Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skinning: Vertices moving out of place, not staying at bone location

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Kidd_Kosmonaut
1684 Views, 6 Replies

Skinning: Vertices moving out of place, not staying at bone location

I am having an issue that requires a little bit of explanation.

I rigged a model and everything was working fine. I then started going into the blocking phase of some animation I was going to do with it. After a review it was requested that I put some extra bit of rigging on the model. We basically wanted to have the ability to grab both eyes with a controller and pull them around positionally and have the bit of skin they cover follow along with the eyes. So I dropped in some bpones where the eyes are, made the controller bits, linked everything up, so far so good. My problem comes when I try to skin the mesh to the new bones I just dropped in. The verts I have selected, even when given a weight of .1 seem to shoot forward in space. They dont seem to be respecting the bones current position that they are being weighted to. I fear this may have something to do with the fact that I have animation in this scene which I know isnt ideal but were doing a series of xreffing so our master rig file also contains our master animation data. Seperate files are saved out as backups but as far as working files, yeah, its all in there. So could this be whats causing my verts to jump forward in space when I am skinning a bone that they currently are at its position? Or perhaps some errant transform? im not really sure how to fix this and searches so far haven't yeilded much so any information is greatly appreciated. In the image I have selected the two rings beneath his eyes and given them a weight of .1. As you can see the verts are shooting out in front of the mesh when they should be staying in place at the eye bone I am trying to skin them to.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

...And if I could figure out how to edit my original post I think I have found a more descriptive title 'Adding new bones creates unusual broken weighting'.
I lifted the title from a Polycount thread where the user is describing pretty much the exact problem I am having however he is using a CAT rig whereas I am using a custom rig that I have setup. The issue is the same however:
www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1541818

Before I decided to add these new bones I had scaled the rig down to fit in our scene and then began to apply blocking poses. Could the problem be that Max is looking at my initial bind pose (the one before I scaled everything down) and weighting the verts to that pose? That would make sense i guess but I still need to figure out a fix if that is the case. Just wanted to provide some more information. Thanks for any help!

Message 3 of 7

...And if I could figure out how to edit my original post...
You can only edit for 30 mins after the post was made, or until the post receives a reply, whichever comes first.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Kidd_Kosmonaut

hi Kidd kosmonaut  did you get a luck or solution to this?

Message 5 of 7
Kidd_Kosmonaut
in reply to: Anonymous

Hey! Its been awhile since I was dealing with this but if I remember correctly I think I basically just saved out skin envelope information, deleted skin modifier, added new skin modifier, and reloaded the skin envelope information. The skin modifier didnt seem to like me making mesh edits after it had been applied.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Hi Kidd kosmonaut.

Yeah i had a similar problem was hunting for days on the net to try find answers. not much out there but the solution, at a push is fiar safe and simple.

thanks for your idea  and it works. but i also found that when adding bones using the check box in the skin modifier thats called 'always deform' helps this issue also.

at least finding your thread gave me a proper title to call this issue.

many thanks.

Message 7 of 7
vegalands

If bones were animated vertices jump to frame 0 (default). In advanced parameters set Ref.Frame number.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report