Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewport 2.0 Slow Animation Playback (Doesn't Cache)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Borco_1
2264 Views, 4 Replies

Viewport 2.0 Slow Animation Playback (Doesn't Cache)

Hey everyone, 

I'm having an issue with Viewport 2.0 and Vertex Animation Cache using Maya 2015 (same issues for me in 2014). 

Whether I change it to 'System' or 'Hardware' I don't see a performance increase compared to having it disabled.

This is what I'm getting on my rig (with smooth mesh preview): 

Legacy Default Viewport: 18fps

Viewport 2.0 (Vertex Animation Cache: Disabled):18fps  

Viewport 2.0 (Vertex Animation Cache: System):18fps  

Viewport 2.0 (Vertex Animation Cache: Hardware):18fps  

Without smooth mesh preview I can get in the 33-38fps range, but when polishing my animation it would be good to be in Smooth Mesh Preview.

I'm using Direct X 11 in Viewport 2.0 

I've tried turning off 'Deform User Normals' on the rig and I've let is play many times over in maya to see if it'll cache anything. 

Specs: 

CPU: Intel i7 4790K 4GHz 

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

MB: Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark1 

RAM: 16GB 

HD: SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 

I'm guessing it's my video card but any help would be appreciated! I'd really love to get up to 24fps 🙂  

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
bccmini
in reply to: Borco_1

Maybe you could just animate with no smooth mesh as it doesn't effect anything when having it off then on after animation stage but if you don't want that then it's your graphics/video card, could i know what one you have? Also have you got a full hard drive? Or if the worst comes to worst just use a different playback software in maya. (have a look into a free subscription for Pixar's Renderman aswell)
Message 3 of 5
Borco_1
in reply to: bccmini

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I'll be animating without smooth mesh preview on, but for finer details it would be nice to be able to animated in smooth preview as the shot get closer to completion. 

My graphics card is a EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5. This is the exact one I purchased: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130921

Hard drive is brand new, not full at all. 

Can you elaborate on using a different playback software within maya? I wasn't aware that you could do this. 

Message 4 of 5
bccmini

Yes, you can use Mental Ray or Maya software both work well or even as i was saying Pixar's Renderman (http://renderman.pixar.com/view/purchase). I'm at work right now and will get back to you later with anythong else you need.

Message 5 of 5
joarbla

I almost have the same problem as you! I'm animating with smooth mesh turned off and the frame rate is around 18 fps or lower. I also have the same graphics card as you (GeForce GTX 770)!

Have you found a solution for this problem yet? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report