Using supervised tracking" tutorial. As soon as you get to the "Adding tracking points" section, you start to see problems. After you do step (2) it says "the tracking begins then stop around frame 15..." But there is no "tracking" that begins because you didn't do anything in step (2) that would cause tracking to begin. But let's ignore that and move on. When you get down to step (8) it says to use step-tracking by pressing+, but this does nothing. The whole tutorial from that point on is useless because you can't get past step (8). But hey - if I'm doing something wrong in the tutorial then please let me know because I'd love to be able to complete it. It just seems so obvious that this needs to be fixed, so maybe it really is ok and I'm just doing something wrong...?
Please use plain text.
Steve_Curley

02-26-2010 04:01 AM in reply to: samab
Seems sensible to me.

Max 4.2 through 2015 (SP2+EXT1), Composite 2014.
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 335.23).

Please use plain text.
Contributor
j.obenauer

03-19-2010 01:07 PM in reply to: samab
The tutorials from the helpfile also state MM could load AVI-files and it's also shown in the screenshots. The version from Max subscription doesn't allow it, though. And that's just one of the questions i'd like to ask, so a matchmover forum would be due i guess. ImageModeler has one, too. So it would make sense.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
j.obenauer

03-23-2010 03:33 AM in reply to: samab
I wonder if Matchmover will be discontinued. It seems it won't be available for much longer as a standalone app, being available for subscription customers only at this time. My hopes are the technology will be implemented into Composite for Max/Maya. That might be a reason why there's no explicit Matchmover forum on the area.

For anyone looking for information on MM for the time being there's the online help which answers some of the questions that arise (though it doesn't seem to be up to date with the current version). Another great source i have found is the book "Matchmoving: The Invisible Art of Camera Tracking" by Tim Dobbert. It's about matchmoving in general, but most of the examples directly refer to Matchmover. That's probably the most in-depth and production-proven info you can get on the software right now.
Please use plain text.
chadvoller

04-01-2010 11:13 AM in reply to: samab
I've found that the 64 bit version does not work with the tutorial files very well. Doing the 2nd tutorial with Shot_tracked.mmf, it will only eat up memory, but not load the scene. Got up to 2gb used until I forced quit it. Opened it in the 32 bit version, it loaded almost instantly and seems to work fine so far.

Also, for those wondering about AVI or MOV export, those are 32 bit codecs. You have to have them installed on your machine for them to output to them. MatchMover DOES NOT come with codecs. Example: Since QuickTime is still a 32 bit app, so you will only be able to create an MOV with the 32 bit version.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
j.obenauer

04-02-2010 01:42 AM in reply to: samab
So how come there's no AVI import like shown in the manual? There are several codecs installed on my machine. I only used the 32bit version up till now.
Please use plain text.
chadvoller

04-06-2010 10:14 PM in reply to: j.obenauer
Try this polytrauma. Autodesk has given a ghetto workaround of importing AVI into 64bit. Also sounds like a fix will be coming.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14858811&linkID=9242258&CMP=OTC-RSS...

I did not realize AVI was ready for 64 bit, or that a 64 bit app could read a 32 bit codec, or if codecs have any bias to either (which is it, I don't know)?

I would think you'd have more luck using uncompressed image sequences than an AVI anyway. Aren't uncompressed AVI extremely slow?
Please use plain text.
Distinguished Mentor
samab

04-14-2010 06:03 AM in reply to: samab
The thread seems to be acting as a makeshift MM forum. Just thought I would point out in case you have not noticed that there is a new MM 2011 version available on the subscription site, it has not been widely publicised. I have no idea what is new in the new version.
Also Louis Marcoux has done some MM tutorials.
Please use plain text.