Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skinning: Vertices moving out of place, not responding to influence values.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Nazxul360
2151 Views, 2 Replies

Skinning: Vertices moving out of place, not responding to influence values.

Hi everyone,

I have a character that I’ve modelled, rigged and am in the process of skinning, and I have found a few vertices on his knee that are moving out of place as I move his thigh.

It’s almost as though they are receiving influence from another joint somewhere else in the rig, however when I open the ‘smooth skins’ tab in the component editor, nothing seems out of place for these verts. Furthermore, nothing I do in the component editor actually makes any difference. I’ve zeroed out all influence values for all of the verts (letting it reassign the values to another joint) and it makes not one bit of difference. Weight painting extreme values from different joints, hammer weights tool… nothing works.

Perhaps most interestingly, when I mirror the skin to the other half of the character, this problem doesn’t occur.

I’ve attached a picture of the leg in it’s initial position, and some pictures of both legs in extreme poses to better illustrate the problem.

Also, if it helps, here is a link to the scene file.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=EEC971EF784E137B%214893

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Thanks for reading and I really hope someone can help me out.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
tdHendrix
in reply to: Nazxul360

Yea, something weird was going on. I fixed it by duplicating the character's geo, binding the skeleton to the duplicated geo, and copying the skin weights onto the duplicate. Usually if something is happening that shouldn't while skinning I try this to see if it fixes it.

1. Put the character in the bind pose (select the character geo and go to Skin->Go to Bind Pose).

2. Bind Skin the duplicated geo to the skeleton.

3. Select the old geo that has the skin weights, then select the duplicated geo and go to Skin->Edit Smooth Skin->Copy Skin Weights

Greg Hendrix - Senior Technical Animator
LinkedIn : Twitter
Message 3 of 3
Nazxul360
in reply to: Nazxul360

Wow, thanks so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out - you've saved my life here. Cheers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report